Snowdon is a dummy

izzythepush

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 08:32 am
@spendius,
The programmes weren't about a dystopian nightmare as such, but about how people's fears (nightmares) are used to manipulate them. In order to secure funding for intelligence services, it's necessary to exaggerate the threats facing domestic security.
Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 08:40 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Just watched a movie about the NSA. It probably reveals a lot about what they are capable of doing and are doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKxQv_SVBSY&hd=1

You have to have gone completely around the bend. A Hollywood flick about NSA and you think it's accurate????? Frankly, that's just insulting and makes you look like a boob. I'm guessing you think Harry Potter is a MI 5 operative. If you want a more realistic film, check what was done by National Geographic that is the most thorough and unfogged explanation of what the NSA actually does. Everybody is getting their panties bunched when the actual truth is, the NSA is just not that into you. Does anybody remember where Americans troops are currently dodging bullets?

If I may, Glitterbag...

...AMEN!

Well said.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 08:45 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Izzy, the alternative is ONLY TO COLLECT DATA ON PEOPLE WHO INTEND TO COMMIT TERRORISM.

Is that what you are advocating?

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I forgot about it. You're wrong, and setting up a false premise. There are plenty of alternatives to mass data trawling, which as David Davis has pointed out is not effective. You can target resources more effective, look at who is downloading jihadi literature, far right literature, bomb making information. Target the people who use specific websites, those they associate with. That's going to be a much more effective use of resources, because at the end of the day the real hard core will be off the grid, and you won't find them by seeing what trousers I bought from ebay.

Okay....it is fine that you suppose there are better alternatives, Izzy.

But I would prefer that the people entrusted with the responsibility for determining that...make the determination...not you or Edward Snowden.

In any case...the guy still has a chance to clear his name. Come back to the US...and do it by defending himself in a fair trial.
spendius

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 09:05 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The programmes weren't about a dystopian nightmare as such, but about how people's fears (nightmares) are used to manipulate them. In order to secure funding for intelligence services, it's necessary to exaggerate the threats facing domestic security.

I wouldn't sit through a series to discover a thing like that. It's been obvious for thousands of years. The medical lot do the same.

They invent an expensive treatment for something nasty, they PR it through their allies in Media and the population demands it. The politicians have to find the money, which makes them unpopular, and the medics come up smelling of roses: the fundamental priority.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 09:07 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Snowden was not an NSA employee, he was a high-school dropout, who at the age of 29 managed to impress a defense contractor he was the best thing since sliced bread. So

LOL this high school drop out walk away with the family jewels of NSA and manage to find a very very effective means of placing the government feet into the fire.

If he was nothing but a high school drop out then NSA have almost no security when it come to all the information if gather and the means of doing so.

Who else is tapping into NSA information for more evil purposes then informing the American people of the monster that had been created in the name of national security?

The mind can not even conceived of what a few junior college graduates could do given the achievements of a poor "stupid" high school drop out.
Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 11:28 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Snowden was not an NSA employee, he was a high-school dropout, who at the age of 29 managed to impress a defense contractor he was the best thing since sliced bread. So

LOL this high school drop out walk away with the family jewels of NSA and manage to find a very very effective means of placing the government feet into the fire.

If he was nothing but a high school drop out then NSA have almost no security when it come to all the information if gather and the means of doing so.

Who else is tapping into NSA information for more evil purposes then informing the American people of the monster that had been created in the name of national security?

The mind can not even conceived of what a few junior college graduates could do given the achievements of a poor "stupid" high school drop out.

It must be very invigorating to be able to despise your government as much as you do.

My bet: If another attack happened...you'd be one of the loudest voices protesting that the government did not do enough to protect.

There are hard working people trying to do the work of government...and they know they have to put up with second guessers like you.
spendius

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 11:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
There are hard working people

Another guess.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 11:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
It must be very invigorating to be able to despise your government as much as you do.

You seems not to be able to understand the different between criminals that have gotten a hold of the power of government positions to tear up the constitution and the ideals of the nation with the normal and correct working of the US government.

Government officers lying to congress and congress members that does not acted when that lying come to light does not deserve respect.
izzythepush

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 11:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
But I would prefer that the people entrusted with the responsibility for determining that...make the determination...not you or Edward Snowden.

Security services always want more powers. Both MI5 and the NSA have used techniques that have evaded the law. They should not be allowed to do that.
Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 11:59 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

You seems not to be able to understand the different between criminals that have gotten a hold of the power of government positions to tear up the constitution and the ideals of the nation with the normal and correct working of the US government.

Ahhh...and "the correct working of the US government" is something you incorrectly suppose YOU decide.

I see.

Quote:
Government officers lying to congress and congress members that does not acted when that lying come to light does not deserve respect.

That mangled sentence does not deserve respect, Bill.
BillRM

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 12:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Security services always want more powers. Both MI5 have used techniques that have evaded the law. They should not be allowed to do that.

You mean no license to kill as Ian Fleming gave to his character James Bond? Drunk
Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 12:01 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Security services always want more powers. Both MI5 have used techniques that have evaded the law. They should not be allowed to do that.

I have no problem with that, Izzy. But neither you, me, Snowden, Bill, nor any of the other posters here in A2K decide what is or is not the law.

In our country...the SCOTUS decides.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 12:02 pm
@BillRM,
Come on, Bill. James Bond was a fictional character that enthralled many fans - including me! I got many of my associates and friends addicted to Ian Fleming's stories/movies, and I even named one of my son, Sean. Mr. Green
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 12:04 pm
@BillRM,
You're confusing the real world and fictional characters again.

The James Bond films aren't documentaries.

Have you been checked for Alzheimers? That might explain your lousy sentence construction.
BillRM

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 12:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Ahhh...and "the correct working of the US government" is something you incorrectly suppose YOU decide.

The american people as a whole does indeed have that right and by the polls we are unhappy about what had been being done in secret in our names.

Love the idea that our tax funds are being used to spy on all of us against the fourth amendment.

You however are the kind of person that the German government in the 1930s would have love as you seems to have a problem with anyone exercising the right to speak out against government actions.
BillRM

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 12:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You're confusing the real world and fictional characters again.

The James Bond films aren't documentaries.

Have you been checked for Alzheimers? That might explain your lousy sentence construction

Where was you when they was handling out the dry sense of humor that is supposed to be the birthright of all Englishmen?

Was you perhaps giving a stick put up your ass at the time instead?
Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 12:36 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

The american people as a whole does indeed have that right and by the polls we are unhappy about what had been being done in secret in our names.

You mean the people who voted Barack Obama as president...to make decisions about who will run our intelligence services...and how they will do it?

Yeah...that's what I thought.

Quote:
Love the idea that our tax funds are being used to spy on all of us against the fourth amendment.

Good for you.

Quote:
You however are the kind of person that the German government in the 1930s would have love as you seems to have a problem with anyone exercising the right to speak out against government actions.

I have no problem with it, Bill. And when you do it, I enjoy it almost as much as a lecture by Professor Irwin Corey.
BillRM

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 12:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You mean the people who voted Barack Obama as president...to make decisions about who will run our intelligence services...and how they will do it?

Who could have guess that a former constitutional professor who stated the same kinds of concerns as I been stating when he was a senator would do a 180 degree turn once he became president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell perhaps he is being blackmail by the NSA in some manner as it is very strange indeed for him to outdo Bush once he became president.

After all it is known that with far less sources of information that Hoover blackmail presidents and congresspersons.

That a real danger to having a free country when you placed no limit on the intelligence community.
hawkeye10

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 01:05 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

Who could have guess that a former constitutional professor who stated the same kinds of concerns as I been stating when he was a senator would do a 180 degree turn once he became president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to the extent that one full term as POTUS seemingly never found him with any interest to scale back the NSA or impose additional oversight upon it in order to protect the Constitution. He has got to be one of the 500 most inexcused Americans to show such disregard for the integrity of the foundation of this republic....he and 500 other Constitutional scholars should more than the rest of us know better...should be expected to do better.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Feb, 2014 01:23 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

I don't think there was a 180 degree turn...but there were significant changes. And I could have guessed there would be...just as I would expect major changes from damn near every person who moves up to that office.

Quote:
Hell perhaps he is being blackmail by the NSA in some manner as it is very strange indeed for him to outdo Bush once he became president.

He's doing his job. You are the one who seems to think he is Satan.

After all it is known that with far less sources of information that Hoover blackmail presidents and congresspersons.

Quote:
That a real danger to having a free country when you placed no limit on the intelligence community.

So...you are under the assumption that there are "no limits" on our intelligence community.

Well...you are entitled to your delusions.