Snowdon is a dummy

BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 09:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There is after all a real need to break into corporate networks to fight terrorists base in the middle east.....LOL

An my government had the nerve to complained about Chinese government hacking of US firms!!!!!!!!
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 06:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The German government has called for home-grown email and internet providers

I understand that certain treacherous nations may wish it to remain hidden that they are secretly on the side of the terrorists, but it still might be a good idea for the US to pursue punitive tariffs through the WTO.

If that fails, we should consider having Congress craft legislation directing the NSA to target anti-American corporations and plunder all their secrets. That is more the French and Chinese way of doing things than what the US prefers, but we do need to defend ourselves against German aggression.
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 06:20 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
An my government had the nerve to complained about Chinese government hacking of US firms!!!!!!!!

There is a substantial difference between "the NSA gaining knowledge of other governments' intentions and uncovering terrorist plots" and "China and France stealing the industrial secrets of private corporations".
BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 06:23 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
There is a substantial difference between "the NSA gaining knowledge of other governments' intentions and uncovering terrorist plots" and "China and France stealing the industrial secrets of private corporations".

Right as NSA is going to uncover terrorist plots by hacking into airbus computer networks for example.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 07:30 pm
@oralloy,
The UK and other countries have not hidden it at all, Oralboy. They are
definitely on the side of the terrorists. They have diligently supported the USA,
so much so that they are now also known as terrorist nations, which of course
they are.

Pikers compared to the USA which has been far and away the leading
terrorist group for at least the last century.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:22 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I understand that certain treacherous nations may wish it to remain hidden that they are secretly on the side of the terrorists, but it still might be a good idea for the US to pursue punitive tariffs through the WTO.
So you think that the privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications is a sign that someone - a country, gob´vernment, company or private, is supporting terrorism.

The WTO, by the way, is not owned by the USA.
oralloy

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

So you think that the privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications is a sign that someone - a country, gob´vernment, company or private, is supporting terrorism.

That depends on the details. When someone is specifically objecting to the fact that people are looking for terrorists, then it is something that should be considered.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
The WTO, by the way, is not owned by the USA.

As if we would have to own them before they would protect our rights under international law?

Anyway, if the WTO doesn't protect us, I also mentioned the US government's ability to take down anti-American companies through direct espionage. It's not really a tactic that fits the American worldview. But as a last resort it's a reasonable tactic for us to consider.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:53 am
@oralloy,
So everyone has a right to have human rights ... if she/he is an US-American and follows your ideas.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 04:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Now that Spiegek report is a topic in US-media as well ...

Leaked Documents Show NSA Could Tap iPhones, Apple Denies Involvement
Quote:
"Apple has never worked with the NSA to create a backdoor in any of our products, including the iPhone," said the company in a statement to ABC News. "We care deeply about our customers' privacy and security. Whenever we hear about attempts to undermine Apple's industry-leading security, we thoroughly investigate and take appropriate steps to protect our customers."

Many of these documents date back to 2008, when the iPhone 3G was the newest smartphone available, so it's not clear whether Dropout Jeep could affect modern phones.

Billy Lau, a security researcher at Georgia Tech, said that while Apple has beefed up its security since 2008, it's not invulnerable.

"The Evasion jailbreak of iOS 7 implies that part of the OS has been exploited and has some deep security implications," he told ABC News.

Bradley Shear, a lawyer who specializes in Internet privacy, said that the NSA spyware may be out of Apple's control, as well as out of other companies' control such as Google and Microsoft.

"I don't think any of the tech companies would knowingly allow [for NSA tapping]," he said. "But the NSA has a know-how to do things the tech community may not be aware of."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 01:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
So everyone has a right to have human rights ... if she/he is an US-American and follows your ideas.

The fact that the NSA is given the ability to hunt for terrorists does not violate anyone's human rights.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 01:41 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The fact that the NSA is given the ability to hunt for terrorists does not violate anyone's human rights.
That's what I wanted to say: YOU decide it.
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 01:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
That's what I wanted to say: YOU decide it.

I decide nothing. The truth is the truth of its own accord.

I merely point at the truth and say: "Look everyone! There's the truth."
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 02:10 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The truth is the truth of its own accord.
Indeed. The NSA breaks German law on German soil. And disregards - acting on and from German soil - our constitutional rights.
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 03:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The truth is the truth of its own accord.

Indeed. The NSA breaks German law on German soil. And disregards - acting on and from German soil - our constitutional rights.

I think it is very unlikely that any US action (including any action by the NSA) that happened on German soil was done without the full knowledge, cooperation, and participation of the German government.

(I do not believe the German government participated in bugging the phones of German government officials, but I also do not believe that this bugging involved any action on German soil.)

If a joint US/German operation violated German law, I suggest that complaints about it should really be directed at the German government instead of acting like the US has committed some sort of terrible misdeed.

But before anyone complains about the German government, since any joint NSA/German operation on German soil was likely dedicated to preventing terrorists from killing German citizens, I also suggest that perhaps a little bit of perspective might be appropriate. If this was really a violation of a statute in German law, maybe the problem here is that statute.

But all of this has little to do with German corporations avoiding American technology products. The fact that the US might be spying on other governments, or might be scanning for terrorist plots, is not a valid reason for any private industry to boycott our goods.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:07 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
(I do not believe the German government participated in bugging the phones of German government officials, but I also do not believe that this bugging involved any action on German soil.)
Clayallee 170, D- 14191 Berlin, Federal Republic of Germany is not sovereign territory of the USA, but under the jurisdiction of Germany - "extraterritoriality" is only applies in a broader sense for diplomatic missions.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:09 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
If a joint US/German operation violated German law, I suggest that complaints about it should really be addressed to the German government instead of acting like the US has committed some sort of terrible misdeed.
That would be the Federal Constitutional Court (since it's mainly a constitutional matter) - we have a separation of powers here.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:10 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
But all of this has little to do with German corporations avoiding American technology products. The fact that the US might be spying on other governments, or might be scanning for terrorist plots, is not a valid reason for any private industry to boycott our goods.
Private industries can do here what they want as long as it is covered by OUR laws.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:12 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
But before anyone complains about the German government, since any joint NSA/German operation on German soil was likely dedicated to preventing terrorists from killing German citizens, I also suggest that perhaps a little bit of perspective might be appropriate. If this was really a violation of a statute in German law, maybe the problem here is that statute.
Even that is regulated in our constitution (and by laws) ... and the procedure wasn't followed at all.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
If a joint US/German operation violated German law, I suggest that complaints about it should really be addressed to the German government instead of acting like the US has committed some sort of terrible misdeed.

That would be the Federal Constitutional Court (since it's mainly a constitutional matter) - we have a separation of powers here.

I just edited that part of my post for clarity. I did not mean "complain to" in the sense of someone you go to in order to have things set right. Rather I meant that the complaints should be more "against the German government" than "against us".
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Private industries can do here what they want as long as it is covered by OUR laws.

I recommend that we take action in the WTO.

If the WTO fails to redress this, I recommend that we begin directing the NSA to plunder the industrial secrets of anti-American corporations.
0 Replies