4
   

The Bible and Dinosaurs

 
 
Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 09:04 pm
What Does the Bible Say About Dinosaurs?
 
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 09:08 pm
@nycfunction,
The Bible never mentions dinosaurs, but it mentions "behemoths", "dragons" and "leviathans" that some people believe are references to dinosaurs.
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  1  
Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 09:29 pm
The markings of the Grand Canyon show the disappearance of the dinosaurs corresponds with the great flood (of Noah).
Merry Andrew
 
  1  
Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 12:33 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
The markings of the Grand Canyon show the disappearance of the dinosaurs corresponds with the great flood (of Noah).


Well, obviously, it's because Noah was dead drunk and forgot to round up one male and one female tyrannosaurus rex. Or any other 'saurus for that matter.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 01:50 am

Have dinosaur fossils been found in the Grand Canyon ?
Francis
 
  2  
Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 03:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No, there haven't. They are found in the layers above (superior strata).

But as always you seem quite impermeable to irony...
rosborne979
 
  3  
Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:21 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

No, there haven't. They are found in the layers above (superior strata).

But as always you seem quite impermeable to irony...

Either that or he's swimming in facetiousness Smile

0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:21 am
@Francis,
Actually, ichnofossils(tracks) of the earliest "pre"- dino reptiles from the Permian are found in the Coconino Fm(the Permian strata) .The top formations of the Canyon are actually Triassic marine sediments, so we really wouldnt expect many dinosaurs, however there were some parapsid reptile chunks from the Chinle members and other memebers of the Moenkopi Fm.These, while not officially dinosaurs, were considered warm blooded marine reptiles.

Not everyone has access to GEolEx so that the component stratigraphy of the CAnyon could be referenced.
I dont see that David suffers from any lack of capacity because of his question.

More than Davids question , the Grand Canyon stratigraphy serves as a great book wherein the history of the earth (at least the local portion of the earth from the mid PreCambrian to the Triassic) is presented in a good sequence and serves as a wonderful tool to discuss predictability and falsifiability. The Creationists (sorry to get up on the box again) have hoodwinked the national park service to actually allow the publication and sales of the "Creationist view of the Grand CAnyon" and have it sold in the Rim Gift Shops without major comment.

The USGS had, during the Bush years, complained about this pamphlet when it was being proposed and written. Bushies view on science was that these "alternative views" should be preached and made available as valid science.
The "alternative" view on the Grand CAnyon is full of error and lies, (Just like the Biblical mention of behemoth and leviathan are used as some validation of the mention of dinosaurs and man being contemporary species).

The Bible does not mention anything that can be construed as dinosaurian. The description of behemoth can be an elephant, a hippo, or a komodo dragon.

rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:23 am
@nycfunction,
nycfunction wrote:

What Does the Bible Say About Dinosaurs?

Why do you ask?
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 01:51 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

No, there haven't. They are found in the layers above (superior strata).

But as always you seem quite impermeable to irony...
I see; thay r in the layers above the Grand Canyon.

Yeah; I thawt I saw them up there.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 02:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The Bible does not mention anything that can be construed as dinosaurian.
The description of behemoth can be an elephant, a hippo, or a komodo dragon.
Agreed. I took it to mean an undefined large animal.

I am not sure about the best approach to deciding what to sell in the bookstore.
Government shoud neither endorse known factual error,
nor censor dissenting points of vu.

Is the store privately owned ?
or owned by government ?





David
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 03:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I am not sure about the best approach to deciding what to sell in the bookstore.
Government shoud neither endorse known factual error,
nor censor dissenting points of vu.

Is the store privately owned ?
or owned by government ?



The govt owned and privately operated bookstore is presenting a religious "science" paper about the Grand Canyon (GC). This is a limited view as presented by the Fundamentalist Christians. To be perfectly accurate and all inclusive, the PArks Service should also include GC legends of the HAvasupai and Ute Indians, as well as those of other denominations. The USGS has tried to, by its peer review process, invite only reasonable and evidence based interpretations of the GC's origin. The USGS was, as I said before, totally ignored by Bush 's "science advisors" (the majority of whom were ID and Fundamentalist Christians). Its too bad when science is made to appear abitrary. Geology is connescted to the other sciences by being product of the laws and theories of physics, chemistry and mechanics. What happens next is that the Fundamentalists forget all these disciplines and make believe that Geo is whatever you say it is.
Im afraid that because most folks havent a clue they feel free to interpret the rules of geology in light of their revealed" religious truths". If you use bullshit rules in your analyses , then the very product of your data analyses cant rise any higher than a cow plop
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:07 am
@nycfunction,
nycfunction wrote:
What Does the Bible Say About Dinosaurs?


Not a goddamned thing.
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  2  
Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 07:54 am
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2784/raptorjesus1ep9.jpg
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 08:50 am
@joefromchicago,
HA!!

Ahem, Our Lizard will get you for this abomination.(well technically its not an abomination its idolatry but wtf)
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:23 am
Everything you ever wanted to know about dinosaurs and the bible ... but were afraid to ask.

Quote:
The Bible tells us that God created all of the land animals on the sixth day of creation. As dinosaurs were land animals, they must have been made on this day, alongside Adam and Eve, who were also created on Day Six (Genesis 1:24"31). If God designed and created dinosaurs, they would have been fully functional, designed to do what they were created for, and would have been 100% dinosaur. This fits exactly with the evidence from the fossil record.

Evolutionists declare that no man ever lived alongside dinosaurs. The Bible, however, makes it plain that dinosaurs and people must have lived together. Actually, as we will soon see, there is a lot of evidence for this.
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:34 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2784/raptorjesus1ep9.jpg


How come them kids look like Germans, and not Jews?
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:41 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
What Did Dinosaurs Eat?
The Bible teaches (in Genesis 1:29"30) that the original animals (and the first humans) were commanded to be vegetarian. There were no meat eaters in the original creation. Furthermore, there was no death. It was an unblemished world, with Adam and Eve and animals (including dinosaurs) living in perfect harmony, eating only plants.

Apparently they ate plants for the fun of it, because if there was no death, then they didn't really need to eat.

So I guess the animals were immortal and perfect, but those lowly plants, well, they just got eaten by all the immortal animals which didn't need to eat.

Nice. Sounds like a real "perfect" world.
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:56 am
@rosborne979,
a lot of em died of self induced facial cuts when their teeth would slip and lacerate their lips all while they were munching a salad.
0 Replies
 
gungasnake
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 12:43 pm
@nycfunction,
The old testament mentions the behemoth, which might be construed as a sauropod dinosaur and midrashim refer to several others including the reem, ziz bird, and "Og", the king of Bashan, but the context reads as if what was being described was a handful of holdovers which were viewed as oddities at a time just prior to the flood.

American Indian oral traditions and paintings indicate that Amerind ancestors dealt with dinosaurs on a more regular basis up to some point but there's still no way to think that Amerind ancestors ever had to deal with raptors or the more dangerous kinds of dinosaurs.
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » The Bible and Dinosaurs
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 07/24/2019 at 03:35:58