The Bible (a discussion)

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 04:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
Can't you get it into your head that there is no God?

It is a construction of human societies to reinforce whatever it is a society does. The legal profession has just struck down the God you're talking about. And not for the first time.

God is a flexible concept.

The only explanation I can think of for this idiotic position of yours is that you believe the Bible to be divine revelation.

Or maybe you think we will all be impressed by your opposition to slavery being proof of what a good bloke you are.

We buy and sell people today but more discreetly. With finesse.

The Bible is a wonderful book for people with intelligence.
spendius

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 05:11 am
@spendius,
The theory of evolution is in the Gospels in 30 words. And Darwin took it not a jot further.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 05:24 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Can't you get it into your head that there is no God?

It is a construction of human societies to reinforce whatever it is a society does. The legal profession has just struck down the God you're talking about. And not for the first time.

God is a flexible concept.

The only explanation I can think of for this idiotic position of yours is that you believe the Bible to be divine revelation.

Or maybe you think we will all be impressed by your opposition to slavery being proof of what a good bloke you are.

We buy and sell people today but more discreetly. With finesse.

The Bible is a wonderful book for people with intelligence.

Learn to read, Spendius.

I have not been talking about God or GOD.

I have been talking about the god in the Bible.

I have been talking about what that god instructs.
spendius

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

What for?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:20 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

What for?

Take a look at the title of the thread!
neologist

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Yeah, that's the way it was, Frank.
Oh...so the god thought it was okay for that time?]/quote]Okay is not the right word. God did not think it was okay for Satan to abuse Job; but he allowed it.
Frank Apisa wrote:
And are you saying that the god put a time limit on it?
We are all subject to that time limit, Frank. God put an end to Job's suffering. He will put an end to mankind's suffering.
neologist

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:29 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
. . . Neologist may conceive of such a reality in terms of a " God who moves in mysterious ways"....
If you mean inscrutable, no. Unknowable, no. But its true we haven't learned it all, yet.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:31 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Yeah, that's the way it was, Frank.
Oh...so the god thought it was okay for that time?]/quote]Okay is not the right word. God did not think it was okay for Satan to abuse Job; but he allowed it.
Frank Apisa wrote:
And are you saying that the god put a time limit on it?
We are all subject to that time limit, Frank. God put an end to Job's suffering. He will put an end to mankind's suffering.

But you still have not told me how you interpret that quote from your god.
neologist

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:31 am
@neologist,
Drat!
That's what I get for trying to create a neat format.
Doh!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:36 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Not nearly as interesting as the psychology of a humanity which still clings to such myths.

Perhaps ros might explain what he means aside from what he wants to mean.

For example, "myth" means stories idiots give credence to. "such" having the right amount of contempt in it. "Clings" suggesting desperation. Basket cases not to put too fine a point on it.

Not at all like ros.

Imagine ros coming to power!! Directing funds to study the psychology of humanity scientifically. Scientific being what ros says it is gleaned from another sort of bible. The scientific scrolls. Humanity studied in a behaviourist's maze. White coats, clipboards, big glasses. Eyebrows super-glued in equanimity position.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:45 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Well, I certainly agree that a self serving priesthood has, for thousands of years, picked and sorted through scripture in order to control the masses.

Do you think, neo, that they didn't ought to have done that and allowed the masses to be uncontrolled?

Is there any Darwinian explanation why a priesthood should not be self-serving?
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:55 am
Spendius wrote:
Is there any Darwinian explanation why a priesthood should not be self-serving?

No, there isn't.

But by the same token there's no explanation either for the acceptance of such behavior by "the faithful".

Well, sometimes in history, they didn't..

Denis Diderot wrote:
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
spendius

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 08:11 am
@timur,
That's all circular to me tim. Including DD's ambiguity.

According to the Biblical version of evolution theory, short and snappy enough to be easily missed by inattentive readers, the priesthoods that were not accepted were in error and subsequent priesthoods studied what those errors were and how to avoid them. Thus improving the process, like giraffes improve their necks in order to reach the tenderest leaves, only a lot faster because we are more intelligent than giraffes who would never think of applying a chain saw or a ladder.

Hence, if evolution is taken as read, our priesthood ought to be the best there has ever been and the evidence of its efforts seems to bear that out.

I am at a loss to even speculate on how we got here from where we were a few thousand years ago if the last king had been strangled by the last priest's entrails at that time. M. Diderot was indulging himself I'm afraid although quite stylishly I'll admit.

Would you care to speculate on getting here from where we were.

What actually happened needs no speculations. I presume you are glad it did happen. I certainly am.

I think what bothers a lot of people is a felt disgrace for not knowing how such a momentous trick was pulled off. They cover it up to their own satisfaction with a pile of facile drivel chosen to fit the purpose.

You would never have heard of Henry Ford had it not been. And you can put posting on A2K right out of your mind so far that even Plato would have thought us aliens from outer space. Which some say we are.

Olivier5

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 08:40 am
@timur,
Quote:
Denis Diderot wrote:
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

This phrase is attributed to Jean Meslier, not to Diderot.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 08:43 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I am at a loss to even speculate on how we got here from where we were a few thousand years ago if the last king had been strangled by the last priest's entrails at that time. M. Diderot was indulging himself I'm afraid although quite stylishly I'll admit.

There's a time for kings and there's a time for democracy. My 2 cts anyway.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 10:55 am
Olivier5 wrote:

Denis Diderot wrote:

This phrase is attributed to Jean Meslier, not to Diderot.

This has been controversial for quite a while.

But we know for sure that
Jean Meslier wrote:
« Les hommes deviennent tous les jours de plus en plus vicieux et méchants,
Olivier5

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 12:20 pm
@timur,
Quote:
This has been controversial for quite a while.

Indeed.

Jean Meslier wrote:
« Les hommes deviennent tous les jours de plus en plus vicieux et méchants,

Wouldn't that make a terrific moto for A2K? Wink
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 01:54 pm
Unreasonable condemnations of the Bible, and there are no reasonable ones, stem from knowing some part of it which questions behaviour which there is no intention to change. Possibly no possibility.

As such behaviour cannot be admitted, other aspects, not necessarily understood, are brought forth as the means of the condemnation. Usually appealing to 21st century compassion.

It is not a surprise that adultery was severely condemned in Biblical times because of the troubles it caused. Adultery today doesn't cause anywhere near as much trouble and when no trouble at all results, as it generally doesn't if it's merely a bit of fun, there are few reasons to reproach it and, in some cases, it may be praised on medical grounds.

Olivier5

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 02:36 pm
@spendius,
At the very least, the Law as written in Leviticus and Numbers is obsolete. It always was a bit silly, full of strange ideas and furor. Full of injustice and bizarre, unduable or irrational (khok) commandments too.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 02:43 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

At the very least, the Law as written in Leviticus and Numbers is obsolete. It always was a bit silly, full of strange ideas and furor. Full of injustice and bizarre, unduable or irrational (khok) commandments too.

That is putting it about as kindly as it could be put.

The agreement of the god that the Hebrews could buy, sell, own slaves and keep them slaves forever...

...supposedly was given to Moses during the trek of the Hebrews escaping from slavery in Egypt.

Holy ****!