The Bible (a discussion)

jcboy

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 09:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Actually, Romeo is handling himself with more dignity and grace than you, Boy. You are acting like a two year old right now.

Why not calm down a bit...and show a Christian what real charity and human compassion is all about.

Christians don't know the meaning of real charity and human compassion, care to show an example?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 06:48 am
jcboy said:
Quote:
Christians don't know the meaning of real charity and human compassion

Your profile is a complete blank mate, I wish you'd tell us whether you're male/female and which fairy queen you worship so we know where you're coming from, or are you too shy and wimpy to say?..Wink
--------------------
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/swag80_zps72962e87.gif~original
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 07:05 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Actually, Romeo is handling himself with more dignity and grace than you, Boy. You are acting like a two year old right now.

Why not calm down a bit...and show a Christian what real charity and human compassion is all about.

Christians don't know the meaning of real charity and human compassion, care to show an example?

Learn to read...and I may be able to help you.
0 Replies

Abishai100

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 03:57 pm
@Smileyrius,
Many critics of the modern Western world believe that America's fascination with media access and Hollywood (USA) movies such as "Celebrity" (1998) have removed meditations of humility and religiousness from everyday life, and those who defend this so-called Western lifestyle believe that modern efficiency technologies should effectively separate Church and State in any case.

If modern art symbols in the Western world such as comic books have replaced the everyday appeal of the Bible today, can we find a way to at least negotiate a meeting ground between religious prudence and society glamour? If we can, then passages in the Bible that refer to industrial ambition (i.e., the achievements of King David) could in ways be relevant to today's discussions about wanderlust ravenousness.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 04:52 pm
Smileyrius said: "What merit does the book [Bible] hold to you in your faith?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a list of human encounters between off-world beings and the human race over many centuries, so from that standpoint it makes fascinating reading and should be on any open-minded persons bookshelf alongside stuff like UFO books, Bigfoot books, paranormal books etc..Smile
Jesus said- "I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going....I am not of this world....I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (John 8:14/8:23, Matt13:35),
so I'd say that makes him worth listening to, how about you Spock?

"Affirmative, I'm all ears"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Spock-vwj.jpg
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 07:10 pm
@Abishai100,
Huh?
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 07:57 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:

Now that's quite a stretch. Even though I'm an unbeliever in God I believe there are some Christians who act thoroughly Christian. Think of the missionaries who go into Africa and some parts of Asia to care for the poor and hungry with the only reward hopefully one day seeing their God. There are many people who practice their faith without any thought for themselves. But I draw the line at these right-wing religious Evangelicals who in part make up the cold-blooded Tea Party. Also, these people who are always screeching how they are Christian and everyone else is going to hell is too damn much for me. I detest these Televangelist ministers....now these people pull in some cold hard cash. Or these ministers who dress in fine robes and drive the latest Mercedes....surely their heaven is right here on earth deceiving the poor and naive.

I recall vividly the late Oral Roberts saying to his parishioners on TV that "God was going to call him home if he did not raise enough money for his University." Well, he got the amount of money he requested and then some. One reporter asked Roberts if he had gotten the amount of money he requested. Roberts said "Yes, but now I am trying to raise overflow."
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 10:05 pm
Moment-in-time said: "Think of the missionaries who go into Africa and some parts of Asia to care for the poor and hungry with the only reward hopefully one day seeing their God"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think they do it more to help people than to hope for any reward.
For examp Livingstone got a lot of motivation from his crusade to end the african slave trade, getting hit with every tropical disease the jungle could throw at him with little or no medicine-
"It is impossible to overstate the evils of slavery"- David Livingstone

Some of his diary entries-
7th August 1871 -"ill and almost every step in pain"
11th August-"Rested half a day as I am still ill"
13th August- "I am suffering greatly"
16th August- "To Luama river. Very ill with bowels"
19th-20th August- "Rest from weakness"
29th August- "ill all night, and remain"
30th August- "Ditto, ditto"
23rd September- "I felt as if dying on my feet..almost every step was in pain..violent diarrhoea"
8th October- "The dust of the march caused ophthalmia...ill"

0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 04:20 am
@Romeo following on from the atheist thread.

Romeo, You don't always have a uniform expression of your thoughts, for instance you have in the past expressed that you believe king Solomon to have been wrong, because his words contradict your interpretation of Jesus words.

Was God incapable of having a bible written without internal harmony? If you believe a single passage to be in error, how could you trust a single one?

It is akin to lining up a single face of a rubix cube, and proclaiming that the rest of the faces were probably meant to still be muddled.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 09:48 am
Quote:
Smileyrius said: Romeo, You don't always have a uniform expression of your thoughts, for instance you have in the past expressed that you believe king Solomon to have been wrong, because his words contradict your interpretation of Jesus words.

If Solomon wants to argue with Jesus it's none of my business, I'll put my money on Jesus to come out tops..Smile
neologist

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 10:06 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Smileyrius said: Romeo, You don't always have a uniform expression of your thoughts, for instance you have in the past expressed that you believe king Solomon to have been wrong, because his words contradict your interpretation of Jesus words.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
If Solomon wants to argue with Jesus it's none of my business, I'll put my money on Jesus to come out tops..
Perhaps you just don't have the foggiest idea about what Jesus was saying. He quoted regularly from the Hebrew writings.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 10:19 am
Who saves, Jesus or Solomon or anybody else?..Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 12:20 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Who saves, Jesus or Solomon or anybody else?..Smile

How about..."NOBODY?"
neologist

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 01:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Hi, Frank.
neologist

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 01:52 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Who saves, Jesus or Solomon or anybody else?.
Try to remember that the name Jesus means "Jehovah saves" or "Jehovah's salvation". So Jesus is the agent of Jehovah's salvation. Jehovah inspired the entire Bible. If there is part of it you don't understand, perhaps it is from lack of effort.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 02:00 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Hi, Frank.

Hey, Neo. What's the buzz...tell me what's happening.
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 02:35 pm
@neologist,
Bullshit . . . all you do is peddle bullshit. It's just a Latin corruption of the Koine Greek version of Yeshuah--Joshuah.
neologist

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 09:15 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah. There are a lot of folks named Jesus and Joshua. Doesn't change the meaning of the name.
anonymously99

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 09:29 pm
@neologist,
The bible is a book of love, understanding, knowledge...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 09:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Hey, Neo. What's the buzz...tell me what's happening.
Hawking survival stuff, mostly.

How's that little whit ball treating you?