The Bible (a discussion)

rosborne979

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 04:43 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
But you are certain.

Yes, I'm certain I understand you better now. But it's ok, many of the delusional on A2K are the most entertaining of all. I don't think your schtick is at the top tier of lunacy yet, but who knows, over time you might become completely "Bewildered" (my own obscure reference for you) and provide some real entertainment. Wink We'll just have to wait and see.
neologist

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 06:17 am
@rosborne979,
I've traversed the Pemigewasset Loop many times. I've been swimming in the Pemigewasset. I've been atop every peak over 4000' in the state, some several times. I know New Hampshire as well as I know your confirmation bias.

Not that I don't have confirmation bias of my own. I am aware of mine, however.
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 06:45 am
@neologist,
ros must be habituated to talking like that in his neighborhood and not being laughed at. Apisa regularly pulls that stroke--it's all good fun--hehehehe--thanks for the entertainment.

Both of them are deadly serious. ros proves it by ignoring my posts. So does Setanta as well.

Atheists are good fun. Fancy them pretending they have a sense of humour. Sheesh!! That's hilarious. They have no proprietaries, logically, to set the biology in opposition to. How can they have a sense of humor in a state like that?

They declare they have of course just like they declare the Bible to have no internal consistency. Foam from the mouth is all they have and appealing to the baser elements in society which have difficulty with self control.
neologist

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 06:53 am
@spendius,
There is a benefit to non belief.
Not that all non believers avail themselves of it Mr. Green
It's the license the serpent promised Eve.
Present company excepted, of course.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 07:26 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It is self-evidently of extreme value to say that the Bible is the terminal from which the train of modern science began its journey.

That is utter, self-serving nonsense. It is not only NOT self-evident...it is my opinion that adherence to various teaching of the Bible impeded and retarded science.

Quote:
Such a statement welcomes being refuted but claiming that the statement has no value or is pretentious has zero value in that regard. And neither does any other bullshit of a similar nature.

Perhaps not to you, but to me it does. And if you ever want to stop being an insufferable, pretentious person...it should start being of value to you also.

Quote:
Without the Bible there is no USA. What's the value of that?

That is of no value whatever, because it is nothing but self-serving blather. You have absolutely no idea if there would or would not be a "United States" if the Bible had never existed. Stop being so pretentious.

Quote:
Refute the statement. Sarcasm and snarling on behalf of your trouser zipper is neither here nor there.

I have refuted it. And you really should consider stopping the pretentious nonsense.

Thank you for asking.
fresco

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 01:19 pm
Laughing
This exchange between Spendi and Frank for some reason suggests to me a cartoon parody boxing match between Lord Byron and Homer Simpson.
I'm somewhat surprised that Spendi might think Frank could understand that what we called "science" could be steeped in a paradigmatic biblical history whether positively (as e.g in creation/big bang) or negatively ( e.g.Darwin's non anthropocentricity). Paradigmatic polarities as epistemological fields are simply not on the menu for naive realists.

So seconds away....round 3 (?) at Mrs. Miggins' Pie Shop and Sporting Club !
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 01:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
That is utter, self-serving nonsense.

Which is what that is. Nothing but a blurt. As is--

Quote:
It is not only NOT self-evident...

Quote:
.it is my opinion that adherence to various teaching of the Bible impeded and retarded science.

That is only true in the same sense that the law impedes and retards laissez faire capitalism and evolution. Authorities need to take account of the population. And I said "modern science".

You obviously don't take the point about the chariots carrying the sun and moon being the first ideas on gravity. Such things begat thinking on another world outside of earth.

One thing is sure and that it is Christianity that invented and developed modern science. You offer no alternative route. And your opinion is only worth what it is based upon which is the trouser zipper and a lack of knowledge about scientific matters.

Quote:
Perhaps not to you, but to me it does. And if you ever want to stop being an insufferable, pretentious person...it should start being of value to you also.

That is just drivel. Mind gush. As an answer to the challenge to rebut my statement it is nothing. Where's the value in proposing that modern science arrived through some other culture. We know it didn't.

Without the Bible there is no USA. I can't imagine anybody being stupid enough to disagree with that. You have no capacity to follow a train of thought lasting 2,000 years.

Without the Bible there would be no frilly lingerie. Try that on your empty head you silly old ******. And no Slazenger Fast-flite 4 irons either.

Quote:
I have refuted it. And you really should consider stopping the pretentious nonsense.

There must be a word that covers such silliness.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 01:56 pm
@spendius,
Spendius wrote:
It is self-evidently of extreme value to say that the Bible is the terminal from which the train of modern science began its journey.

More precisely, modern science began its journey with mediaeval Christian theologians wanting to square the Bible with the rigors of Greek philosophy (a branch of which is natural philosophy that was the precursor to modern science) which at the time was being rediscovered in the West from the Muslims who had preserved in Arabic much of the writings and texts of the ancient Greek philosophers that had been lost during the period of the Roman Empire’s downfall.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 02:04 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Without the Bible there is no USA. I can't imagine anybody being stupid enough to disagree with that. You have no capacity to follow a train of thought lasting 2,000 years.

Without the Bible there would be no frilly lingerie. Try that on your empty head you silly old ******. And no Slazenger Fast-flite 4 irons either.

Quote:

There must be a word that covers such silliness.

I am beginning to suspect you actually think that is so, Spendius...rather than just the ravings of an out-of-control poster trying to appear clever.

Sad, that, because I honestly have thought of you as intelligent.

Apparently you aren't.

So...rave on. I'll get what laughs I can out of watching you.

Wink
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
More precisely, modern science began its journey with mediaeval Christian theologians wanting to square the Bible with the rigors of Greek philosophy (a branch of which is natural philosophy that was the precursor to modern science) which at the time was being rediscovered in the West from the Muslims who had preserved in Arabic much of the writings and texts of the ancient Greek philosophers that had been lost during the period of the Roman Empire’s downfall.

You must have watched too many documentaries IB. Media Productions Inc, and we know which side they are on and we know why.

"The Roman Empire's downfall" eh? That's a phrase to conjure with in the dark night of the soul. I put it down to not having pin-point navigation systems on drones and an eye in the sky. Nor ever having a chance of them.

What do you put it down to?

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I think that is the second time today that a poster on your side of the trouser zipper has used the word "sad".

I have come across the use of that word many times as a method of winning an argument and it was mostly by ladies of the Grauniad type.

I once saw a lady Grauniad columnist use the word on Sky News' Paper's Review and her fellow guest on the show just rolled his eyes discreetly.

I don't give an on-the-winger whether you think, or thought, me intelligent. But I'm glad you were honest about it when you did.
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:30 pm
@fresco,
I trust I am not wearing Lord Byron's colours fresco. But I know nothing about Mr Simpson. I only do Tom and Jerry and Roadrunner stuff. And Popeye.

I'm a fan of pie shops and sporting clubs except for the one at Wimbledon.

Quote:
I'm somewhat surprised that Spendi might think Frank could understand that what we called "science" could be steeped in a paradigmatic biblical history

What else could it be steeped in? The same "dirt" had been present a long time.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:32 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I think that is the second time today that a poster on your side of the trouser zipper has used the word "sad".

I have come across the use of that word many times as a method of winning an argument and it was mostly by ladies of the Grauniad type.

I once saw a lady Grauniad columnist use the word on Sky News' Paper's Review and her fellow guest on the show just rolled his eyes discreetly.

I don't give an on-the-winger whether you think, or thought, me intelligent. But I'm glad you were honest about it when you did.

Why don't you stop being so goddam pretentious, Spendius.

Honestly, you do not wear it very well.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:48 pm
@spendius,
Pin-point navigatin systems on drones and eyes in the sky aren't going to prevent the downfall of this civilization.
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 04:57 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Pin-point navigatin systems on drones and eyes in the sky aren't going to prevent the downfall of this civilization.

In "death of the sun" terms your logic is irrefutable. In the foreseeable future I think you are wrong but I accept that it is a matter of opinion.

I see no evidence that we are screwing up in any fundamental way.
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 05:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Have you ever seen anybody who has ceased to be pretentious? The guy sprawled on the sidewalk in Midnight Cowboy was an actor who likely had dimmer switches in his lounge and a tailor. Same with the beach bum in Local Hero. He was a member of Equity for ****'s sake.
farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 05:27 pm
@spendius,
whoa, now our spendi is trying to impress as a student of paleo-pop-culture.
Midnite Cowboy?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 05:51 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

Have you ever seen anybody who has ceased to be pretentious? The guy sprawled on the sidewalk in Midnight Cowboy was an actor who likely had dimmer switches in his lounge and a tailor. Same with the beach bum in Local Hero. He was a member of Equity for ****'s sake.

Not only do you not wear pretentiousness well, Spendius, you swear like Mr. Spock.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 06:42 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I see no evidence that we are screwing up in any fundamental way.

If I were able to remove the redwood tree from your eye I would.
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 03:27 am
@reasoning logic,
What would I see if you did that I couldn't see with the other eye.

You need to put a little more effort into your image creation rl. Me having two eyes and you only having one redwood tree is not very good to say the least.

What do you think is going wrong which will produce the downfall?