Snowdon is a dummy

JPB

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Humor me.

You've been saying since last summer that Snowden needs to return to the US and stand trial. You may or may not have used the term "jury". I don't care enough to look. Has it been your assumption that Snowden could/would have an opportunity to plead not guilty/innocent/anything other than guilty? If so, and you were to learn that there is no mechanism for such a plea, how would you define a "fair trial"?
JPB

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

The idea that Snowden will get a fair trial can't be based on how our government operates. That would be very naive.

Obama has the authority to put any citizen into prison without charge and legal representation.

I wonder how Frank thinks Snowden will get a fair trial?

When he stands trial...he will have very adequate representation...and he will have a jury of his peers.

The trial should be fair.

Ok, that wasn't so hard after all.
cicerone imposter

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:57 pm
@JPB,
An answer from Frank will humour all of us! LOL
cicerone imposter

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:58 pm
@JPB,
Except that the government has already established the base rule; he must first plead guilty.

When does anyone charged with a crime has that choice?
Frank Apisa

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:01 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Humor me.

No problem. I hope you do the same in return by answering the question about your legal training.

Quote:
You've been saying since last summer that Snowden needs to return to the US and stand trial. You may or may not have used the term "jury". I don't care enough to look. Has it been your assumption that Snowden could/would have an opportunity to plead not guilty/innocent/anything other than guilty? If so, and you were to learn that there is no mechanism for such a plea, how would you define a "fair trial"?

First show me that he cannot plead "not guilty."

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

An answer from Frank will humour all of us! LOL

Hey ci. Still checking me out. I know. You are going to pretend it has something to do with quotes...but we both know you are interested in what I say.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Except that the government has already established the base rule; he must first plead guilty.

When does anyone charged with a crime has that choice?

Had any English lessons lately?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:04 pm
C'mon, JPB...you are alleging that Snowden CANNOT plead "not guilty."

You have to come up with something that show that to be the case.

ANY LAWYERS HERE?

Surely there are lawyers that can comment on that.
JPB

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm asserting that he would not be allowed to mount a legal defense of that plea.
JPB

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:12 pm
@JPB,
And, the only discussion the DOJ will undertake in discussing his return is in exchange for a guilty plea.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:19 pm
@JPB,
This Guardian opinion is by a former assistant US attorney, a criminal defense attorney in Nashville and adjunct faculty member at Vanderbilt Law School.

Quote:
Edward Snowden can get a fair trial in the US. Here's how
Though the court would have to follow unorthodox procedures, the American public – through a jury trial – could decide if Snowden's revelations outweigh his crimes

Depending on your view, former NSA contractor Edward Snowden is either a patriotic whistleblower or a misguided traitor. He either revealed extensive violations of Americans’ constitutional rights or aided our enemies’ efforts to do us harm. He either deserves clemency for his disclosures or life in prison for his crimes.

How do we resolve this debate? The same way we resolve similar disputes in courts throughout the United States – with a public trial by an impartial jury. Unfortunately, criminal trials are not well suited to decide when the government has overstepped its bounds.

If Snowden were arrested today, extradited to the United States, and brought to trial, the rules of evidence would prevent him from arguing that his actions were necessary to reveal governmental wrongdoing. Nor would the jury hear about the legal challenges to the programs he has disclosed.

More importantly, the judge would instruct the jury that neither Snowden’s good intentions nor the fact that he may have revealed illegal activities are a defense to the charges against him. If this were a normal case, the jury would be asked to answer one question, and only one question: based on the evidence, did Snowden steal government secrets and intentionally disclose them? According to Snowden’s own statements, that answer is clear. But this is not a normal case.

Recently, a federal judge ruled that a program Snowden disclosed violates the constitution and must end. An internal document Snowden leaked from the NSA’s oversight division acknowledged that the agency flouted court rules and legal authorities on thousands of occasions.

And Snowden’s disclosures have forced James Clapper, the director of national intelligence, to admit that he previously provided “clearly erroneous” testimony to Congress about the NSA’s activities. As a result, Snowden’s defenders argue that putting him on trial for revealing classified information ignores the bigger picture – that his actions were necessary to expose egregious government misconduct.

... ... ... ... ... ...
JPB

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The next paragraph is the important one:
Quote:
But Snowden’s trial need not be typical. The Department of Justice and Snowden’s attorneys could agree to conduct it by a slightly different set of rules, rules that would permit the jury to consider the full extent of the alleged governmental wrongdoing he uncovered along with the full scope of his alleged crimes. For example, perhaps as part of an agreement for Snowden to return to stand trial, federal prosecutors could allow him to present evidence about the legality of the programs he disclosed and, ultimately, argue that his actions were justified by the alleged wrongdoing he revealed.

The government 'could' agree to change the rules to allow a trial. They won't. Not only won't they, they won't agree to discuss anything other than a guilty plea, so the Vanderbilt faculty member is dealing in a hypothetical that doesn't exist.
Frank Apisa

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:26 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I'm asserting that he would not be allowed to mount a legal defense of that plea.

You wrote that he could not plead "innocent" or "not guilty."

Are you withdrawing that now. And if you are...why not simply acknowledge that you are withdrawing it.

And in order to assess whether I should accept the withdrawal as being more informed than the original assertion...if that is what you are doing...I really should know the extent of your legal training.

Why not tell us...rather than ducking the question.

I have absolutely no legal training whatsoever.
JPB

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:28 pm
@JPB,
Mr Little also suggests that Snowden be allowed to present evidence of the legality of the programs he disclosed when the legality of those programs is yet to be determined by the courts. Does he expect those 12 jurors to have the authority to determine their legality too?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:28 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

And, the only discussion the DOJ will undertake in discussing his return is in exchange for a guilty plea.

Are you sure that the demand for a guilty plea is about his "return"...or is it actually about whether or not clemency will be considered.

Just want to be sure.
JPB

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Me neither, Frank. That's why I rely on the opinion of his legal team and the statements of the DOJ. He wouldn't be allowed to mount a public interest defense, which is his only defense, and the DOJ won't discuss any alternative other than a guilty plea. So, no, I don't withdraw the statement. He is not allowed to return to this country other than to plead guilty.
JPB

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Eric Holder wrote:
“If Mr. Snowden wanted to come back to the United States and enter a plea, we would engage with his lawyers. We would do the same with any defendant who wanted to enter a plea of guilty,”
JPB

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Don't forget, his passport has been revoked. He can only return to the US with the permission of the gov't, who have already stated that that could only be in return for a guilty plea.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 02:03 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Me neither, Frank.

You "neither" what, JPB?

Are you saying that you are not a lawyer...and you have no legal training at all?

Quote:

That's why I rely on the opinion of his legal team and the statements of the DOJ. He wouldn't be allowed to mount a public interest defense, which is his only defense, and the DOJ won't discuss any alternative other than a guilty plea. So, no, I don't withdraw the statement. He is not allowed to return to this country other than to plead guilty.

So...you are going to continue to insist that Snowden would not be able to plead "not guilty" at a trial should one be held.

Jesus, JPB...you really are a case.
Frank Apisa

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 02:06 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Eric Holder wrote:
“If Mr. Snowden wanted to come back to the United States and enter a plea, we would engage with his lawyers. We would do the same with any defendant who wanted to enter a plea of guilty,”

Yeah...when discussing amnesty or working out a deal of some sort.

But you are insisting that Snowden would not be allowed to plead "not guilty."

I don't know...I am not a lawyer and I do not have any law training.

You apparently hare not a lawyer and have no law training....but you are insisting that Snowden cannot come back to the US and plead "not guilty."

I am wondering if you are correct or not.