Snowdon is a dummy

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 04:40 pm
@spendius,
It goes way beyond what you describe. I've opined about how the GOP tries to control women's bodies, restrict our citizen's voting rights, and they'd rather spend money on policing the world over helping our own citizens.

Obama has gone beyond those controls; they now control our communication and freedom of thought.

My decision not to vote in future national elections was the correct one; our own government, chosen by the American People, are the very people destroying our country.

There's nothing more we can do as citizens. We have found the enemy, and ...

TNCFS
spendius

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I voted once ci. I was maybe 21 or 22. It's a bit late to discover the futility of it at your age.

Are you a bit slow on the uptake or something?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 05:59 pm
@spendius,
Slow is kind; I've tried my best to be a "good" citizen by voting in every election since I was old enough. When I wrote to my government reps in DC, and they ignore "everything" I've written about and continue their trek to destroy our Constitution, it's time to "wrap it up!" It's futile and a waste of time.
spendius

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's humiliating actually ci. After I voted that once I felt absolutely ashamed of myself.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI: There's nothing more we can do as citizens. We have found the enemy, and ...

---------------

I hate to say I told you so, CI. One vast relentless stream of propaganda propping up the monumental Potemkin village that is the USA.

"The general public are viewed as no more than ignorant and meddlesome outsiders, a bewildered herd. And it's the responsible men who have to make decisions and to protect society from the trampling and rage of the bewildered herd. Now since it's a democracy they - the herd, that is - are permitted occasionally to lend their weight to one or another member of the responsible class. That's called an election."

-- Noam Chomsky
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I also hope I'm wrong. PLEASE reassure me that this scenario is impossible and that the NSA doesn't the means to end or derail any politician's career if he was perceived as a threat to them... I'd sleep better if I thought this not the case.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 06:53 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Sin and sex at the centre of things eh?

Not really. They're just tools, weapons to use in a cynic political fight. Power and money are at the center of things.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 08:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Google Hoover and blackmail and see what the misused of this kind of information/resource/power can do.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Edgar_Hoover

According to President Harry S. Truman, Hoover transformed the FBI into his private secret police force; Truman stated that "we want no Gestapo or secret police. The FBI is tending in that direction. They are dabbling in sex-life scandals and plain blackmail. J. Edgar Hoover would give his right eye to take over, and all congressmen and senators are afraid of him".[5]
Olivier5

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 10:30 am
@BillRM,
Yes, chilling...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 05:03 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Reports: NSA gets under 30 percent of phone data
Associated Press By STEPHEN BRAUN
1 hour ago
NSA logo over telephone numbers.
View photo
WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Security Agency collects less than 30 percent of calling data from Americans despite the agency's massive daily efforts to sweep up the bulk of U.S. phone records, two U.S. newspapers reported Friday.

Related Stories

Government panel urges end to phone data spying Associated Press
PCLOB report latest blow to NSA surveillance policies National Constitution Center
U.S. privacy board says NSA phone program illegal, should end Reuters
FISC Approves Phone Metadata Collection Changes The Atlantic Wire
US looks at ways to prevent spying on its spying Associated Press
Citing anonymous officials and sources, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal both said the NSA's phone data collection has had a steep drop-off since 2006. According to the newspapers, the government has been unable to keep pace since then with a national surge in cellphone usage and dwindling landline use by American consumers.

The Post said the NSA takes in less than 30 percent of all call data; the Journal said it is about or less than 20 percent. In either case, the figures are far below the amount of phone data collected in 2006, when the government extracted nearly all of U.S. calling records, both newspapers reported. NSA officials intend to press for court authorization to broaden their coverage of cellphone providers to return the government to near-total coverage of Americans' calling data, the newspapers said.

The lowered estimates for the sweep of government surveillance would be significant because federal judges, members of government task forces and media accounts based on documents provided by NSA leaker Edward Snowden have all described the NSA's bulk metadata collection as sweeping in millions of records from American phone users. Lowered estimates could be cited by officials to alleviate privacy and civil liberties fears, but they could also raise questions about the government's rationale for the program — that the NSA's use of all Americans' phone records are critical in preventing potential terrorist plots.

National security officials have said that the collection of bulk data is essential to national security because it provides a massive pool of calling records and other metadata that NSA analysts can quickly search to pinpoint calling patterns showing evidence of potential terror threats. Congressional critics have pressed efforts to end the bulk phone data sweeps, and two panels of experts have urged President Barack Obama to end the program because they see little counter-terrorism advantages and say the program intrudes on personal liberties.

Obama has committed to ending government storage of phone records but still wants the NSA to have full access to the data. National security officials did not immediately comment on the new reports.

30%? Anybody believe this?
JTT

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 06:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI: 30%? Anybody believe this?

------------
When you consider it as a function of USA intelligence then yes it's believable.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 08:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
30%? Anybody believe this?

I surely do not buy into that claim but then I by your words I am.............

Quote:
They're all sick in the head, and unreliable sources for any information.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:29 pm
The more things change the more they stay the same. Y'all really never learn a thing and that's just what the criminals that occupy the WH want.

The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers - Trailer
ByFirst Run Features - Trailers, Free Content, and More!90,342 views

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gXlmQeSpqI4
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 02:56 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Edward Snowden’s hypocrisy on Russia

By Gabriel Schoenfeld, Published: February 7, 2014
Gabriel Schoenfeld is a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute and the author of “Necessary Secrets: National Security, the Media, and the Rule of Law.”

Edward Snowden’s removal of thousands, perhaps millions, of highly classified documents from the National Security Agency and his decision to turn them over to journalists for publication ignited a fierce debate about who and what he is. On one side are those who hail Snowden as a whistleblower, someone who, as the New York Times editorialized, “has done his country a great service.” Others regard him as a criminal or traitor. Neither this debate nor the public discussion of government secrecy and surveillance policies that Snowden’s actions sparked will be resolved anytime soon.

Snowden, meanwhile, says that his “mission’s already accomplished,” that he has given Americans a “say in how they are governed” and that he has succeeded in exposing the workings of what he has called the unbridled “surveillance state.”

But one must ask: Are Snowden’s actions in consonance with his words?

Snowden has taken sanctuary in Russia, a country that, when it was under communist control, epitomized the idea of a surveillance state, complete with a secret police force — the KGB — that worked assiduously to monitor and control the population. Today Russia is a quasi-democracy that has retained some features of its communist past. Over the past decade or so, under the tutelage of President Vladimir Putin, a former KGB officer, it has been sliding ever deeper back into authoritarianism.

That authoritarianism is maintained in part by a domestic surveillance system. Two intrepid Russian journalists, Andrei Soldatov and Irina Borogan, explain in the fall 2013 issue of World Policy Journal how it works. They show that the Federal Security Service (FSB), the successor organization to the KGB, has invested in technology that allows it to monitor telephone and Internet communications and to collect and store not just metadata — information about call destinations and durations — but also the content of communications. The Russian state uses that technology to engage in essentially unchecked surveillance of telephone calls, e-mail traffic, blogs, online bulletin boards and Web sites. Soldatov and Borogan conclude that over the past two years “the Kremlin has transformed Russia into a surveillance state — at a level that would have made the Soviet KGB . . . envious.”

Extensive domestic surveillance is far from the only threat to liberty in Russia. The democracy watchdog organization Freedom House reports that freedom of the press is under serious threat there. On one side, the authorities use their control over mass media outlets to engage in “blatant propaganda” that glorifies the Kremlin leadership. On the other side, the government engages in uninhibited intimidation of critics and suppression of dissenting views. It employs violence to silence journalists and whistleblowers. The cases are becoming legion; Snowden could ask Ulyana Malashenko of Kommersant FM about her beating at police hands or ask Elena Milashina of Novaya Gazeta about hers.

Freedom’s parlous condition in Russia is not exactly a secret today, nor was it when Snowden chose to fly to Moscow last summer and ask for political asylum. If his objective is to give people a voice in how they are governed, and to expose massive unbridled surveillance, he could speak out about practices of the Russian government that, in their scope and lawlessness, go far beyond anything ever undertaken or even alleged to have been undertaken by the U.S. government.

For better or for worse, Snowden has a huge following around the world. His words are listened to by millions — so he could make a difference where it counts. Yet he has been silent about the surveillance and other repressive state machinery surrounding him. Why? Is he being polite to his hosts? Does he have concerns about what the FSB might do in response to what he might say?

Whatever the answer, Snowden’s silence about the quasi-dictatorship where he has taken sanctuary is telling. It is yet more evidence, if evidence were needed, that he is not a whistleblower at all. It suggests that, instead of being a brave speaker of truths, he fears American justice, and not only American justice. It also suggests he is a hypocrite, with principles that he applies selectively against the democracy he has betrayed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/snowdens-hypocrisy-on-russia/2014/02/07/23c403c2-8f51-11e3-b227-12a45d109e03_story.html?hpid=z4
BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 05:11 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
Snowden has taken sanctuary in Russia, a country that, when it was under communist control, epitomized the idea of a surveillance state, complete with a secret police force — the KGB — that worked assiduously to monitor and control the population. Today Russia is a quasi-democracy that has retained some features of its communist past. Over the past decade or so, under the tutelage of President Vladimir Putin, a former KGB officer, it has been sliding ever deeper back into authoritarianism.

Is Russian Snowden country and are citizens of Russia his fellow countrymen who he had a moral obligation to informed it people of that government breaking it constitution behind it people back?

Nor is Russia from all accounts his first or even third or fourth choice as a sanctuary nation.

Now if Snowden would decide sometime in the future to become a Russian citizen then such moral questions might be fairly ask of him but not now.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 05:31 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Any port in a storm.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 07:19 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
For better or for worse, Snowden has a huge following around the world. His words are listened to by millions — so he could make a difference where it counts. Yet he has been silent about the surveillance and other repressive state machinery surrounding him. Why? Is he being polite to his hosts? Does he have concerns about what the FSB might do in response to what he might say?

Whatever the answer, Snowden’s silence about the quasi-dictatorship where he has taken sanctuary is telling. It is yet more evidence, if evidence were needed, that he is not a whistleblower at all. It suggests that, instead of being a brave speaker of truths, he fears American justice, and not only American justice. It also suggests he is a hypocrite, with principles that he applies selectively against the democracy he has betrayed.

I hadn't even thought about the above, but the author is right, Snowden hasn't talked about the Russian surveillance when he has been on TV. It don't take a genius to know that he probably rightfully fears he would be put in prison since that seems to be a practice in Russia. Moreover, I just find it suspicious that the first person he reaches out to is a Kremlin loyalist.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 07:24 am
@revelette2,
The first person he reached out to was a Guardian journalist.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 07:25 am
@izzythepush,
... and the American filmmaker in Berlin.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 07:27 am
@izzythepush,
I was thinking of when he got to Russia to represent him and basically be his spokesperson and it was that same Kremlin loyalist who convinced him not to seek asylum anywhere else.