Snowdon is a dummy

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 11:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
I totally understand that someone wants someone else to thrown before a jury/judge(s), if the latter had broken (local) law(s).

And I totally agree that giving secrets away is always considered by those, who "own" these secrets, to be a very sincere crime - that had been so in Nazi-Germany, in the GDR and is the same today in Russia, Germany, the UK, the USA ...

But then, there are the others. Those countries, which give asylum. Those people, for whom these secrets are an advantage.

And those, whom these secrets opened the eyes ... that they have to protest, to demonstrate.

I've done the latter during most of my lifetime, nearly was thrown out of school, because I demonstrated against the German Emergency Acts in 1967/8.
That is quite interesting, even in this context and on this thread: I was well informed about those laws, better than journalists - and that made me suspicious, even dangerous in the eyes of most teachers.
But I'd only managed to get a copy of the bill, as it was formulated by some senior civil servants ...

I don't know about my reactions if I was a law-obeying US-citizen like Frank.
I am quite happy that I (we) got and get to know about NSA's work via Snowden.
I don't think that a lot will change. But I don't want to stay silent as the generation of my parents did.

Sorry for the rant. (And I don't feel disrespected by your responses, Frank. And over the months, I'm not shocked by them anymore, too Wink )
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 11:11 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
And my criticism of the treatment of Snowden is not confined to America. Britain is as guilty as America, and if it were an MI5 agent who had leaked the documents and was avoiding trial in the UK my comments would not be any different.
Germany is no choir boy either (and I really do know a bit about that "dirty business").
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
When was the last time you saw something that was British, and up to date? Monty Python, Benny Hill and Keeping Up Appearances don't count.

About a week ago for myself but in order to do that I needed to use tor and other means to get around the blocks your networks have placed around your programming to prevent foreign access.

Can not blame people outside the UK for not viewing your programs and some of them are indeed outstanding if they are for the most part not offer to us.
spendius

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:05 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
. . . to get around the blocks your networks have placed around your programming to prevent foreign access.

They contain secrets Bill.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:31 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Good luck with that!

Thanks! And good luck with your Snowden trial... :-)

Thank you. I suspect the Snowden trial has a much better chance of happening.

Quote:
Quote:
I hope you stop by to read a new thread I started which covers some of this "stench of tyranny" nonsense.

And I hope you stop writing nonsense...

Almost nothing I write is nonsense...so essentially, your hope has already been realized.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:33 pm
@BillRM,
If there are British programmes that you want to see but can't access, and you're looking for someone to blame, try your own TV stations. This stuff is available on the open market. You should pay instead of stealing content.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:33 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The thing is Frank, the phrase 'Over here in America,' is incredibly condescending. There are some posters on A2K who seek to wrap themselves in the American flag at every opportunity, to cast those of us who do not have American citizenship as being opposed to American values. Those who support gun ownership call us serfs, and try to point out our lack of 'freedom' all the time. As if we'd all want to own AK47s once we really understood what freedom really was.

There are those who seem to think that your constitution, bill of rights, various amendments, separation of church and state, et al give you a right to wag your finger and lecture us as if we're a bunch of savages living in some sort of feudal autocracy.

What you don't realise is that most of us are very much aware of how you go about things. Your global dominance of television means that around 50% of what's shown on our channels is American. Hardly a day goes by when we don't see something American. Last night I watched two episodes of South Park, one of which was all about Snowden, with Butters taking people to the DMV to confess their sins. When was the last time you saw something that was British, and up to date? Monty Python, Benny Hill and Keeping Up Appearances don't count.

There are considerably more Americans ignorant of how we go about things in Europe than the other way round. I'm spoken to many posters, quite aware and informed in other matters, who don't know the difference between Britain, England and the UK.

And my criticism of the treatment of Snowden is not confined to America. Britain is as guilty as America, and if it were an MI5 agent who had leaked the documents and was avoiding trial in the UK my comments would not be any different.

If you are saying that I have been condescending or disrespectful toward you, Izzy...I apologize sincerely and without reservation.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I totally understand that someone wants someone else to thrown before a jury/judge(s), if the latter had broken (local) law(s).

And I totally agree that giving secrets away is always considered by those, who "own" these secrets, to be a very sincere crime - that had been so in Nazi-Germany, in the GDR and is the same today in Russia, Germany, the UK, the USA ...

But then, there are the others. Those countries, which give asylum. Those people, for whom these secrets are an advantage.

And those, whom these secrets opened the eyes ... that they have to protest, to demonstrate.

I've done the latter during most of my lifetime, nearly was thrown out of school, because I demonstrated against the German Emergency Acts in 1967/8.
That is quite interesting, even in this context and on this thread: I was well informed about those laws, better than journalists - and that made me suspicious, even dangerous in the eyes of most teachers.
But I'd only managed to get a copy of the bill, as it was formulated by some senior civil servants ...

I don't know about my reactions if I was a law-obeying US-citizen like Frank.
I am quite happy that I (we) got and get to know about NSA's work via Snowden.
I don't think that a lot will change. But I don't want to stay silent as the generation of my parents did.

Sorry for the rant. (And I don't feel disrespected by your responses, Frank. And over the months, I'm not shocked by them anymore, too Wink )

I'm glad of that...because nothing I have written to you was meant to be condescending or disrespectful, Walter.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I never thought you were being intentionally condescending, but there are plenty that are. Usually none too bright individuals like Foofie and Oralboy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:50 pm
@BillRM,
Btw BillRM, you're the one trying to apportion blame, not me. I just compared the TV scheduling of our two countries to explain a difference in awareness. I didn't say it was necessarily a bad thing. You're the one who can't read a factual statement without seeing it as a challenge. And you're one of those sad individuals who tries to wrap himself in the American flag at every opportunity, because your argument rarely has the merit to stand on its own.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:50 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
This stuff is available on the open market. You should pay instead of stealing content.

Sorry the content is not available and your networks have loss nothing by my "stealing" them.

What get me is instead of just licensing your shows we sometimes get a US version of the same shows that is in many times inferior to the UK original shows they are base on.

Is your networks so fat and happy they do not even try to sell their programming outside the UK?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:59 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
What get me is instead of just licensing your shows we sometimes get a US version of the same shows that is in many times inferior to the UK original shows they are base on.

That gets you does it. How do you think we feel? Sometimes they try to sell that crap right back to us. The Inbetweeners is a case in point. We are trying to sell our shows outside the UK. Australia doesn't have any problems getting hold of our stuff.

If you want to blame someone blame those TV executives who think the American people are too dumb to understand a British TV programme unless it is recast with American actors. We'd much rather you saw the original.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I suspect the Snowden trial has a much better chance of happening.

I suspect otherwise.

Quote:
Almost nothing I write is nonsense.

Actually, most of what you write is boring, petty nonsense which you repeat ad nauseam.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:25 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
I suspect the Snowden trial has a much better chance of happening.

I suspect otherwise.

We'll see! Wink

Quote:

Quote:
Almost nothing I write is nonsense.

Actually, most of what you write is boring, petty nonsense which you repeat ad nauseam.

Not really...but if it makes you happy to think so...by all means, do it.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
We'll see!

I'm taking bets.

Quote:
if it makes you happy to think so...by all means, do it.

Likewise, if it makes you happy to call other posters' ideas nonsense, by all means call them so. Maybe if you call them nonsense often enough, it will become true...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:35 pm
@BillRM,
Well, actually I'm watching BBC and ITV on my computer - like this education documentary momentarily ...

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps774c1858.jpg

(Okay, I've only switched it on because I don't want to miss the football match Wink )
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
We'll see!

I'm taking bets.

You are taking bets that the chances of Obama standing trial are greater than the chances of Snowden standing trial???

Wow...where are you getting these bets from...an insane asylum?

Quote:

Quote:
if it makes you happy to think so...by all means, do it.

Likewise, if it makes you happy to call other posters' ideas nonsense, by all means call them so. Maybe if you call them nonsense often enough, it will become true...

Once again you get your wish.

Lucky you.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I am taking bets about Snowden never ever facing trial.

All we need for Obama to stand trial is for him to do something REALLY objectionable, like putting his willy in an intern's mouth...
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Obviously I meant that if the bets being taken are that the chances are greater that Obama will stand trial than that Snowden will...

...the person MAKING that bet must be from an insane asylum.

Wording here is difficult...because the entire notion is ludicrous.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I am taking bets about Snowden never ever facing trial.

Somehow I suspect you are just blowing hot air here. My guess is you have not taking any bets of that sort...and frankly unless you are getting huge odds...it would be an almost insane bet.

But...you may be right. Snowden might die...and then, of course, he would not stand trial.

Quote:
All we need for Obama to stand trial is for him to do something REALLY objectionable, like putting his willy in an intern's mouth...

I see!

Jeez!