Snowdon is a dummy

BillRM

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 10:21 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
he chose to STEAL vast amounts of information

That information of unconstitutional actions by elements of the government belong to the American people not the people who classified their own wrong doings.
glitterbag

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 10:30 pm
@BillRM,
So maybe we should offer possible military defensives in the newspapers and let everybody vote and tell the military how we want things done, how many tanks they should have and while we are at it, how about we publish sensitive technology online so contractors and hostile forces can openly bid or steal plans.
BillRM

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 10:33 pm
@glitterbag,
The last I look the military budget was a matter of public record including the number and kinds of military hardware we are buying and was voted on by congress not the military.

So you wish the military to set their own budget in secret?

Or in other word the only way we can be safe is to have a military/intelligence secret dictatorship?
glitterbag

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 10:40 pm
@BillRM,
Of course not you idiot, do you think the entire country should have been informed we were developing the Stealth before it was battle ready. Not giving unfriendly nations a heads up works in our favor. Not handing them methods and sources on a silver platter provides this county with a safeguard.
cicerone imposter

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 12:09 am
@glitterbag,
The "stealth aircraft" is old news (over 30 years old); they were not fool-proof in every way when they first came out.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 05:13 am
@glitterbag,
The steal fighters was reported on and known about long before it was official released to the public and before it went into service,

We now had have that ability for decades with no other nation being able to copy it to date.

Hell the super fast Blackbird jet developed as a black program in the 1960s was flown until it retirement in 1998 with no other nation being able to match it.
BillRM

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 05:37 am
@BillRM,
Footnote a model company even released a kit for the F-117 before the government would admit that such a plane even existence.
0 Replies

revelette2

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 07:22 am
@cicerone imposter,
As glitterbug said, there were other avenues he could have taken to report any alleged crimes other than taking classified documents and giving them to other persons. Two wrongs do not make a right.
revelette2

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 07:33 am
@spendius,
This is an idiotic argument, I think they call it a strawman around here. I am not a history buff so I am not going to get into WW2 other than to say we (as in the US) didn't get involved until after Pear Harbor was attacked.

I can understand you all's arguments and even agree to an extent on some of it, however, despite it being an unpopular view, I still maintain that the way Snowden went about the whole thing was not only cowardly (stealing, then running off to countries he knows won't send him back, I mean if he believed in what he did, he should have stayed to stand behind his convictions. Back in the sixties when protestors broke the law, they proudly went to jail because they considered it worth the price...) but also irresponsible and has probably done more damage to our operations and security than we know about in the process.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 07:47 am
@revelette2,
I don't think that seeking asylum is a sign of cowardice.
revelette2

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 07:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I think equating Snowden with others who have sought asylum because they feared for their lives in their own country, it kinda insulting, but that's just my opinion. I mean he stole papers he had no business taking, went to a countries not exactly friendly to the US. We still don't know what all he took and who all he shared it with.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 08:20 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
We still don't know what all he took and who all he shared it with.
Actually, he (Snowden) said it today: he doesn't have the documents anymore but gave them to selected journalists. (That's what I'd thought because of which media published when what documents.)

Quote:
The National Security Agency is involved in industrial espionage and will take intelligence regardless of its value to national security, the former NSA contractor Edward Snowden has told a German television network.

In text released ahead of a lengthy interview to be broadcast on Sunday, the public broadcaster ARD TV quoted Snowden saying the NSA does not limit its espionage to issues of national security and citing the German engineering firm Siemens as one target.

“If there's information at Siemens that's beneficial to US national interests – even if it doesn't have anything to do with national security – then they'll take that information nevertheless,” Snowden said, according to ARD, which recorded the interview in Russia, where Snowden has claimed asylum.

Snowden also told the German public broadcasting network he no longer has possession of any documents or information on NSA activities and has turned everything he had over to select journalists. He said he did not have any control over the publication of the information, ARD said.
... ... ...
Source and full report

Link to the original German source
spendius

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 08:23 am
@revelette2,
One thing Snowden cannot be accused of is cowardice.

From his point of view he had no alternative. His principles over-rode his self interest it seems to me.

If damage has been done to operations isn't it the programme NSA was running that caused that?

Hitler executed and tortured people who were aiding his enemies in the name of higher laws. Schindler was a traitor in the eyes of the law as it then stood.

It wouldn't have bothered me if I had been working for the NSA on a fat salary if it was up every American's arse. All day long.

So--one might say that feeding the young Snowden lad with all that sanctity of the Constitution pap in his formative years is the real cause.
BillRM

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 08:41 am
@spendius,
Quote:
So--one might say that feeding the young Snowden lad with all that sanctity of the Constitution pap in his formative years is the real cause.

LOL and thank god we still are feeding at least some of our younger people that constitution pap.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 09:10 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
... a courageous contribution to American liberty: “Pretty typical people can do atypical things and make a difference.”

That's, however, not related to Snowden but to "The Burglary: The Discovery of J. Edgar Hoover’s Secret FBI"

But as the above linked book review says:
Quote:
“Pretty typical people can do atypical things and make a difference.”
As Edward Snowden might add, “Yes we can!”
Frank Apisa

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
... a courageous contribution to American liberty: “Pretty typical people can do atypical things and make a difference.”

That's, however, not related to Snowden but to "The Burglary: The Discovery of J. Edgar Hoover’s Secret FBI"

But as the above linked book review says:
Quote:
“Pretty typical people can do atypical things and make a difference.”
As Edward Snowden might add, “Yes we can!”

You are correct, of course, Walter. And I hope he is returned to the US soon so he can clear his good name in a fair trial.
revelette2

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Forgive me if I don't take what Snowden said at face value.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
To quote Snowden from the above mentioned tv-interview: "These people, and they are government officials, have said that they would like to blow my brain out or poison me when I leave the supermarket and then watch me die in the shower." ("Diese Leute, und das sind Regierungsbeamte, haben gesagt, sie würden mir nur zu gerne eine Kugel in den Kopf jagen oder mich vergiften, wenn ich aus dem Supermarkt komme und dann zusehen, wie ich unter der Dusche sterbe.")
(Referring to a report at buzzfeed[/b[/url] with that.)
revelette2

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:31 am
@spendius,
Manning had many of the same convictions and did sort of the same thing except he didn't run off to another country, he stayed to face the music of his convictions, despite the obvious ,he was more a man than Snowden was in my view.
Frank Apisa

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

To quote Snowden from the above mentioned tv-interview: "These people, and they are government officials, have said that they would like to blow my brain out or poison me when I leave the supermarket and then watch me die in the shower." ("Diese Leute, und das sind Regierungsbeamte, haben gesagt, sie würden mir nur zu gerne eine Kugel in den Kopf jagen oder mich vergiften, wenn ich aus dem Supermarkt komme und dann zusehen, wie ich unter der Dusche sterbe.")
(Referring to a report at buzzfeed.)

I imagine there are people who would. I am not among them. But IF he did steal those classified documents...and IF he did release those documents to unauthorized persons...I would like to see him tried...and if convicted, subjected to the full punishment the law allows.

But whether he comes back to the US to face a fair trial or not...I suspect he will never, ever again have a safe moment on the streets.
0 Replies