Mexican Kid Gets Grief For Singing Star Spangled Banner

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 06:05 pm
@chai2,
Mexicans are descended from Native Americans. The current border between US and Mexico had no meaning to the Native Americans who had been living in North America for thousands of years when it was established a mere 160 years ago.
chai2

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 06:08 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Mexicans are descended from Native Americans. The current border between US and Mexico had no meaning to the Native Americans who had been living in North America for thousands of years when it was established a mere 160 years ago.

interesting....exactly the point I was making.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 03:32 am
@maxdancona,
That is only partly true, and is, as is the case with half-truths, misleading. Mexicans are also descended from Spaniards. The border was important enough for them to go to war, which was a convenient excuse for the United States to "steal" huge swathes of their territory. These things are never as simple as people like to make them out to be.
Foofie

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 10:49 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

oh, you mean follow the culture of the whites who took mexico away from them.
I see.

Only because the culture of those whites is today the culture that has a demographic that is more educated, and contributing to the strength of the U.S. The immigrant population, that we are referencing, is still developing, and as it stands, has a large underclass. That's like asking a Jew of German heritage to adopt the Polish Jewish culture. Perhaps, a step down in some people's estimation.
Foofie

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 11:04 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Are you making an argument to think that many Mexicans have a lessened regard for the laws of the U.S.?

Actually, they do respect our borders, since when they come to the U.S., they do know to spend U.S. dollars, and not Mexican pesos. However, why they do not respect the border is, in my opinion, based on the failure of Mejico to have an economy to support adequately their population. So, the dirty little secret might be that the illegal immigrants are really admiring the U.S. economy with such relish that they are willing to risk their lives to become part of it.

The problem comes, again in my opinion, they want their cake and eat it too, so to speak. Meaning they want to assimilate up to the point they choose. Funny, my grandparents knew that the only residue of their earlier existence, before coming to America, was their religion (as they learned in becoming a citizen was their Constitutional right to keep). So, English was learned, children were told to do their homework, and many families, not just mine, added to the strength of the U.S. Ethnic pride was of minor importance. Being productive and functioning in the society was of major importance, as it was for so many immigrants of the late nineteenth century (and after). But we are discussing the wastefulness (my opinion) of assimilating with one foot emotionally still in the "old country."
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 02:53 pm
@Setanta,
Indeed, and Spainiards "stole" the land from Indians.

In addition, Indians may not have had border crossings and neat lines on maps but tribes had recognized territories and were not always friendly to those that entered them. The notion that they were free spirits without any sense of possession of the sacred land is something of a fairy tale.

Territoriality as a response to competition for limited resources is widespread throughout the animal kingdom.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:32 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Funny, my grandparents knew that the only residue of their earlier existence, before coming to America, was their religion (as they learned in becoming a citizen was their Constitutional right to keep). So, English was learned, children were told to do their homework, and many families, not just mine, added to the strength of the U.S. Ethnic pride was of minor importance. Being productive and functioning in the society was of major importance, as it was for so many immigrants of the late nineteenth century (and after). But we are discussing the wastefulness (my opinion) of assimilating with one foot emotionally still in the "old country."

Funny thing, Foofie. In spite of your grandparents efforts people (who thought just like you think) still hated them. Bigots hated your grandparents the same way you hate current immigrants. In fact, people spoke about your grandparents the same way you speak about today's immigrants (from questioning their ability to assimilate to attacking their race as unable to learn).

Every attack you are making against Latino immigrants was made about your grandparents.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
you are not suggesting the Indians were animals?

cause that's what it sounds like...
roger

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:45 pm
@Foofie,

Foofie wrote:

However, why they do not respect the border is, in my opinion, based on the failure of Mejico to have an economy to support adequately their population. So, the dirty little secret might be that the illegal immigrants are really admiring the U.S. economy with such relish that they are willing to risk their lives to become part of it.

From some forgotten source, I recall that Mexico has become the 9th largest exporter of automobiles in the world. I think that the relative economies as a motivator will soon cease to exixt.

I do agree that immigration from Mexico is largely based on the economy at present. When I was working, Mexican's (not other Latinos) seemed more than willing to return - if they could support themselves and their families.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 02:55 pm
@Rockhead,
Well yes I am Rocky.

Obviously they were and are animals jut as you and I are.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 03:24 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
A typical Finny non-sequitur. I didn't say that Spaniards had stolen the land from the aboriginal inhabitants, and such an idea formed no part of my response.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:25 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Only because the culture of those whites is today the culture that has a demographic that is more educated, and contributing to the strength of the U.S.

And backing the US in all its war crimes and terrorism, right, Foofie?

How come you don't seem to be taking part in the Rosenberg thread? There sure were a lot of honest Jews who saw the potential evil in the US being the sole holder of nuclear weapons.

Have you ever heard the Russians threaten other countries with nuclear weapons? I haven't. Yet you hear it all the time from Americans - "turn this or that country into a glass parking lot".

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:32 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
while singing an American patriotic song.

American patriotic song - what bullshit!

"Jose, can you see, ... "
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 01:07 pm
@maxdancona,
You sometimes [don't be perturbed by 'sometimes'] show these exceptional flashes of brilliance, Max.

Good stuff!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:58 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I love arugula, or as lordyaswas would call it...rocket.

rocket...why rocket?
0 Replies