gollum

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 05:37 pm
I believe in the Old Testament, the Jews cry out to God to give them a king. God replies that a king will take their freedom and property, etc. But the people insist they want a king, which they finally get.

I may have it wrong. Maybe they cried to a prophet not to God.

In any event, where in the Bible is that story?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,179 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 05:38 pm
@gollum,
I don't think it's the Bible per se. I think you're thinking of the story of Saul.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 11:57 pm
@jespah,
The story of Saul is contained in the Old Testament. I think it's in the Book of Judges but I'm not positive and don't have a copy of the Book to hand. (If I were home, I would but I'm currently taking advantage of the free wif-fi at the local McDonald's. Smile)
gungasnake

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Saul was a king, not a judge. He had a mirror which he used to ask:

Quote:
Mirror mirror, on the wall, who's the greatest king of all??

and the mirror would reply:

Quote:
Kong!!

knowing that Saul was superstitious and was not gonna incur seven years of bad luck by breaking the mirror.

If you were more serious about reading the Bible, you'd know **** like that.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:37 pm
First mention of Saul is in 1 Samuel which is after Judges.
0 Replies

1Prince

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 09:12 pm
@gollum,
1 Samuel :1; Now it came to pass when Samuel was old that he made his sons judges over Israel. 2 The name of his firstborn was Joel, and the name of his second, Abijah; they were judges in Beersheba. 3 But his sons did not walk in his ways; they turned aside after dishonest gain, took bribes, and perverted justice. 4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah, 5 and said to him, "Look, you are old, and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now make us a king to judge us like all the nations." 6 But the thing displeased Samuel when they said, "Give us a king to judge us." So Samuel prayed to the Lord. 7 And the Lord said to Samuel, "Heed the voice of the people in all that they say to you; for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me, that I should not reign over them. 8 According to all the works which they have done since the day that I brought them up out of Egypt, even to this day--with which they have forsaken Me and served other gods--so they are doing to you also. 9 Now therefore, heed their voice. However, you shall solemnly forewarn them, and show them the behavior of the king who will reign over them."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 09:53 pm
@gollum,
So they got their king, and sure enough . . .
We have come to this . . .
“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.”

― Denis Diderot
0 Replies