The Canada Column

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:59 pm
The hamburgers live in a lovely subdivision called Calvin Park. As a result, I attended Calvin Park Public School. Followed by a stint at Loyalist Collegiate. No wonder I have a limestone chip in my shoulder.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:20 pm
LOL
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:47 pm
Re: CANADA COLUMN
hamburger wrote:
if i remember correctly, the sailors say : one hand for the ship, one hand for yourself

Sailors in the American navy are no longer allowed to say this as a consequence of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:57 pm
Boaters are a superstitious lot. many of us keep little rituals to " prevent" tragedy. We never kid about negative outcome or disasters.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:04 pm
Who put the bop in the bopshuwopshuwop
Who put the mast in masturbation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:08 pm
ehBeth wrote:
The hamburgers live in a lovely subdivision called Calvin Park. As a result, I attended Calvin Park Public School. Followed by a stint at Loyalist Collegiate. No wonder I have a limestone chip in my shoulder.

Onward Christian Soldiers ! ! !

Just lookit them little doggies . . . all fat an' happy from Oma's Easter treats . . .

FM, may you never find yourself with a lee shore looming on a fog bound coast, as it will simply embarrass the simple sailors among you, who will at first feel unsettled . . . don't be showin' nobody up . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:09 pm
Mr. Mountie, have you ever thought of applying for the Ulrich Zwingli Chair in Comparative Millinarian Obsession ?

I'm sure you would take it in a cake walk . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:13 pm
Quote:
Zwingli rose through the ranks of the Catholic church until he was appointed "People's Priest" in 1519,

I'd rather go for "People's Masturbator"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:17 am
That would have gotten you a death sentence in Geneva--where Zwingli and Calvin established their "godly republic" . . . i have read, with what accuracy i cannot say, that Zwingli condemned his own son to death for adultery . . . i think the boy ran off and joined the infantry . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:34 pm
farmerman : watched CBC-TV news last night. the canadian government sold the licensing rights to the navigation maps of canadian waters about a year ago to a private company. now there is a dispute between the canadian licensee and a american map-maker/distributor. the report stated that the maps are not necessarily up-to-date any more and warned of possible navigational problems; apparently there is a lot of finger-pointing going on now. perhaps you are aware of this already. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:48 pm
THE CANADA COLUMN
here is the history of mr. calvin after whom the sudivision "calvin park" was named (from the "northbay nugget") : Today I will look at the life and times of D.D. Calvin as an example of one of the men who had a township named after him (and also a sub-division and a school in kingston) :

Deleno D. Calvin was actively involved in the transportation of squared timber in New York State when he looked to expand his horizons in 1836. He found the perfect relocation where the Great Lakes entered the St. Lawrence three-km south of Kingston, Ontario, on the sixty-five acre Garden Island. There was an excellent harbour on its south-east side where Calvin could unload his loads of logs from the lower Great Lakes for trans-shipment on the St. Lawrence. These timbers were organized into rafts and were taken by his men, who lived on them for weeks to Quebec City, 350 miles away for shipment to England. " . he probably was no calvinist ; but you never know. hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
hamburger-I use what are called C maps, which are like little CDs . The charts of an entire area fit into a normal combo drive on the GPS /plotter. C maps are supposed to be updated but, for my purposes, I can live with small errors, like bouy relocations. The Marine Canada always gives radio updates on bouy locations . Usually these relocations occur in winter when pack ice cuts their chains for secure bouys or they just get taken out before major ice.

DeLorme has some good chips for areas of the Gulf of Maine up to Nova SCotia and into Northumberland. Beyond that I have to buy them through an electronic gizmo center like CApn Bobs
0 Replies