The Bible (a discussion)

neologist

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
I enjoy reading your posts as well, edgar. But I did think we would have some meat to gnaw on. Perhaps something will fall off your plate when you least expect
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Yup. Ultimately they all go back to the mythology of the Babylonians with a smattering of Egyptian seasoning thrown in (particularly as regards the concept of only One God).
Babylonian influence on the major world's religions is widespread. But it is an influence of falsehood from the time of Nimrod.
neologist

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:47 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Notice how there was no answer to the question of why should people who have paid high prices for their land subsidize people who have got it cheap on account of it being unsuitable for building on.

Being in begging bowl mode due to losing a bet with the weather is hardly something to get mystical about.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. If it is the policy of using government money to rebuild homes in disaster areas, I agree it is folly from my point of view. But my point of view is hardly sufficient for policy.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:50 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Yup. Ultimately they all go back to the mythology of the Babylonians with a smattering of Egyptian seasoning thrown in (particularly as regards the concept of only One God).
Babylonian influence on the major world's religions is widespread. But it is an influence of falsehood from the time of Nimrod.

Then the Bible, particularly the Old Testament, contains a whole slew of falsehoods.
neologist

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:56 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
For one thing, issues raised in the Garden of Eden have yet to be resolved. For the thousands of years since, God's adversary has been given opportunity to demonstrate his point.
You do understand that none of that really happened, right?
This thread is about the Bible, right? What is your claim? Are you about to instruct me in your ways, oh master?
I wait with bated breath.
Begin.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 08:55 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
This thread is about the Bible, right? What is your claim? Are you about to instruct me in your ways, oh master?
Begin.

At least I'm engaged in an honest discussion where reasoning and logic have some meaning and where questions get answered. All you're doing is avoiding the pointed questions and waiting for a chance to preach more of your nonsense.
neologist

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 10:29 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Begin.
At least I'm engaged in an honest discussion where reasoning and logic have some meaning and where questions get answered. All you're doing is avoiding the pointed questions and waiting for a chance to preach more of your nonsense.
I'm sorry.
Was there a pointed question I missed?
I don't see 'pointed' as a synonym for condescending.
neologist

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 10:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Then the Bible, particularly the Old Testament, contains a whole slew of falsehoods.
Tell me which teaching, originating in Babylon, became part of the Hebrew belief?
Or Christianity?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 04:27 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Holy moley...you are from the Land of Great Minds. I knew I liked ya in spite of our differences.

But he is defending a whole order you are intent upon overthrowing. How can you like the guy? If it's because he's from NJ then you have to like all of them from there. For better or for worse.

Shabby humbug. Ingratiating. Patronising.

Is everybody in N. Carolina supposed to like Edward Snowden?

We've got you as wound up as a spring in a cuckoo clock that has had the wing nut turned one last turn with a hammer after the fingers could do no more.

How can you like the guy?

In part ‘cause he is not a smug, sanctimonious, holier-than-thou, officious, arrogant, supercilious prig like some people here…and that just appeals to me.

Thanks for asking.

By the way, I doubt you could wind up an old pocket watch without help from the bartender.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 04:41 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
At least I'm engaged in an honest discussion where reasoning and logic have some meaning and where questions get answered.

ros has not answered one of my questions in many years. He has me on Ignore. Which requires him to define reason and logic for his own convenience and to imagine that emotions are a fantasy.

Watch this--hey ros--where in the Bible is the evolution theory presented in 30 words? I can answer it.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 04:49 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I see. So you chose to avoid this question...
rosborne979 wrote:

neologist wrote:
According to o Paul at 2 Timothy 3:16 ". . . All Scripture is inspired of God . . ."

And you find that convincing?

... because you found it condescending, and instead you chose to respond by doubling down on your previous attempt to use the bible to support its own validity and to do a bit more preaching. Nice.

It's clear that you do find "... All scripture is inspired of God" to be convincing. It's obvious that I disagree with you, but if you had simply answered the question I would have asked "why" and tried to understand your perspective. Instead you chose to sieze the moment to spew more of "The Grand Delusion" out for everyone to see. The pattern is clear, you're wasting everyone's time here with any pretense of a "discussion" because you're not thinking about anything, you're just preaching and using feigned interest as a way to hook your audience. You might as well be selling Snake Oil off the back of a buggy.
Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 05:56 am
Roswell has described you to a "T"--you don't want a discussion, you want an audience to lecture based on your idiosyncratic exegesis. You don't want to learn, you just want to accumulate disciples.
timur

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 06:24 am
Not only that, but his stuff being taken from:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5052/dx5q.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 07:37 am
neologist asks:
Quote:
Tell me which teaching, originating in Babylon, became part of the Hebrew belief?
Or Christianity?

Well, the flood myth, for one.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 07:42 am
The influence of pre-existing Hammurabic law on Mosaic law, for another.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 09:38 am
And Hammurabi receioved the laws from god --Shamash, to be precise. The gods had chosen him to bring the laws to the people. He got there first, before Moses.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 09:39 am
And Hammurabi receioved the laws from god too--Shamash, to be precise. The gods had chosen him to bring the laws to the people. He got there first, before Moses.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 09:40 am
@rosborne979,
First of all, I should apologize for suggesting you are arrogant. For one thing, it is a reflection of my own arrogance. Nevertheless, i think it important that we fight fair.
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
I see. So you chose to avoid this question...
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
According to o Paul at 2 Timothy 3:16 ". . . All Scripture is inspired of God . . ."
And you find that convincing?
... because you found it condescending, and instead you chose to respond by doubling down on your previous attempt to use the bible to support its own validity and to do a bit more preaching. Nice.
To be honest, I gave a rather lengthy answer to your above referenced question in this post: http://able2know.org/topic/216546-10#post-5376881
rosborne979 wrote:
It's clear that you do find "... All scripture is inspired of God" to be convincing. It's obvious that I disagree with you, but if you had simply answered the question I would have asked "why" and tried to understand your perspective. Instead you chose to sieze the moment to spew more of "The Grand Delusion" out for everyone to see. The pattern is clear, you're wasting everyone's time here with any pretense of a "discussion" because you're not thinking about anything, you're just preaching and using feigned interest as a way to hook your audience. You might as well be selling Snake Oil off the back of a buggy.
What I objected to was this reply offered by you and which I deemed supercilious:
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
For one thing, issues raised in the Garden of Eden have yet to be resolved. For the thousands of years since, God's adversary has been given opportunity to demonstrate his point.
You do understand that none of that really happened, right?
I find it more than a little bit interesting that you referenced your earlier question.
neologist

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 09:43 am
@Setanta,
I have yet to accumulate disciples, so perhaps there is another reason. However, I do ask you to review the entire conversation between Ros and me. It appears he has forgotten something.
neologist

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 09:44 am
@timur,
Well that advances the discussion. I'm sure you are quite familiar with the contents of said catalogue.