dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:15 pm
Damn Eva - that sooooooooo sucks!!!!

No WONDER you are angry!!!

Holler!

(Knowing it is really time for aids for me too - but I have only genetics to blame...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:39 pm
I have no savvy on this, except for my initial and continuing anger, which I try to push aside as we all foul up. Still, this was a big one, and most of us here have been nonplussed to see you just accept going deaf from such a debacle and to pay for it besides.

I'll just bow to say, listen to ehbeth.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:59 pm
Eva
Eva, I'm so deeply saddened at your news and primally angry at your stupid friend who did this to you.

I fervently hope your doctor turns out to be wrong and that you will yet achieve improvement in your hearing.

BBB Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:47 am
Well said, BBB.

I am truly sorry to hear your news, Eva. You'll continue to be in my thoughts.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:32 am
Hey guys, I'm not the placid doormat you think I am. The truth is, it was a stupid accident, and a combination of things went wrong to make it happen. A large part of the fault goes to the guy who left the gun loaded and cocked and didn't tell anyone about it. Part of the fault lies with the guy who innocently picked it up to show it to someone and it accidentally went off. The thing is, there were five of us there when it happened, and nobody else was affected. (Just me, the only anti-gun person...wouldn't you know.)

I am angry...very angry...but I also can't help but feel grateful to God that nothing worse happened. Someone could very well have been killed. It still scares me, just thinking about it.

Look, I hate guns. I try to stay as far away from them as possible. Which is difficult sometimes, living in the South. My husband and his friend are experienced hunters who always practice gun safety. Obviously, that's not enough to prevent all accidents, which is one of the reasons I hate guns. But this was clearly an accident. Nobody was more shocked than our friend.

I have to ask...How many of you would actually sue a long-time friend under such circumstances?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:35 am
Oh, we don't think you're a doormat. It was way flukey, and it's mature of you to see the subtleties rather than finding an easy scapegoat.

I seem to remember that his actions AFTER the whole thing happened were quite objectionable, too, though -- not just that he did it (picked up a gun he didn't know was loaded) but how he reacted.

I think we all hope you WON'T have to sue, but wish he would just step up and do the right thing, himself.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:36 am
Shall I give a list of files I have where parents are suing their children, wives are suing husbands ...

It is often the only way to get an insurer involved, and people buy insurance for a reason.

We often ask "do we insure stupidity?". The answer is "yes".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:49 am
OK, this was one... has he apologized yet?

Quote:
Mostly, I'm angry because nobody has even apologized to me for this! My hubby says his friend owes me one, but just can't bring himself to say it. Some people are like that, I know, but it still makes me very angry. Grrrrrr....

Quote:
Burns my hide, though. They haven't even called or e-mailed to check on me. My husband says they probably figure my hearing came back soon after we left and don't think it's a big deal. Hmph. That's no excuse. I think I'll send them an e-mail myself and fill them in.

Quote:
Nope, no word from the guy himself. Hubby says he's always been the kind who couldn't say "I'm sorry." I hate that...my father was that way, too.

Quote:
I have never liked this guy, but his wife is a saint. A Truly Good Person. (She'd have to be, to put up with him for 25+ years.) Anyway, they're really hubby's friends, not mine. So feel free to insult them.

Quote:
As for friend...a forced apology is no apology at all. It would mean less than nothing to me. If he's not a big enough man to apologize on his own, then he's not worth worrying about. F*ck him.

Well, I'll stop, but that's why we don't like the guy and want to see him comeupped!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:03 pm
Yup, re-reading this thread just infuriated me last night. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:55 pm
No, I still haven't actually talked to him...just his wife. But that's typical for us...he's my husband's friend, not mine. Hubby is going to call him. Thanks for the tips, ehBeth. "Do you insure stupidity?"..."Yes"...that's priceless! And true, of course.

Last time I talked with the wife via e-mail, she wrote the following:

"It's good to hear from you, I've been thinking about you and kept meaning to email but just haven't done it yet and I apologize. I understand your anger and frustration and I feel terrible and am so sorry for what happened, I get sick when I think about it - there was no excuse for it-guns are dangerous toys. I wish there was something I could do to help. I have been praying for you and will continue to do so. I would like to reimburse you for any medical expenses you may have because of your hearing loss - I know it won't bring back your hearing, but it's the least we can do.

We also enjoyed spending time with you guys and it was good to get to know ____- he's a great kid. I'm glad the guys had a good time, but I'm with you about staying at the Hyatt! The camp is not for me and the incident with the gun didn't help. Keep us informed about your ears."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:06 pm
Re: Eva
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I fervently hope your doctor turns out to be wrong and that you will yet achieve improvement in your hearing.

Yes, well, that's why I want to talk to my regular physician first. I trust him. More than once I had the feeling that the ENT was making it up as he went along.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:58 pm
Eva, my sporadical posting on a2k means that I don't keep up with all the threads I've posted on in the past months.

After rereading some of your posts and others, I'm stunned at all you've been through and infuriated at the appalling lack of decency of the man who was responsible.

After reading ehBeth's post, I realize that stupidity is one of the most important reasons for having insurance!!

You are, indeed, a brave woman. All the best to you--healing thoughts are coming your way.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 02:42 pm
Eva: I'm so sorry to read this news. I thought everything was going well for you. I wish you the very best.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 04:45 am
Sad Sad Sad
Mad Sad Mad
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Sad Sad

Rolling Eyes

Sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
How's it going, Eva?

Went to ENT yesterday (sozlet has [almost definitely temporary] 40 db loss due to fluid in middle ear lingering after ear infections), thought of you.

I had to do a lot of advocacy, definitely a making it up as he went along element (something you said here.) He kept saying things and I'd say um not so much and back it up and he'd be like, oh, OK. He was nice, I don't want to put him down too much but they were insanely busy and there was definitely a conveyor-belt "NEXT!" element to the whole thing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:38 pm
It's been more than a year now.

Is your hearing stabilized now, Eva?

What's the hearing aid status? Comfortable - useful ?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:17 pm
How nice of you to remember, Beth! Thank you for asking!

The hearing has stabilized at a 40-45db loss, and I've been trying out different hearing aids for the past few months. First I tried the ultra-expensive CIC ones, two different brands, in fact. (My insurance paid for all but $30, so why not go for the best, I thought?) But they were just awful! It was like having hard earplugs stuck as far down into your ear as they would go. Horribly uncomfortable, and impossible to wear when eating. We never could get the audio adjusted so they would work properly. I was having one major problem after another. I could definitely understand why so many people get theirs, stick them in a drawer, and never wear them.

Then a friend showed me some she had just gotten and recommended them very highly. We go to the same ENT group, so I had them look up her chart and find out if the same kind would fit me. They would! They're a small, ultra-lightweight BTE model with just a small clear tube that goes into the ear. Not stuffy at all, very comfortable. I've been through two different models of them, too, and I think I've found the one that will work. No problem with phones or anything, and not noticeable at all. I've had them for about two weeks, and I'm still getting used to them, but overall I am pleased.

With the aids, I'm hearing at the equivalent of a 25db loss right now (which is a great improvement), and they will increase the power (volume) a little at a time so it won't give me headaches. I should be able to get them up to about 20. Anything between 0 and 15 is considered normal, so although it will never be perfect, it will be pretty good.

Still adjusting, but these aren't difficult at all.

(The make/model is ReSound AIR Plus, if you're interested.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:23 pm
This has been on my mind, but I didn't wanna be a total nudgnik.

I'm glad that you've found a hearing aid that seems like it will work well for you. You deserve to find the best solution.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:30 pm
Me too, re: on my mind and not wanting to pry.

Sounds really great, Eva! BTE's are where it's at. So glad that you're finally reaching the promised land -- sorry it's been such a long time coming, but good for you for sticking with it and making sure you got what was best for you.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:45 pm
I would have never known when we talked - I think I said Huh? alot
0 Replies