sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:25 pm
Perfect hearing is zero on the graphs. So you're at least 25 db off of perfectas of now.

I'm not sure about normal, it depends a bit on your definition. Lots of people have hearing losses that they do not address and just live with. So if we're talking normal in the sense of average, it is probably around 10 db loss. If we're talking normal in the medical sense, not needing any intervention, that'd be 0-5 db loss.

I can try to look that up for ya, that's just off the top of my head.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:39 pm
OK, definition of decibel is the faintest sound a young sensitive ear can hear. So that means zero across the board is perfect human hearing.

"Normal" hearing is generally the -10 to 15 db range. (There is no absolute standard.) "Slight hearing loss" is 15 to 25. "Mild hearing loss" is 26 to 40 db. "Moderate hearing loss" is 41 to 55 db.

When you first had your hearing tested, it would be called a 45 db loss in the right ear, 42 in your left ear. (Average of 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000 hz readings.) That's in the "moderate" hearing loss range. Now it is 35 in the right ear, 36 in the left ear, or the upper part of the "mild" range.

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/decibelsvspercent.htm

Various hearing aid sites will tell you which range they are most appropriate for. Many are marketed to just that range ("mild" or "moderate.")
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:16 pm
I received a copy of my audiogram yesterday; I asked for it to be sent to me so I can study up on these matters before I make choices.

I don't want to try to scan this so let's see if I can chart the graph in type

Right
Hertz 250 15
500 10
750 20
1000 25
1500 25
2000 40
3000 65
4000 55
5000 60
6000 60
8000 65

Right, similar
250 10
500 20
750 20
1000 30
1500 45
2000 50
3000 55
4000 55
6000 60
8000 60

This was done a while ago, and I haven't gone for the aids for financial reasons. Now I am getting serious and want to look up all I can before I return to the audiologist for another test and the md's office.

Surely there is a trend here with the loss highest in the upper hertz range, most of the numbers seem to mean severe loss as opposed to moderate. Ah well, I am older than Eva, and the loss has been more gradual, not such an immediate personal blow.

Anyway, I am going to review this thread for links and go to it, but maybe not tonight re the long reading.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:22 pm
Hi Osso, that's a lot like what my hearing looked like for a while. I had an adjustable aid, could be fine-tuned for just that kind of graph. (A nice little hill, starts high then dooooowwwwn we go...)

It's a range that's helped really beautifully by aids. About 60 db + and it starts to not be as useful anymore.

There are some tax credits out there for hearing aid purchases -- still a drop in the bucket relative to cost, but something. Lemme go find that...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:26 pm
Ooh, recent:

http://www.healthyhearing.com/healthyhearing/newroot/interview/displayarchives.asp?ID=187

Quote:
Beck: I guess it's been about three months since we last spoke. So for those just joining the discussion, let me start by reviewing the "Hearing Aid Assistance Tax Credit Act.," the goal of which is to make hearing aids a little more affordable for many people. In fact, the new legislation amends the IRS Code of 1986 to allow a tax credit of up to $500 per ear, for a hearing aid purchased by those aged 55 and older, and also for those purchasing hearing aids for their dependants. We know that some 90 to 95 percent of people with hearing loss can be successfully treated with hearing aids, yet only about 1/5th of them wear hearing aids. Of those people needing, but not owning, hearing aids, there are about one million kids in the USA, and then there are an additional 9.7 million adults over age 55 years. For around 30% of those not purchasing hearing aids, money is a key stumbling block! Therefore, I was hoping you'd give us an update on the US Senate and House bills. Where are we now and where are we going?

Outlaw: Well, since we last spoke, there has been some very nice excellent progress. We're continuing to increase the number of co-sponsors in the House for "H.R. 3103," and I'm happy to tell you, we've got 47 now have 49 co-sponsors as of today in the House, as well as demonstrated interest in the Senate companion bill.

Emphasis mine. My grandma really needed a hearing aid, but she refused because it made her "look old." 15-year-old me pointed to my own ear and said "AHEM... do I look old to you??" Finally convinced her, huge change and improvement for her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:52 pm
I have no pride, vanity wise, or not much in comparison to what I remember of all our grandmothers.... but I have recently gone through some hoops re paying for eye surgeries having to do with borrowing on house) and might as well go for it. In the meantime, I have new eye news today and will post on that thread either later tonight or in the morning. All of this sounds sort of horrible to someone not dealing with it, but I am actually newly energized.

Anyway, thanks, you are a true peach.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:12 pm
Yes, a peach!

That is the most useful information I've been given. Thank you SO MUCH!!!

{{{smooches}}}

I have no problem at all with the idea of hearing aids, btw. Vanity is fine, but NOT when it gets in the way of functioning.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:38 pm
Happy to help!

And that's a wonderful attitude. Rather uncommon, really, and kudos to you.

Hopefully things will keep going up and up to the point where this is moot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:25 pm
Eva - update?
How are you?
I'm still carrying the grumbles around on your behalf.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:46 pm
Me too...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:19 pm
Uh, hello. An update, of sorts.

I had another audiogram done today, and I was very disappointed that it showed no change from the one 3 months ago. Apparently, my hearing has stabilized at this level. The doctor said not to expect any further improvement. He set up an appointment for me (next week) to talk about hearing aids.

I am upset. And surprised to find myself very angry. I suppose I buried the anger six months ago, telling myself that as long as my hearing eventually returned to normal, it would be okay. I've been through medical crises before, and I can be very patient. But now it appears that it will never be normal again, and I feel like I'm about ready to bite somebody's head off.

I think I will go close myself in my closet and allow myself a primal scream. Or two. Then I will go read back through this thread for info on hearing aids that Soz posted a while back. 'Scuse me...

AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:21 pm
do it again, and know we are hollerin' along with you

d@mn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:56 pm
Real loud.

The good news is that while it unequivocally sucks to have any loss at all, your specific loss is really nicely helped by hearing aids. I think you'll find that after an intial adjustment period you're going to love the things.

I think I mentioned this already, but for a long time (like 5 years) I kissed my hearing aid every night before putting it in it's little case (oooh! Dri-Aid! Gotta get one... I wonder if they still make them), because I felt so indebted to how much it did for me that day.

It's not glasses (get the right perscription, see 20-20), but at your level, they really really can be enormously helpful.

As always, happy to provide any practical info as well as a shoulder to cry on or pound on as someone who's been there and done that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:59 pm
While hearing aids are a nuisance, thank whatever that they are around. I feel for you. Best wishes.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:15 pm
Thanks, guys.

(Sigh.)

I told my husband & son about it at dinner. They were pretty depressed. My husband really believed all along that I would completely recover. To my surprise, he agreed with me about calling his friend (who accidently shot the gun that caused this) and talking to him about having his homeowners' insurance cover the expenses that will be incurred from all this. I hope he agrees, because after all, that is what insurance is for. Right? If someone was injured on MY property, I would expect MY insurance to cover it. I hope this works out, because neither of us really wants to sue our friends over something that happened accidentally.

Anyway, I scheduled a consultation with my regular doctor for a week from Monday. I want to talk to him about second opinions, recommendations, etc. before I start looking into hearing aids.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:23 pm
I think we've all thought that stupid idiot who shot the gun has gotten off WAY too lightly in this whole thing. Insurance is the least he can do.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:32 pm
I was livid at your dumbass friend, eva. Sorry to hear the news about your hearing. One of these days I'll have to get me one of them there hearing aids too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:03 pm
Have your husband confirm with his friend that he has advised his insurance company that he may be put on notice in regard to this.

"Hey buddy, just wanted to be sure you'd let your insurer know about what happened, cuz this just isn't clearing up the way I know we'd all hoped. There are going to be some expenses that we need to have covered by your insurer." He doesn't need to mention their exposure to a fair-sized potential pain and suffering claim, and the effect it could have on his premium. An increased premium is the least of what he should be made to do.

Depending on the jurisdiction, you may have to put him on notice to get the insurer involved.

Nasty nasty guns. Stupid stupid friend.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:10 pm
They still make Dri-Aids!

http://www.marilynelectronics.net/products/hearing-aid-batteries/super-dri-aid.htm

Scene -- Florida condo. 15 year old girl, trendily dressed, chatting with an 80-year old fella in black socks, sandals, madras shorts, and large black hornrims.

Fella: So, how do you store your hearing aid?
Girl: Uh, in a box.
Fella: Ever heard of Dri-Aid?
Girl: Nope, what's that?
Fella: Go to the Congress Avenue HearWell store, tell 'em Harold sent you. They'll take care of ya.

Seriously, I found out about it when visiting my grandma in Florida -- lots of hearing aids, lots of humidity. Have found out that they are credited with drastically increasing the life and efficiency of hearing aids.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:13 pm
hmmmmm

just went back and re-read

so how many insurers could be involved? the insurer for the property (if it's jointly owned by a bunch of people), the insurer for the guy who popped the gun, the insurer for the guy who left the gun loaded. there will likely be more, but it's late and i'm tired
0 Replies