The Bible (a discussion)

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 02:01 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I would be astounded to think that you thought the sun and moon were "transported" across the sky in a chariot each day.
Did you see that in your Bible, Frank? No wonder you have your perceptions all teeterboroed up.

Yup...I would.
neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 02:01 pm
@neologist,
Then let me be the first to say.
HoHoKus!
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 02:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Whoa...while I was typing...apparently you edit.

Sorry for that.

Let's take the new material and see what we can do with it.

Don't know what "teeterboroed" means.

Just an example of something else I would be astounded to think you guessed.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 02:05 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Then let me be the first to say.
HoHoKus!

Teterboro???
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 02:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Was on board the Yankee Lady there last year!
rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 02:20 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The internal consistency is not there--you just won't admit that because believing is more important to you than critical review.

Not only that but fantasy stories and delusions are often consistent internally, it's not even difficult or rare. Especially if you decide ahead of time that it must be consistent so you allow yourself infinite flexibility of "interpretation". So looking for internal consistency is definitely the wrong place to start.
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 02:50 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You can believe, you can trumpet your certainty, but you can't know any of this.

n--"Yes I can"
s-- "No you can't"
Repeat three times with crescendo
n--"Can"
s--Can't"
Repeat as often as you think they can keep it up.
n--******* well can"
s--******* well can't
n--"**** off!"
s--"You **** off".

If anyone fancies continuing the dialogue for our amusement please feel free.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 02:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Having enough fun with those not from here trying to pronounce Puyallup!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 03:10 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
. . . Especially if you decide ahead of time (insert choice here) . . .
Sorry for the parenthetical aside. Except for how well it fits all our arguments. The only real danger in this common approach is in allowing one's epoxy to set.

Oh, did I say set? Frank ly, it could be any of us taking too ros y a view of our undoubtable intellects. Don't spendius your $ before its earned. You may come down with the blue s. Right, Jack?

Of course, I am the neoly apointed exception
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 03:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
If you cannot see the difference, Spendius...then most likely no explanation will do. It is very easy to see.

Look Mr Apisa--some members of your audience on here are more intelligent than you allow them credit for and know what that means.

It means you can't explain and the reason you can't is because I am a half-wit and any explanation would be wasted on me. So you are excused explaining and get to insult me in one wisecrack.

Is there anything else easy to see that you can't explain?

Besides--others might be interested in your explanation of the obvious difference between believing and knowing. I feel sure that the massed ranks of philosophers down the ages who have wrested a comfortable living out of this reluctant earth by considering this difference would be very pleased to have it clarified for them. Although I'll admit it is possible some wouldn't for the sort of personal reasons inadmissible in a genteel intellectual discussion.

Explain the difference eh? It's "easy to see".

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 03:23 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
If you cannot see the difference, Spendius...then most likely no explanation will do. It is very easy to see.

Look Mr Apisa--some members of your audience on here are more intelligent than you allow them credit for and know what that means.

It means you can't explain and the reason you can't is because I am a half-wit and any explanation would be wasted on me. So you are excused explaining and get to insult me in one wisecrack.

Is there anything else easy to see that you can't explain?

Besides--others might be interested in your explanation of the obvious difference between believing and knowing. I feel sure that the massed ranks of philosophers down the ages who have wrested a comfortable living out of this reluctant earth by considering this difference would be very pleased to have it clarified for them. Although I'll admit it is possible some wouldn't for the sort of personal reasons inadmissible in a genteel intellectual discussion.

Explain the difference eh? It's "easy to see".

I'm sorry, Spendius...I wasn't paying attention. Were you saying something?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 03:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I would be astounded to think that you thought the sun and moon were "transported" across the sky in a chariot each day.

I interpreted a slice of Leviticus for you the other day and I'll do that for your slice from somewhere else.

The sun and moon being carried across the sky, which is likely in Homer, was man's earliest intimations of gravity and of unknown forces. We don't go from caves to Einstein in one quick step. It was a way with words which carried the first and crudest explanation of what was going on in the sky and without such a jump off point we never get to Einstein.

You are objecting to these writings, in the service of your convenience, because the authors were not born in NJ in the mid 30s.

Take us from mankind never giving a thought to what was going on in the sky to relativity theory. Give us an alternative mechanism.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 03:35 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

I interpreted a slice of Leviticus for you the other day and I'll do that for your slice from somewhere else.

The sun and moon being carried across the sky, which is likely in Homer, was man's earliest intimations of gravity and of unknown forces. We don't go from caves to Einstein in one quick step. It was a way with words which carried the first and crudest explanation of what was going on in the sky and without such a jump off point we never get to Einstein.

You are objecting to these writings, in the service of your convenience, because the authors were not born in NJ in the mid 30s.

Take us from mankind never giving a thought to what was going on in the sky to relativity theory. Give us an alternative mechanism.

I do not know what in hell you are raving about here, Spendius...but if you stopped being so goddam pretentious, perhaps you would be able to say something of value. You certainly are smart enough to do so. So why not do it?
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 05:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It just won't do old boy. Your every post is making you look stupider and stupider and wimpier and wimpier.

Get thee to Twitter. That is designed for people like you. Able 2 Know and Ask An Expert obviously drew you in here for the wrong reason.

You have the two of hearts, the four of clubs, the six and seven of diamonds and the nine of hearts in your hand and you demand the pot without displaying your cards.

Get thee to Twitter. That caters for thick cunts like you I gather.

That I can't be expected to understand your explanation of the difference between believing and knowing and that I'm pretentious and raving is not sufficient grounds for your failure to provide any explanations.

Take us from the caves to Einstein without the intermediate step of chariots carrying the heavenly bodies.

Just do it and cut out the flim-flam. If you can't "man up" and admit it.

We can do diving off cliffs onto solid rocks 200 ft below with thongs of twisted vines round our ankles 199 ft long, to impress ladies, to 18 hole golf courses where flags are used to denote the exact position of the hole, later.

Much later by the look of it.

That I am a pretentious half wit with nothing of value to say is not really evidence of anything. Least of all your non-explanations having validity.

I'm only here due to a misunderstanding in a revolving door in a posh hotel in Blackpool caused by a penalty that hit the post.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 06:23 pm
@spendius,
Gawd, spendius, now you're starting to bore even me and I have a remarkably high threshold of tolerance for your brand of malarkey. You just run on and on, with not a shred of reason in these postings. You're getting downright obnoxious and inviting people to put you 'ignore.' I don't intend to do that, but you are starting to get on my nerves.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 07:32 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
. . . Especially if you decide ahead of time (insert choice here) . . .
Sorry for the parenthetical aside. Except for how well it fits all our arguments. The only real danger in this common approach is in allowing one's epoxy to set.

I'm sorry Neo, but you are clinically delusional.
neologist wrote:

Oh, did I say set? Frank ly, it could be any of us taking too ros y a view of our undoubtable intellects. Don't spendius your $ before its earned. You may come down with the blue s. Right, Jack?

Of course, I am the neoly apointed exception

And you're starting to ramble incoherently.

This is getting sad.
neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 07:41 pm
@rosborne979,
You didn't notice I was hiking the Pemigewasset Loop.
I thought you knew your state better than that.
But you are certain.
neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 07:48 pm
@neologist,
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yfu7Yfqb1Mo/THVHBGjxagI/AAAAAAAAALA/JqshlS87TYQ/s640/Pemigewasset%2520Loop%25202008-08-17.jpg
http://ironmanforcancer.blogspot.com/2010/08/pemi-loop.html
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:03 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It just won't do old boy. Your every post is making you look stupider and stupider and wimpier and wimpier.

Get thee to Twitter. That is designed for people like you. Able 2 Know and Ask An Expert obviously drew you in here for the wrong reason.

You have the two of hearts, the four of clubs, the six and seven of diamonds and the nine of hearts in your hand and you demand the pot without displaying your cards.

Get thee to Twitter. That caters for thick cunts like you I gather.

That I can't be expected to understand your explanation of the difference between believing and knowing and that I'm pretentious and raving is not sufficient grounds for your failure to provide any explanations.

Take us from the caves to Einstein without the intermediate step of chariots carrying the heavenly bodies.

Just do it and cut out the flim-flam. If you can't "man up" and admit it.

We can do diving off cliffs onto solid rocks 200 ft below with thongs of twisted vines round our ankles 199 ft long, to impress ladies, to 18 hole golf courses where flags are used to denote the exact position of the hole, later.

Much later by the look of it.

That I am a pretentious half wit with nothing of value to say is not really evidence of anything. Least of all your non-explanations having validity.

I'm only here due to a misunderstanding in a revolving door in a posh hotel in Blackpool caused by a penalty that hit the post.

If you stopped being so goddam pretentious, perhaps you would be able to say something of value. You certainly are smart enough to do so. So why not do it?
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
It is self-evidently of extreme value to say that the Bible is the terminal from which the train of modern science began its journey.

Such a statement welcomes being refuted but claiming that the statement has no value or is pretentious has zero value in that regard. And neither does any other bullshit of a similar nature.

Without the Bible there is no USA. What's the value of that?

Refute the statement. Sarcasm and snarling on behalf of your trouser zipper is neither here nor there.