Snowdon is a dummy

RABEL222

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
English is my only language. OK Walter, I think you have proved that I am not the smartest guy or gal on this forum. I studied latin, spanish, and english in school 65 years ago, none of which I can now speak.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:00 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
I am not in favor of a strong, overbearing state.

I think you are. You want the state to check your and my emails and phone calls every day... That's overbearing in my mind, and in the mind of the founding fathers.

Actually, you started to lose me after the "I think..."

But let's suppose for a change, you actually did this time.

I do not WANT the state to check your and my emails and phone calls every day...but if we have a system of government in place that decides it makes sense to do that right now, I am willing to give them wide latitude in those decisions. We do have checks and balances in place to test whether any part of government has exceeded its legal functions...and we have courts to test those decisions up the ladder.

So far, the system the "founding fathers" devised has not found gross violations, Olivier. In fact, haven't found any violations that I know about.

Quote:
Quote:
Why would it be an honorable thing for me to move out of my country?

I'm just turning the table on you, Frank. But I do think your statement to CI that the honorable thing for him to do would be to leave the country applies to you much better than to him. He is a better American than you are.

You certainly have a right to think me to be a lesser American than ci, but I suggest you are very wrong. In any case, I am not talking about whether he is a good American or not...I am talking about the fact that he seems to find so much wrong with being here. That is the reason I suggest he leave...not because of his being a good or not-so-good American. If you do not like a movie, book, or television show...get away from it. So...if he despises this country so much...finds so much reprehensible about it...get out.

I find it a delightful place...although I see that we do make many mistakes that I hope one day we will be able to correct. I will vote to put what I consider the best people in office...the people I think have the best chance to get us on the best possible course. ci has decided to throw up his hands...bow out of the process...and just continue to bad mouth the country (and life in general).

Sorry you are having so much trouble with that concept, Olivier...and I guess I should apologize for enjoying your frustration over it so much.

But I don't think I will.
Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
In any case, I am not talking about whether he is a good American or not...I am talking about the fact that he seems to find so much wrong with being here.
Just because someone likes to travel (like c.i. does) and because someone has different opinions than you, Frank, and the US-government ... this makes him/her not liking to live in the U.S.A.?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
In any case, I am not talking about whether he is a good American or not...I am talking about the fact that he seems to find so much wrong with being here.
Just because someone likes to travel (like c.i. does) and because someone has different opinions than you, Frank, and the US-government ... this makes him/her not liking to live in the U.S.A.?

Walter...ci has made a cottage industry talking about how much he loathes this country. Of course (or as he would write "of coarse") when you charge him with that, he tries to weasel out with nonsense and babble. But he bad-mouths this country at every opportunity...says, in effect, that it is a lost cause...that he will not even vote in national elections because EVERYONE is corrupt...and in general hates the place.

My suggestion that he consider moving somewhere else is not inappropriate...not based on differences of opinion. There are many people here with whom I have much, much wider differences...to whom I have not made that suggestion. My suggestion, as I have explain several times, Walter, is that BECAUSE HE HATES THE PLACE SO MUCH...perhaps he would be better off living somewhere else...somewhere that better suits his idea of a decent country.

In any case, I have never said that he does not like to live here. Fact is, I think he likes it just fine. He like to crab and moan and groan...and bad-mouth the country as much as possible.

But he will stay right here!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 06:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
You wrote:
he seems to find so much wrong with being here.

I misunderstood that and did indeed think, it meant "not like to live here".
BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 06:34 am
White paper that explains the effects of NSA and the government spying on the US Economy in details.

It not at all good news.

Quote:

http://oti.newamerica.net/sites/newamerica.net/files/policydocs/Surveilance_Costs_Final.p

New America’s Open Technology Institute
July 2014
Policy Paper
Surveillance Costs:
The NSA’s Impact on the Economy,
Internet Freedom & Cybersecurity
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Once Frank latches onto an idea, no matter how ignorant, he'll push it ad nauseam in believing that repetition will eventually make it true.

Frank has no ability to change his mind, no matter how much facts are presented.

He now thinks that because I don't agree with how our government is 'not' working, that I want to leave this country - the country of my birth, and the country that provided me and my family the comforts and above average standard of living we have enjoyed most of our lives.

Frank can't see the changes, but I can, and I say our government is broken and lousy! It's the worst performance rating of congress against our black president during my life time. If anyone care to notice, I've given Obama credit where due, and lambasted him when I felt he fell short as our president. That's called "free speech."

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 10:46 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Once Frank latches onto an idea, no matter how ignorant, he'll push it ad nauseam in believing that repetition will eventually make it true.

I offer opinions. They are my opinions. That is the truth.

Quote:
Frank has no ability to change his mind, no matter how much facts are presented.

I have changed my mind on many things...and have mentioned it here in A2K. Actually, most of us do from time to time.

Quote:
He now thinks that because I don't agree with how our government is 'not' working, that I want to leave this country - the country of my birth, and the country that provided me and my family the comforts and above average standard of living we have enjoyed most of our lives.

I do not think that at all...and if you actually read what I write, I have said that is not what I mean.

Since you are addressing this to Walter...even Walter realizes that you are wrong in what you are asserting here.

Quote:
Frank can't see the changes,

Why do you suppose I cannot see changes...or is this just another, disguised, way of saying that I am stupid?

I can see changes...just as most of us can. You cannot substantiate what you have asserted here...and you will probably duck responding to what said in response to that silly assertion.

Quote:
...but I can, and I say our government is broken and lousy! It's the worst performance rating of congress against our black president during my life time. If anyone care to notice, I've given Obama credit where due, and lambasted him when I felt he fell short as our president. That's called "free speech."

Careful you do not hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back, ci.

I indulge in free speech just as you do.

You constantly speak ill of this country...constantly moan and groan...and constantly bad-mouth it.

If had any spine at all...you would leave and go somewhere else.

Or you would man up (lot's of luck with that) and stop the constant bad-mouthing. This IS the country of your birth, and the country that has provided you and your family the comforts and above average standard of living you have enjoyed most of your lives.

Why don't you show a bit of gratitude...rather than constantly pissing on a place that does not deserve the amount of crap you are throwing its way.

But that would take a stand-up guy...and you have a long way to go to ever become one of those.

Hey, nice talking with you about this, though. Hope your day is going well. I shot my best round of golf this year yesterday, so I am feeling top-notch.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 10:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
You offer opinions as if it's the only truth. LOL
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 10:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You offer opinions as if it's the only truth. LOL

That seems to be what you do...as you are doing here, ci.

I do not.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:16 am
A free nation? Seem a case of the tail[intelligent community] waging the dog[the elected senators and their staff]

Bet Frank would not care to see these assholes that dare to spy on the senate given a fair trial.

After all they was looking for al-Qaeda sleepers in the Senate and by way of Frank thinking we should be grateful to them for doing so.

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/01/world/senate-intelligence-commitee-cia-interrogation-report.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — An internal investigation by the Central Intelligence Agency has found that its officers improperly penetrated a computer network used by the Senate Intelligence Committee in preparing its report on the C.I.A.'s detention and interrogation program.

In a statement issued Thursday morning, a C.I.A. spokesman said that agency’s inspector general had concluded that C.I.A. officers had acted inappropriately by gaining access to the computers.

The statement said that John O. Brennan, the C.I.A. director, had apologized to the two senior members of the Senate Intelligence Committee and that he would set up an internal accountability board to review the matter. The board will be led by former Senator Evan Bayh, Democrat of Indiana.

The statement gave almost no specifics about the findings of the report, written by David Buckley, the agency’s inspector general.

Officials said there was a tense meeting earlier this week when Mr. Brennan briefed the two senators — Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California and Saxby Chambliss, Republican of Georgia. The officials said Ms. Feinstein had confronted Mr. Brennan about past public statements on the issue, in which he defended the agency’s actions.

When the C.I.A.'s monitoring of the committee became public in March, Mr. Brennan said, “When the facts come out on this, I think a lot of people who are claiming that there has been this tremendous sort of spying and monitoring and hacking will be proved wrong.”

Last year, the C.I.A. gained access to a computer network, reserved solely for Senate investigators working at an agency facility in Northern Virginia, after officials suspected the intelligence committee had improperly obtained an internal C.I.A. report about the detention program, which is now defunct.

Shortly after the C.I.A. action was made public, Ms. Feinstein gave a blistering speech on the floor of the Senate accusing the agency of infringing on the committee’s role as overseer. The C.I.A. statement was first reported by McClatchy.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:21 am
@BillRM,
From your article,
Quote:
Shortly after the C.I.A. action was made public, Ms. Feinstein gave a blistering speech on the floor of the Senate accusing the agency of infringing on the committee’s role as overseer. The C.I.A. statement was first reported by McClatchy.

Senator Feinstein was in full support of the NSA's mass data collection, but gets upset when shes' the target.

From the LA Times.
Quote:
Sen. Dianne Feinstein defends NSA and need for intelligence gathering
February 19, 2014|By Seema Mehta
BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Senator Feinstein was in full support of the NSA's mass data collection, but gets upset when shes' the target.

When you released the dogs of war from any controls or restrains you yourself can end up getting bit or even torn apart.

Are all the members of congress now acting under the control of their own conscious or instead under the threats of blackmail by our intelligent community?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 01:35 pm
Bug spotting: Germans hold 'nature walks' to observe rare NSA spy
Quote:
Weekly walks from Griesheim to nearby US Dagger Complex lead way in multi-generational protest against digital surveillance
[...]
According to reports in the German media, the Dagger Complex is the central base for US surveillance operations in Europe, containing the NSA's military branch as well as the "European Cryptologic Centre" in which several hundred NSA employees collect and analyse data with the help of tools such as the notorious Xkeyscore programme.

Usually, Bangert's spotters carry at least a pair of binoculars and a couple of surveillance cameras made of cardboard. Registration numbers of cars parked at the facility are logged, but actual sightings of NSA employees are rare: "Spies are shy creatures," Bangert said.

On Snowden's birthday, the walkers brought along cake in order to "lure the spies out of their hiding holes". When the owners of the Dagger Complex complained to police about the rubbish left behind by the protesters, they brought rakes and brushes and offered to clean up inside the complex.

For the anniversary, the organisers built a "bed for Snowden", as a symbolic reminder of their ongoing campaign for Germany to offer asylum to the US whistleblower.

So far, Bangert's only interaction with those working in the Dagger Complex is the time a departing employee wound down his car window and called him a "dumbass ************".

"My aim is to get on the NSA's nerves whenever I can," Bangert told the Guardian. "And I think they are pretty irritated at the moment."

The protesters include students in their late teens as well as pensioners. Nadine, a 20-year-old from Lower Saxony, has been joining the protest once a month since last autumn. "Most people prefer to complain from the comfort of their sofa," she said, "but here people are actually doing something to voice their complaints."

Frieder Haug, a 67-year-old retired priest who is also a member of the activist network Attac, said he joined the walks because he felt the protests against digital surveillance had managed to bring together different people in the way the peace movement had in the 1980s.

"Originally, I didn't want to join Attac because it was only full of people my age. Now there is finally a new generation of young people who are not only politicised, but also stubborn in getting their point across."

Bangert said he planned to continue the nature walks indefinitely. "Over the last 12 months, in spite of all the politicians expressing their outrage, absolutely nothing has changed. So of course we have to keep on going".
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 04:38 pm
The US government with the help of the courts are going to dig the graves of American firms as why give your information to a trustee that could be order in secret to turn the information over to a foreign government even when the information is in your own nation?

Quote:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/07/31/microsoft-email-jurisdiction-ireland/13423467/

SAN FRANCISCO –Microsoft must hand over email stored on servers in Ireland to comply with a U.S. warrant in a narcotics case, a federal judge ruled Thursday.

The ruling, by U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska in Manhattan, is the latest in an ongoing battle over who has jurisdiction over users' data in an era when it could be stored anywhere in the world.

Preska argued that because the servers are run by Microsoft, a U.S. company, where they are located doesn't matter.

The case is part of a broad push by the tech industry to get lawmakers to update laws that govern data stored in the cloud.

"The cloud" refers to information that isn't stored on a customer's computer, but on servers that could be anywhere in the world, accessible via the internet.

In an op-ed in The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday, Brad Smith, Microsoft's general counsel, said the basic issue is whether customer emails belong to the customer or the customer and the company that manages the email service.

Microsoft says that the emails were stored in Dublin, Ireland in a data center used for some of its customers outside of the United States.

Microsoft and other tech companies say that email stored on computer servers overseas can't be obtained through warrants because warrants don't reach outside of the United States.

Microsoft plans to appeal.

"The only issue that was certain this morning was that the District Court's decision would not represent the final step in this process. We will appeal promptly and continue to advocate that people's email deserves strong privacy protection in the U.S. and around the world," Smith said in a statement.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 07:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The difference is he is ashamed of his government as are many of us and would very much like to change it for the better. To move to another country would negate the chance to change it. You have to remember that Frank and CI don't get along at this time and must take their comments to each other with a grain of salt. What ever in the hell that last comment means.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 08:07 pm
@BillRM,
Microsoft should headquarter their firm outside the US. Problem solved.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 08:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
CI does like the place too. It's the way it is governed which he doesn't like. But of course you know that already. You're just pretending to be more stupid than you actually are...

Do you think MLK should have left the country, rather than try to fix it?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 08:46 pm
@Olivier5,
I'm glad to see at least someone understands where I'm coming from. Thank you, Olivier5, you made my day!
Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 08:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You're welcome, ci, but I am just stating the obvious... Others know it all too well. They just pretend to not understand you.

Pretending cluelessness has been a popular game on this thread, with more than its share of petty arguments about spelling and grammar.
0 Replies