Snowdon is a dummy

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
(I do not believe the German government participated in bugging the phones of German government officials, but I also do not believe that this bugging involved any action on German soil.)

Clayallee 170, D- 14191 Berlin, Federal Republic of Germany is not sovereign territory of the USA, but under the jurisdiction of Germany - "extraterritoriality" is only applies in a broader sense for diplomatic missions.

I do not believe that the bugging of the phones of German government officials involved any act carried out within the borders of Europe.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 06:34 am
@oralloy,
A unit of the "Special Collection Service" (SCS) is operational in Berlin's US-embassy. Wiretapping from an embassy is illegal in every country.

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps84bcfd0f.jpg
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpsb5570fbe.jpg
Antennas and covered windows (centre) on the roof of the US embassy in Berlin
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 07:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A unit of the "Special Collection Service" (SCS) is operational in Berlin's US-embassy.

I imagine that is the case with most US embassies.

So?

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Wiretapping from an embassy is illegal in every country.

It is unlikely that the Special Collection Service was involved with such an easy job as listening to the cell phones of German government officials.

It is also unlikely that the Special Collection Service does any wiretapping "from the US embassy". Their job would be to break into Germany's most highly secured installations and compromise lines of communication that do not travel over airwaves.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps84bcfd0f.jpg
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpsb5570fbe.jpg
Antennas and covered windows (centre) on the roof of the US embassy in Berlin

I doubt it's related to spying activity.

I guess it's possible. But I rather doubt it.

The NSA is capable of listening to every cell phone in Germany without relying on any antennas in any embassy.

IF they are relying on antennas in the embassy, it was likely just a budget-saving measure due to it being cheaper that way.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 07:41 am
@oralloy,
The new self-dependence in Wiesbaden isn't completed yet

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps9f6ac095.jpg
JTT

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 01:56 pm
@oralloy,
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 02:29 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
a budget-saving measure

Is that irony oralloy?
JTT

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 02:46 pm
@oralloy,
Signature
The world became a more beautiful place on the day xxxxxxxxxxxx died.

You really are one sick sick ****, oralboy.
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 08:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The new self-dependence in Wiesbaden isn't completed yet

I'm not entirely sure what a self dependence is, or where Wiesbaden is.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 08:16 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:
a budget-saving measure

Is that irony oralloy?

No. I live up to the stereotype of the American who couldn't understand irony if his life depended on it.

I believe that the NSA has the global infrastructure in place to intercept any cell phone call on the planet.

If the NSA set up a special antenna on an embassy rooftop to do the same job that they could achieve with their existing global infrastructure, the only reason I could guess for doing such a thing would be because there is a certain cost to doing it the regular way, and the antennas on the embassy rooftop are cheaper.

I really doubt that the antennas have anything to do with spying at all. If I had to guess, I'd guess they are for encrypted communications between the embassy and their bosses back in the State Department.

I'd also bet that the German government violates our privacy and listens in on those communications.

I'm not upset about that. That's just the reality of international relations. But I wish they'd get a bit of perspective and stop acting like our own intercepts are some sort of atrocity.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 08:17 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Signature
The world became a more beautiful place on the day xxxxxxxxxxxx died.

You really are one sick sick ****, oralboy.

Why thank you. I really tried hard to come up with something that couldn't be maliciously misconstrued as a threat, but at the same time would immediately make a member of that horrible family start puking if they ever read it. I think I hit the mark.

The Kerchers are the most vile and despicable people on the entire planet. I hope one day they all read my sig, and it hurts them.
JTT

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 09:16 pm
@oralloy,
I'm satisfied that you and I are in complete agreement that you are one sick sick ****, Oralloy.
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 09:32 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
I'm satisfied that you and I are in complete agreement that you are one sick sick ****, Oralloy.

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

Sometimes good people have to be really mean to evil people. That's just the way of things.
JTT

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 01:47 pm
@oralloy,
Sick sick fucks aren't good people, Oralloy. Jeffrey Dahmer is an example of a sick sick ****, as is John Wayne Gacy and Henry Lee Lucas.

Your remarks and your frequent callous disregard for human life illustrate that this is the mould you've been cast in.
JPB

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 02:17 pm
Quote:
When someone reveals that government officials have routinely and deliberately broken the law, that person should not face life in prison at the hands of the same government. - NYT Editorial (behind paywall). Excerpts and discussion Here
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 02:21 pm
@JPB,
That's the reason why our democracy is broken; we have elected officials who swore to uphold the Constitution, and when revealed they have broken the laws, they want to charge the wrong people with the crime.
JTT

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 02:22 pm
@JPB,
Monterey Jack says I'm right about the USA, as does Advocate, CI, in his own funny way. Thomas too, though he can't state it directly, caught as he is between a rock and a citizenship hearing.

What's holding you back, JPB?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 02:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Earth to CI: this is not a new thing. Check the real history of the USA.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 02:38 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
When someone reveals that government officials have routinely and deliberately broken the law, that person should not face life in prison at the hands of the same government. - NYT Editorial (behind paywall). Excerpts and discussion Here

Snowden is accused of stealing government classified documents...and revealing them to unauthorized sources.

He deserves a fair trial...and I hope he gets it.
revelette

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 02:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I agree, either we have laws or we don't, which goes for everybody on all sides.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 02:50 pm
@revelette,
I'd like to see those who broke the laws first by ignoring our Constitution on the right to privacy, charged with a crime followed by a trial.

Then, we can have Snowden charged and taken to trial. This sequence is the only one that makes any sense.