Mexican Kid Gets Grief For Singing Star Spangled Banner

Foofie

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 06:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

...Conservatives, as a movement, pander to racists. That doesn't mean that every conservative is a racist.

Whoa. Talk about pandering. Liberals, in my opinion, might pander to many an under educated, alienated demographic that may only have a popular conception of how this country works, economically, politically, or sociologically.

Again, in my opinion, liberals may be subscribing to the falsehood that a silk purse CAN be made out of a sows ear, so to speak. A sows ear just being inappropriate for being a silk purse. Not that there's anything wrong with a sow's ear; it's just not a silk purse; never was, and never can be.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 06:39 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Liberals, in my opinion, might pander to many an under educated, alienated demographic that may only have a popular conception of how this country works, economically, politically, or sociologically.

What "demographic" are you talking about.

From the description you give, it could be Hispanics, women, African-Americans or Jews. Or, do you mean all of the above.

Please clarify.

Maybe you mean liberals will take all of these "demographics" and leave the racists to the conservatives... on the other hand, that pretty describes what is already actually happening.
chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 06:43 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

America.
Full of sad, white, stupid, ignorant, assholes.

All protected by the Goddamned First Amendment.

Joe(but still assholes in the morning)Nation

I don't understand why anyone is even giving this stuff the time of day.

It's the equivilent of paying attention to what a 4 year old would be telling you about the stock market.

Some of these comments were undoubtably made by youngsters just fooling around, following the crowd, and suddenly there words are practically headline news. Others are comments made by worthless jerks that spend their days with other worthless jerks.

I don't think it's as much them being protected by the 1st amendment, but those reading and taking this crap seriously, and not considering the probable sourse.

It's us giving them the power.

The way I heard about this was through a facebook posting of a mexican (american) friend of mine. It made him laff his ass off, and I saw that the other mexican friends of his/ours were all laughing too.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 06:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I wasn't saying the mariachi uniform was goofy because it was of Mexican origins or not. I was just saying I consider the style as too flamboyantly silly NO matter where they originated from.

Hey, I guess you've never seen girls getting done up for their quinceaneras, or the wedding dresses that some mexican girls prefer.

It's a very flamboyant culture.

You think this picture below is a wedding? Nope, it's for a 15 year old girls quinceanera...

http://www.elpachuco.com/jpgs/quinceanera.jpg

how about this one?

http://losangelespartybuslimo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Quinceanera_Limo_Services.jpg

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 06:59 pm
There is too much tolerance of those kind of pigs to let it slip.
Foofie

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 07:03 pm
@maxdancona,
It doesn't matter what demographic. It's the pandering to any demographic that wants a bigger/better slice of the proverbial pie, without having earned it.

Liberals, in my opinion, pander the way a kindergarten teacher makes sure that everyone at the end of the semester feels that he/she made a valued contribution to the semester's work, forgetting the disruptive kids all year.
Foofie

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 07:10 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

...It's a very flamboyant culture...

O.K., but you don't mind if those in the mainstream culture find such flamboyance unappealing to the point of avoidance?

In my opinion, assimilation (aka, aculturation) is the one way to function OPTIMALLY in society. Otherwise, one is either choosing to live in a subculture, with its respective enclave, or hoping to one day, through the miracle of fecundity, out birth the original demographic, in my opinion.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 07:24 pm
@Foofie,
Have women earned it (in your opinion)?
How about African-Americans, have they earned it?
What about Jews?

I tend to think that Americans deserve respect, without having to prove to white conservatives that they have "earned" it. Fortunately in a democracy, with the conservatives and their Republican proxies pissing off a greater and greater number of Americans each election, this kind of thing works itself out on its own (even though I wish the process could go a little faster).

Foofie

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 07:37 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Have women earned it (in your opinion)?
How about African-Americans, have they earned it?
What about Jews?

I tend to think that Americans deserve respect, without having to prove to white conservatives that they have "earned" it. Fortunately in a democracy, with the conservatives and their Republican proxies pissing off a greater and greater number of Americans each election, this kind of thing works itself out on its own (even though I wish the process could go a little faster).

Jews, Blacks and women are not my responsibility. If I was looking for respect, I would be disappointed. The masses today often subscribe to the belief that we are all inherently equal in some mystical way, I believe. That's fine, but many would be very upset to find out the truth. Regardless, it is not my job to be concerned about who gets respect and who doesn't.

For starters, you need not have respect for me, nor I you.
Ceili

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 08:01 pm
@InfraBlue,
Well, since the Mariachi's have only been wearing this costume since the thirties, I'd say the custom is older and adopted. The Charros didn't come up with the concept by themselves... ok, maybe the sombrero. Look at the traditional outfit worn by the matador. Obviously, the costumes have been modified through time. My point was, it's fairly ancient suit. Some may consider it goofy while others consider the history and the talent that goes into wearing such a suit. I personally think they're beautiful.
Plus the kid can sing.
chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 08:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There is too much tolerance of those kind of pigs to let it slip.

Pigs?

Buncha 14 year old boys. Like they're somebody.

Not worth my time anymore, I've already given too much. Way too much.
chai2

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 08:20 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Some may consider it goofy while others consider the history and the talent that goes into wearing such a suit. I personally think they're beautiful.

Exactly. I think a lot of the styles worn today are goofy looking, it's just what you are used to seeing I guess.
Like if it was some rapper with his pants hanging to his knees, and an oversize shirt, that would be normal?

Not like people walk around daily in that kind of suit, but depending on where you life, and the setting, it's not like it's weird or anything.

I do think if this kid had been wearing mainstream clothes, no one would have said a tweet. It's all about the freakin' outfit.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 09:06 pm
@chai2,
I haven't seen any proof that only kids did this. I assure you, the people on the spanish language channel I was watching while ago were not laughing.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 09:09 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
The masses today often subscribe to the belief that we are all inherently equal in some mystical way, I believe.

Equality is key part of what it means to be American. It runs throughout our national story and is a part of our nation's founding documents.

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

It has taken us a long time to come as far as we have to towards this goal. Americans have marched, fought and even died for equality. Those who are trying to deny equality to our latest immigrants are running against our highest ideals and the tide of our history.

This Mexican-American child proudly singing the American national anthem powerful illustrates our best ideals. And this is why these conservative commenters are so upset by it.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 09:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't do Twitter. I opened an account, but it seemed so awkward I never got going with it.

You and Iboth, edgar. I have a Twitter account but have nothing to do with the site. The only reason I even remember that I apparently once opened an account (for reasons I no longer recall) is because from time to time I get an e-mail reminding me of something or other. I trash-can them without opening.

It always disturbs me to hear that famous and likeable people "tweet."
Ceili

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 10:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I joined up to follow Col. Cmd. Hadfield. The pictures and tweets were fantastic. He has a huge following because he's likeable.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 10:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh good grief, but your full of yourself max.

Your not going to let conservations...

You really consider yourself a liberal knight in shining armor, don't you?

A handful of jackasses made totally ridiculous and offensive comments and you blame the Tea Party, Republicans and conservative.

You claim to be a champion against bigotry but constantly practice it in your own offensive manner.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 10:32 pm
@Joe Nation,
Had to get "white" in their?

Is their some secret to Twitter hashtags that identify race?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 10:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I see you're out for your evening troll, finny.

nice to see the black knight of conservative bile accepting all challenges tonight...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 07:55 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I haven't seen any proof that only kids did this. I assure you, the people on the spanish language channel I was watching while ago were not laughing.

You're right.

I don't have proof they were 14 year olds....I don't have proof they were 30 year olds or 40 year olds....from their writing I have proof they're not anyone worth paying any attention to.

As far as people not laughing, well, no matter what stupd **** that gets tweeted and thrown up for universal inspection, some people are just gonna get all irate, and other will take it with a grain of salt.

It's some people life mission to be disgruntled.

In today's world, everything's equally important, from Rouhani being elected president in Iran, to what color Beyonce paints her tonails.

We're not very discriminating anymore.

It's just these tweeters 15 minutes of fame, and we're giving them every second with all our hearts.