A few ideas that come to mind:
- Probably the most influential set of books ever written by men. Quite a loose bag though.
- A source for many Western and Mid-Oriental metaphors and values.
- Generally decent literature. Funny at times. Boring elsewhere...
- Some myths (genesis, deluge) borrowed from Babylon, other things taken from Egypt.
- Useful to understand the evolution of moral and religious ideas, e.g. from polytheism to monolatry to monotheism, at least in the Jewish tradition.
- Unfortunately justifies racism and genocide.
- Lots of it outdated.