Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:34 am
@revelette2,
Manning was nothing like Snowden.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:35 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

revelette2 wrote:
Forgive me if I don't take what Snowden said at face value.
Most do here, even our secret services, the chancellor, ... ....

Well make no mistake, Walter, although people like Revelette and I do not take what Snowden says at face value...there are lots of Americans who hate what they refer to as "our government" who take almost every word Snowden says as gospel...and who think Snowden did an heroic thing in doing what he now stands accused of doing.

Of course, WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT...which means these misguided people really just hate the US. And, of course, there are all sorts of people outside the US who hate us, too.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
I've deleted me quoted post ... because it's more the documents which I and others take at face value.
However, I completely can understand what he says and how he feels - I've worked as a social worker with asylum seekers.
JPB

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
And, there are lots of Americans who don't "hate what they refer to as "our government", but have lost a degree of faith in believing the party line. We're supposed to have a free press to help keep the government honest. We're supposed to have a set of civil liberties that prevent government overreach. Snowden took his discoveries to the press - that entity explicitly prescribed for within the Constitution to investigate and expose government overreach. I don't believe in anyone's gospel, but I sure do believe that the free press serves a purpose and preventing government overreach into the lives of it's citizens is a worthy effort.
JPB

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Of course, WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT...which means these misguided people really just hate the US. And, of course, there are all sorts of people outside the US who hate us, too.

There may in fact be some haters amongst Snowden's supporters, but I've yet to meet or read from any. There is a wide continuum of opinion from Traitor to Hero with almost everyone I know falling somewhere in the middle.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:58 am
Spencer Ackerman, national security editor for The Guardian U.S., spokr at the 2014 American Library Association Midwinter Meeting in the Convention Center in Philadelphia:
Guardian editor discusses Snowden's data leaks
Quote:
[...]Ackerman discounted allegations that Snowden was a Russian spy. "I believe wholeheartedly and 100 percent that we should consider Edward Snowden a whistle-blower," he said.

But he acknowledged a difference of opinion: "You can think the worst of the guy and still think we should probably know our phone records have been collected by the government without suspicion of wrongdong."

He predicted a tough congressional battle over legislation that would end bulk surveillance and data collection. The NSA has indicated it would likely fight such a law in the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

"This is a tremendously thorny and complex issue," he said, "that is going to intensify even if this law passes."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I've deleted me quoted post ... because it's more the documents which I and others take at face value.
However, I completely can understand what he says and how he feels - I've worked as a social worker with asylum seekers.

I understand where you and the others are coming from, Walter.

For the record, I am all in favor of countries granting asylum...and I have no problem with Snowden seeking or being granted asylum. Obviously, I would much prefer that he be returned for trial, but the truth is that the granting of asylum is well worth support...and if he were to remain in Russia under a grant (ordinary or extraordinary) of asylum, I would not voice a personal objection.

He is, however, a fugitive from justice at the moment...and if he were to leave the protection of Russia, American officials would be well within their rights to attempt to capture the fugitive until such time as he is granted asylum somewhere else. As for "safe passage" between those two points...I would hope that the US would do everything in its considerable power to take custody of Snowden anywhere along the route.
Frank Apisa

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 11:00 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

And, there are lots of Americans who don't "hate what they refer to as "our government", but have lost a degree of faith in believing the party line. We're supposed to have a free press to help keep the government honest. We're supposed to have a set of civil liberties that prevent government overreach. Snowden took his discoveries to the press - that entity explicitly prescribed for within the Constitution to investigate and expose government overreach. I don't believe in anyone's gospel, but I sure do believe that the free press serves a purpose and preventing government overreach into the lives of it's citizens is a worthy effort.

Fine. But if there actually is lawful means to steal classified documents and release them to the press...then Snowden ought to stand trial and invoke those means and clear his name.

I honestly do not think there are any...but I am not a lawyer so there may be.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 11:07 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

There may in fact be some haters amongst Snowden's supporters, but I've yet to meet or read from any.

Well, you may be right on that, JPB, but I have read stuff right here in this forum...and in a couple of others where I participate, that indicate to me that there are MANY Americans who apparently despise our government...and will never be satisfied with it until it changes to what THEY consider true American government.

Quote:
There is a wide continuum of opinion from Traitor to Hero with almost everyone I know falling somewhere in the middle.

I certainly agree that there is a wide continuum of opinion from traitor to hero...but my experience, unlike yours, seems to have a vast majority of the people falling at either end of the spectrum rather than in the middle.

Some people here in A2K have expressed specifically that they think him a hero...some have expressed specifically that they think him a traitor.

I personally have said on several occasions that I do NOT think him a traitor...and I most assuredly do not consider him a hero. Very, very few people have agreed with that position that I can remember. MOST are on one side or the other...and aggressively so.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 11:21 am
@revelette2,
You,
Quote:
As glitterbug said, there were other avenues he could have taken to report any alleged crimes other than taking classified documents and giving them to other persons. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Please reveal to us other options Snowden had? I think, off hand, you're full of shyt!
cicerone imposter

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 11:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You wrote,
Quote:
@revelette2,
I don't think that seeking asylum is a sign of cowardice.

Snowden understood that a government that breaks the laws of their land can also break other laws. Obama has the authority to imprison any US citizen he deems a terrorist - without legal representation. Who trusts Obama?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 11:28 am
@revelette2,
You,
Quote:
Forgive me if I don't take what Snowden said at face value.

Why not? He did the only honorable thing as a US citizen by revealing that our government was performing illegal wiretapping of all citizens. All citizens are not guilty of any crime. This is not a police state - yet.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 04:05 pm
More information about Snowdon's tv-interview here: Wanted dead by US officials, Snowden tells German TV
Quote:
[...]NDR's Interviewer Seipel, in a pre-broadcast interview also published online by NDR, said Snowden's sole "life insurance" was that he had entrusted journalists of the New York Times, Washington Post and Britain's Guardian with the material.

At regular intervals, Seipel said, these media outlets triggered a series of "small thematic bombs."

'Very carefully' selected documents

"The NSA is still trying to guess, how much material it involves. At the start there was talk of 200,000, then of 600,000 and now there are around 1.7 million documents," Seipel said.

Snowden has "very carefully" selected documents that rather than focusing on individual persons, focused on the structure of the US secret services and alleged "violations," Seibel said.

"He has shown what happens within this apparatus, also in connection with other services."

The accusation that he has endangered the lives of thousands of soldiers or secret service employees is in my view feeble-minded," Seibel said, adding that Snowden had a "very strong" sense of justice.
"That [President Barack] Obama said he was not a patriot is for him, I think, quite difficult enough."
[...]
The interviewer said Snowden was "very precise in what he says, but naturally was also very cautious" to avoid breaching the terms of his asylum in Russia.
spendius

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 06:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
If failure to protect Obarmy from embarrassment is traitorous then Snowden is a traitor. Failing to protect the American revolution and the Constitution has thus become unpatriotic.

That I think Snowden was off his head with idealism inculcated into him as a lad is neither here nor there. I think Jesus was off his head too.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 27 Jan, 2014 01:43 am
@spendius,
Full transcript of Snowden's tv-interview ... in German.

Ultimately, he doesn't say much more than he told the "Guardian" last year, said on Christmas on British tv and on Thursday in the live chat.
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 27 Jan, 2014 07:09 am
One of Snowden's representatives stated that Snowden would be willing to discuss returning to the US if guaranteed amnesty. DOJ demands a precondition of a guilty plea. Sounds like they're dancing around some sort of clemency agreement.
Frank Apisa

Mon 27 Jan, 2014 07:50 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

One of Snowden's representatives stated that Snowden would be willing to discuss returning to the US if guaranteed amnesty. DOJ demands a precondition of a guilty plea. Sounds like they're dancing around some sort of clemency agreement.

Sounds to me as though Snowden's representative is living in a dream world.

He is suggesting that Snowden would be willing to honor the US by coming back here to live (and bask in the accolades of people silly enough to consider him a hero)...but only if he is guaranteed amnesty!!!!!

The response "we'll talk about it if he comes back an pleads guilty"...was the reasonable response to that nonsense.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 27 Jan, 2014 08:50 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
He is, however, a fugitive from justice at the moment..
The US government has lost all rights to be the arbiter of justice in my opinion. Snowden is a fugitive from the corrupt and abusive US government...he is a freedom fighter. Going after Snowden is a dumb as is the US policy of assassination by drone, short term goals accomplished at the cost of squandering the right to rule.
hawkeye10

Mon 27 Jan, 2014 08:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
And I hope he is returned to the US soon so he can clear his good name in a fair trial.

there is no such verdict of innocent in our system. You also seem to be confused about what due process is....it includes prosecutorial discretion to not charge citizens for crimes committed if the best interests of the collective are best served by not involving the courts.
revelette2

Mon 27 Jan, 2014 08:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
I am not saying he should have went up through the proper channels in the NSA, obviously that has been tried and failed in the past. But he could have thought outside the box if he really wanted to change the way we try to track terrorist through surveillance and went to those senators (and others) who have long been against vast surveillance and tell them what he knew through his work as a NSA contactor. He would have been a valuable ally for them.

Quote:
Ron Wyden of Oregon, Mark Udall of Colorado and Martin Heinrich of New Mexico, all strong critics of the NSA’s reach into Americans’ lives.

source
0 Replies