The Bible (a discussion)

rosborne979

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 04:40 am
I think the bible is a seething mass of conflicting messages, barbaric traditions, and stolen myths, guided by biased translations, cloaked in good intentions, and intended to hook the fearful, embolden the self-righteous and control the masses. A near perfect summary of human behavior and collective thought for most of the past 10000 years.
Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 04:45 am
@rosborne979,
Bravo
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 06:20 am
@rosborne979,
I see we have a few points of contention to work on. . . .
neologist

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 06:43 am
@tenderfoot,
That's pretty much what Dodgson had in mind, I guess. Right?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 04:43 am
@neologist,
A few
gungasnake

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 06:35 am
@Smileyrius,
Understanding many if not most Bible stories involves understanding that the authors describe things in their own language and idioms, and not ours. Thus for instance, 2 Samuel 6:6 notes that God slew Uzzah for the transgression of attempting to prevent the ark falling off a wagon, rather than noting, as we would, that he touched something which amounted to a crude capacitor and electrocuted himself.

Similarly in the case of the flood, midrashic sources connect Isaiah 30:26 and Genesis 7:4 and note that God "turned on the primordial lights of the universe" to commemorate the death of Methuselah (who died just prior to the flood); we would write that there was a nova or nova-like event in or close to our own system, followed by seven days of intense light and radiation, and then the flood, i.e. that the flood itself was part and parcel of some solar-system-wide calamity. The NIB translation of Isaiah 30:26 ("the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven FULL days...") meaning "as bright, as if you were to somehow cram seven days of light into one day" is clearly wrong.
Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 06:45 am
I'm sure someone should be able to sell that boy a bridge--he believes the most egregious horsie poop.

Here's the crux of the biscuit:

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 01:24 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Understanding many if not most Bible stories involves understanding that the authors describe things in their own language and idioms, and not ours. Thus for instance, 2 Samuel 6:6 notes that God slew Uzzah for the transgression of attempting to prevent the ark falling off a wagon, rather than noting, as we would, that he touched something which amounted to a crude capacitor and electrocuted himself. . .
And that this happened upon his touching the ark, which was prohibited to him, should be considered a celestial coincidence.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 01:32 pm
@rosborne979,
Well, I certainly agree that a self serving priesthood has, for thousands of years, picked and sorted through scripture in order to control the masses.

Where we disagree, I suppose, is that I aver the sins of the priesthood are the fault, not of God, not of scripture, but of the priesthood.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 01:44 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Well, I certainly agree that a self serving priesthood has, for thousands of years, picked and sorted through scripture in order to control the masses.

Where we disagree, I suppose, is that I aver the sins of the priesthood are the fault, not of God, not of scripture, but of the priesthood.

The god of the Bible says there is nothing wrong with slavery...that it is morally permissable to own slaves and to buy and sell them.

Is that a sin of the priesthood also?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:18 pm
I was going to post a comment. But, after reading all the other responses, have decided it's a far, far better thing to avoid joining this group of posters who're merrily babbling on, posting their own personal "insights" (aka prejudices), rather than considering the question as stated in the OP.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I was going to post a comment. But, after reading all the other responses, have decided it's a far, far better thing to avoid joining this group of posters who're merrily babbling on, posting their own personal "insights" (aka prejudices), rather than considering the question as stated in the OP.

There is that!

But if we stuck to the question as stated in the OP...wouldn't that be going against everything A2K stands for? Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Oh, i don't know . . . that author left it pretty open-ended:

Smileyrius wrote:
I invite you to discuss your take on scripture. What merit does the book hold to you in your faith?

I refer you to my post in which i addressed it rather artistically.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 04:28 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I agree.
neologist wrote:

We do not disagree on this. Since I don't believe in God I could never blame God for anything. So of course, people in general (priests in this specific case) are the root cause of any malfeasance.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 05:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
The god of the Bible says there is nothing wrong with slavery...that it is morally permissable to own slaves and to buy and sell them.

Do you really know the God of the bible condones slavery? I think not. I don't read it that way.

If Adam and Eve had not sinned, we would never have had slavery. We would never have had any of the ills humanity has endured these thousands of years. God permitted slavery. He permitted divorce. He permitted humans to form governments after telling them to disburse throughout the earth. (You can read God's opinion of kings in 1 Samuel 8: 5-19)

He has suffered wars and every crime that could be conceived of human against human. He has watched humans experience disease and death. All the while, believers have taken solace in His promise to eventually set matters straight, to grant those who have died the opportunity to live again and to rid the world of His adversary, the one who sought to divert His purpose.

Of course, you can't be expected to know that either, And I can't submit incontrovertible argument in its behalf. But I do know it in the way that has worked for me.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 05:34 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Do you really know the God of the bible condones slavery? I think not. I don't read it that way.

If Adam and Eve had not sinned, we would never have had slavery. We would never have had any of the ills humanity has endured these thousands of years. God permitted slavery. He permitted divorce. He permitted humans to form governments after telling them to disburse throughout the earth. (You can read God's opinion of kings in 1 Samuel 8: 5-19)

He has suffered wars and every crime that could be conceived of human against human. He has watched humans experience disease and death. All the while, believers have taken solace in His promise to eventually set matters straight, to grant those who have died the opportunity to live again and to rid the world of His adversary, the one who sought to divert His purpose.

Of course, you can't be expected to know that either, And I can't submit incontrovertible argument in its behalf. But I do know it in the way that has worked for me.

Here is the quote from the Bible, Neo.

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen."
Leviticus 25:44ff

How do you interpret "You may own them; you may buy them; you may own them a chattels; you may leave them to your sons as hereditary property, making them perpetual slaves?"

neologist

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 05:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yeah, that's the way it was, Frank.
fresco

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 01:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
As an agnostic, Frank, you presumably leave open the option of "the reality of God". Neologist may conceive of such a reality in terms of a " God who moves in mysterious ways".... a God who endeavours to teach "universal love" by allowing people to realise the inhumanity of slavery by the first hand experience of being involved in it . Who knows what rationalisation believers need to construct ?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 04:29 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Yeah, that's the way it was, Frank.

Oh...so the god thought it was okay for that time?

And are you saying that the god put a time limit on it?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 04:29 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

As an agnostic, Frank, you presumably leave open the option of "the reality of God". Neologist may conceive of such a reality in terms of a " God who moves in mysterious ways".... a God who endeavours to teach "universal love" by allowing people to realise the inhumanity of slavery by the first hand experience of being involved in it . Who knows what rationalisation believers need to construct ?

I leave open all possibilities. I'm waiting from an answer from him.