izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:58 pm
@BillRM,
There you go, BBC America.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/
Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Snowden will almost certainly die at some point. I think he is still human. Could be wrong about that though...

You would know what blowing hot air means, now wouldn't you? That's what you do here 24/7.

And yes, US presidents are impeachable for lewd behavior, and what else?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:06 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Snowden will almost certainly die at some point. I think he is still human. Could be wrong about that though...

Major accomplishment for you...figuring that out!

Quote:
You would know what blowing hot air means, now wouldn't you? That's what you do here 24/7.

Not really. I make some decent, reasonable posts...and almost no blowing of hot air. And I am not here 24/7. But I am here enough to get way under your skin...and I am happy you are decent enough to show that I do. Wink

Quote:
And yes, US presidents are impeachable for lewd behavior, and what else?

All sorts of things. We'll see if it happens.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Oh...be sure to keep accurate record of all those bets you are making!!!!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
We'll see if it happens.

Like for the Snowden trial, don't hold your breath...

Quote:
I make some decent, reasonable posts.

Maybe once in a long while you do. Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:23 pm
@Olivier5,
Except Frank being right more than a clock is highly questionable. Mr. Green
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Except Frank being right more than a clock is highly questionable. Mr. Green

That made about as much sense as ci's posts normally do.

I guess he meant a "stopped clock."

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 03:18 pm
@izzythepush,
izzy--when you said that Apisa wasn't being "intentionally condescending" did you mean that he couldn't help being condescending or that he wasn't being condescending at all?

I hope it wasn't the latter. He is so condescending that I wouldn't be surprised if someone had bought him a lorgnette for one of his birfdays.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 03:22 pm
@spendius,
I think you know what I meant, I meant exactly what I said.
spendius

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 03:25 pm
@izzythepush,
I know izzy--I fancied giving it a re-run.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 04:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
There you go, BBC America.
http://www.bbcamerica.com
/

It is a good beginning on opening up a vast library of fine English programming to Americans.

Footnote someone should clean up the international copyright situation as it can end up giving silly results.

For example I can not even get a CBS streaming news radio station without lying to CBS as to where I am located when outside of the US.

Have to do with music copyrights and CBS just blocked all of it radio streams even when it come to a news radio station that does not broadcast music only news.

Also if I wish to purchase an Ebook for my nook when outside of the US once more due to copyright silliness I need to lie to the B&N servers as to where I happen to be.

The whole copyright legal system came to be a few generations before the internet came along.
spendius

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 06:14 pm
@BillRM,
I'm opposed to all copyright laws. People with something to say don't want paying. People who want paying are ten-a-penny.
BillRM

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 06:23 pm
@spendius,
I do not mind reasonable copyrights that reward the authors of works but having prolong length of copyrights that last longer then the likely lifespans of the authors great grandchildren is crazy.

Second the copyrights laws need to be rewritten to work better with the internet and craziness of hundreds of thousands of dollars copyright fines for some poor woman that downloaded a few music track or whatever is also crazy.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 11:43 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Olivier5 wrote:
And I champion the right of Obama, Biden and co to be charged, and to defend themselves in a fair trial where they could try and clear their names from the stench of tyranny that is now engulfing them.

I would love to see them appear before the World Court on this matter.

The World Court will be allowed jurisdiction over US spying on the day that they crack down equally hard on all the other nations of the world for the fact that they also engage in spying.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 11:44 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I give Walter in particular great credit for his ability to respond to people as civilly as he does in spite of efforts to provoke him. I don't have Walter's strength in this area.

Odd. I find you much more civil than I do Walter.

I recall a time when Walter rather rudely accused me of being repeatedly wrong, and then refused to justify his accusation when I invited him to point out anything that I was supposedly wrong about.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 07:33 am
From an interview @ dw
Quote:
'NSA report calls for outrageous proposals'

Security experts are warning that Obama's NSA proposals could turn the intelligence services into lame ducks. DW talked to former CIA agent Fred Fleitz who cautions against making fatal mistakes.
[...]
Fred Fleitz: Our view is that steps need to be taken to reassure the American people about the NSA's programs compromised by Edward Snowden. That's just what had happened to the democracy that people have concerns. I believe these programs have been well monitored and well overseen. The American people have to be reassured of that. So, I'm not saying nothing should be done. However on the other hand we've looked at this report very closely and it calls for some outrageous proposals. Such as providing US privacy rights to non-US-citizens outside the United States, barring the NSA from breaking internet inscription and the security of foreign software.
Now, I assume that as a German citizen you think those are good ideas and you don't want the NSA listening in and breaking into your software. And I understand that. But in the world we live today with terrorist groups that are increasingly tech savy we can't tie the hands of our American or German intelligence from doing what they have to do to find terrorist suspects and to monitor their communications. If we lived in a perfectly democratic world where everyone honored codes of human rights and human decency that would be different. But we don't live in that world. And it's necessary to have aggressive intelligence efforts to defend Western democracy and liberty. It's an unfortunate fact but that's why I support NSA breaking into that inscription. I support NSA breaking into the software of foreigners. Not to listen in to the German people or the people of any European country but because we know al Qaeda has become so sophisticated - we can't close off important weapons from the NSA for monitoring what they are up to.
[... ... ...]
I think the key to defending American freedom and liberties is making sure there is aggressive oversight. I think there is good oversight right now. I think there are ways it could be improved. For example we believe we should create better avenues for intelligence whistleblowers zu raise their concerns when they have them. This is not an excuse for Edward Snowden. There are avenues right now. But those avenues have to be improved. They have to be publicized and I think more legal protections have to be offered to people who have these concerns. I think that there could be additional reports sent to the intelligence committees explaining when some of these sensitive intelligence collection programs against electronic communications are used.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 07:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

From an interview @ dw
Quote:
'NSA report calls for outrageous proposals'

Security experts are warning that Obama's NSA proposals could turn the intelligence services into lame ducks. DW talked to former CIA agent Fred Fleitz who cautions against making fatal mistakes.
[...]
Fred Fleitz: Our view is that steps need to be taken to reassure the American people about the NSA's programs compromised by Edward Snowden. That's just what had happened to the democracy that people have concerns. I believe these programs have been well monitored and well overseen. The American people have to be reassured of that. So, I'm not saying nothing should be done. However on the other hand we've looked at this report very closely and it calls for some outrageous proposals. Such as providing US privacy rights to non-US-citizens outside the United States, barring the NSA from breaking internet inscription and the security of foreign software.
Now, I assume that as a German citizen you think those are good ideas and you don't want the NSA listening in and breaking into your software. And I understand that. But in the world we live today with terrorist groups that are increasingly tech savy we can't tie the hands of our American or German intelligence from doing what they have to do to find terrorist suspects and to monitor their communications. If we lived in a perfectly democratic world where everyone honored codes of human rights and human decency that would be different. But we don't live in that world. And it's necessary to have aggressive intelligence efforts to defend Western democracy and liberty. It's an unfortunate fact but that's why I support NSA breaking into that inscription. I support NSA breaking into the software of foreigners. Not to listen in to the German people or the people of any European country but because we know al Qaeda has become so sophisticated - we can't close off important weapons from the NSA for monitoring what they are up to.
[... ... ...]
I think the key to defending American freedom and liberties is making sure there is aggressive oversight. I think there is good oversight right now. I think there are ways it could be improved. For example we believe we should create better avenues for intelligence whistleblowers zu raise their concerns when they have them. This is not an excuse for Edward Snowden. There are avenues right now. But those avenues have to be improved. They have to be publicized and I think more legal protections have to be offered to people who have these concerns. I think that there could be additional reports sent to the intelligence committees explaining when some of these sensitive intelligence collection programs against electronic communications are used.

I certainly agree with Fred Fleitz's comments here. I question whether these are, as characterized, President Obama's proposals...or the proposals of a panel as presented to him.

If they actually are the president's proposals...I hope he has a change of heart before implementing them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 12:52 pm

Having the US military kill this Snowden freak would make a good start, but I also think that maybe we should have them start killing reporters and journalists too, particularly if those reporters and journalists are based in an unfriendly country like Brazil or Germany.

Enough is enough. Tell the Pentagon to start piling up bodies.

Mad

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The National Security Agency has implanted software in nearly 100,000 computers around the world that allows the United States to conduct surveillance on those machines and can also create a digital highway for launching cyberattacks.

While most of the software is inserted by gaining access to computer networks, the N.S.A. has increasingly made use of a secret technology that enables it to enter and alter data in computers even if they are not connected to the Internet, according to N.S.A. documents, computer experts and American officials.

The technology, which the agency has used since at least 2008, relies on a covert channel of radio waves that can be transmitted from tiny circuit boards and USB cards inserted surreptitiously into the computers. In some cases, they are sent to a briefcase-size relay station that intelligence agencies can set up miles away from the target.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/us/nsa-effort-pries-open-computers-not-connected-to-internet.html
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 01:24 pm
Speaking about killing journalist in Germany and Brazil:
Quote:
NSA collects millions of text messages daily in 'untargeted' global sweep
• NSA extracts location, contacts and financial transactions
• 'Dishfire' program sweeps up 'pretty much everything it can'
• GCHQ using database to search metadata from UK numbers

The National Security Agency has collected almost 200 million text messages a day from across the globe, using them to extract data including location, contact networks and credit card details, according to top-secret documents.

The untargeted collection and storage of SMS messages – including their contacts – is revealed in a joint investigation between the Guardian and the UK’s Channel 4 News based on material provided by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. ... ... ...
Source

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps80a77024.jpg
More >here<