The Canada Column

cavfancier

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:33 am
farmerman, actually, we try to get the tomatoes grown before then, as August 14-16 tend to be snow days here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:36 am
I meant that Scotia place, Cav, as you well know . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:37 am
the four seasons, Canajun style: almost winter, winter, still winter, construction . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:45 am
Heh heh...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:26 am
Any small town Canadian fall fair, farmerperson you incredible ninny, will display plates of blue ribbon tomatoes as bursting and fullsome as Anita Ekberg's blue ribbon thingies.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:45 am
blatham wrote:
...and fullsome as Anita Ekberg's blue ribbon thingies.

Shocked Anita won blue ribbons for her thingies??? Oh my...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:07 am
blatham, Im not denying that some sort of tomato-like vegetable can be grown up there, hell , they even grow them in Siberia. The point is, your "blue ribbon" fruits are our garden missiles, whose sole purpose is tossing at moving cars.When all you have are blemished ugly fruits, the least ugly becomes the prize winner.

Ketchup (or as we say , ketchup), is only made from tomatoes that are unappealing to consume out of hand.
Our US tomatoes are so sweet that we can make a sauce of them , a sauce that is suitable for pouring over pancakes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:14 am
FM, if you pour tomatoe sauce over your pancakes, you are a sick dude indeed.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:15 am
Now I know for sure that you have not the slightest traffic with tomato knowledge. When I was a mere lad, I absolutely drenched the south side of Marilyn Remple, who was riding her bicycle past my home at the coincidental moment I was holding a tomato that might have been planted by Hank Tomatoseed himself (an early Canadian hero). Proper throwing tomatos are soft, like Anita's thingeys, and begin to come apart midway between hand and sauceable target.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:23 am
ps to farmerperson

http://www.secondchancecd.com/images/stickers/window/RJ4266.jpg
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:26 am
cavfancier wrote:
The British are descended from a tradition of nation-conquering. It's not surprising that they side with the 'Mericans on matters of warfare.

Sad but true.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:38 am
I beg to differ there Sgt Traffic cone. A proper throwing tomato is one that has the following properties
1-It is a low quality fruit (similar to those grown in Canada). we never waste our edibles

2It is of firm hand texture, More like Pam Andersons thingies than the aforementioned Ms Eckberg (who has been granted "thingy"emeritus status)

3 It (the tomato) smashes with great "sauzosity" upon contact with the target pre selected. Using the relationship of F=mv^2 and considering the solution for an elastic collision, you would have no business being in this conversation.

I do not consider a person like Hank tomatoseed as anything other than a product of thecabin-fevered Canadian mind. It is a commonly understood fact that People in Canada consume more alcoholic beverages than any other species , which results in the manufacture and embellishment of the tales about the aforementioned Mr. Hank. I for one am not impressed with such erzats testimony.

set, the sauce of which I spoke is usually used on latkes. I was just using a simile to describe how sweet our tomatoes are, here in the banana belt.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:49 am
Quote:
F=mv^2

Farmerperson's cranial capacity = mouse x vole divided by the displacement of Anita's 2 tits.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:55 am
I take it that Pennsylvania Dutch country doesn't have a whole lot of Jews living there, because ketchup (or it's poor cousin 'catsup') would never be caught dead on a proper latke. Sour cream and applesauce are the tradtional condiments.
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:03 am
My neibour happens to grow excellent tomatos in his garden during the summer, though if he caught me throwing one he would likely beat me about the head and neck with a length of hose or other sturdy yet flexible object.

Blatham, I contest your description of a perfect throwing tomato.
I believe that they should be soft enough that they explode on impact, yet firm enough that they can withstand the flight from your hand to the back of your unfortunate marks head. This ensures maximum splatter arrives on your target rather than on the ground.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:26 am
If you buy underripe, crappy supermarket tomatoes in the winter, you can wrap them in snow and whip them at people....looks and hurts like a snowball, stains like a tomato, a great combo.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:28 am
hey Cav! are you feeling well enough for a snacking excursion to Kensington some Saturday? Maybe with a meal break at Kim Hoa? Next Tranna get-together? Huh huh huh ... hope yer feeling better.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:42 am
ehBeth, I'm feeling well enough for anything, thank good doctors. I'm completely tapped out financially at the moment, but have bid on two large contracts that are looking good so far. Feast or famine in my world, sadly, but yes! BoGoWo would be keen too, I predict. I could also always go for good dim sum...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:47 am
oohoohooh

I can usually get a meal I can't finish at Kim Hoa for about $5 or $6 (lot less than I usually end up spending at Dim Sum). I was thinking something involving a tiny bit of walking - admiring fruit/veggies, maybe grabbing a loaf of olive bread from the My Market Bakery - then a leisurely chat at KH - maybe some of the other members, like k e v i n, who are not of pub age could join in?

It would be great to see the lads and lassies again.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:48 am
And some of THE most delicious peaches are grown in Canada too! *drool*

My first really good tomato was one I purchased at the Granville Island Market in Vancouver. It was one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten! Yummmmm!!! Very unlike the tasteless rot we have imported from California during the winter.
0 Replies