Mexican Kid Gets Grief For Singing Star Spangled Banner

maxdancona

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 08:03 am
@chai2,
Of course it is not just kids.

Read the comments on redstate.com, or any other conservative political site. These ideas, that Mexican-Americans are part of an invasion to destroy Americans is not just part of random comments. They are part of conservative ideology.

Listen to the comments of conservative public figures like Michelle Bachmann or Peter King. Racism runs through the conservative message.

These comments to this video are a little less filtered than usual. But the public comments of Tea Party figures blasting Dream kids or praising Joe Arpaio are pretty similar.
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 08:27 am
It just never ceases to amaze me, the Ignorance and Sad Hateful people in this country. The little boy who has an amazing voice and was born in this country having to hear and read the idiots who posted hate. Anyone who thinks this way about him needs to take several steps back and look at their own sad pathetic life.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 02:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Where have you seen evidence that the Tea Party, the GOP , or conservatives believe Mexican-Americans are a problem for this country, let alone part of an invasion? Your hysterical.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 05:17 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Oh good grief, but your full of yourself max.

Your not going to let conservations...

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Had to get "white" in their?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Your hysterical.

Your hysterial what? You're having a kind of disgraphia day there, Finny.
Lash

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 09:23 pm
This really surprised me - but it shouldn't have. Such a lovely kid. I guess I just can't get how this kid singing is a negative to anyone.

Anti-Mexican stuff is outrageous in Cali. Tourism commercials have an umlaut over the a in Nevada to ensure no one pronounces it in the characteristic, more-Hispanic-leaning pronunciation. (Not sure that short a symbol is an umlaut...) I've always said Neh voh da. The tourism pronunciation is Neh vah da.

Also, I have been corrected against using traditional Hispanic-sounding pronunciations for schools and streets here. I continue to pronounce "Cabrillo" and cah bri yo. I'm told this is to negate respect for Hispanics' contributions or belonging to the area.

A sweet kid.

Who actually knew the words. Ridiculous.

Foofie

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 04:34 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Anti-Mexican stuff is outrageous in Cali.

There's a history of alienation between the two groups that goes back to WWII.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoot_suit_riots

You do know that the organization called La Raza means "The Race"? And, that is supposed to ingratiate themselves to mainstream America?

If some white Americans might feel that La Reconquista is happening in California, do you blame them?

Notice though that on Spanish tv, the novellas seem to have actresses that are quite blanca, and they get much respect from the mestizas (in the novellas). The Spaniards that ruled that region for centuries were not exactly caring for those of native American heritage, I thought. Interesting that today the English language is considered a mark of being an outsider?

And, to think as a child I owned a Davey Crockett hat. Remember the Alamo anyone?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 05:01 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

This really surprised me - but it shouldn't have. Such a lovely kid. I guess I just can't get how this kid singing is a negative to anyone.

Anti-Mexican stuff is outrageous in Cali. Tourism commercials have an umlaut over the a in Nevada to ensure no one pronounces it in the characteristic, more-Hispanic-leaning pronunciation. (Not sure that short a symbol is an umlaut...) I've always said Neh voh da. The tourism pronunciation is Neh vah da.

Also, I have been corrected against using traditional Hispanic-sounding pronunciations for schools and streets here. I continue to pronounce "Cabrillo" and cah bri yo. I'm told this is to negate respect for Hispanics' contributions or belonging to the area.

A sweet kid.

Who actually knew the words. Ridiculous.

I agree about the kid but I'm plotzed by your view of what is racism in California.

First of all, not Cali, except that new mores probably make it so. I know Cyclo from Texas calls it that too. I haven't checked lately but urban dictionary folk used to make fun of people who say Cali for California. I don't like it, but I also see usage changes. Let's say it shows you as new, even if not apt to use the word 'Frisco'.

I lived in California something like 48 years and a big chunk of the people who were my friends and associates were latinas or latinos. They said Ne- vaah- da.
None were tourists.

It's true I didn't live in east LA, where Ne- voh-da may or may not be more common, but neither did another zillion people. I did used to go see Theatro Campesino back in the day, and so what, just that a Ne vah da person wasn't a tourist.

Of course people migrating from Iowa crucified spanish names. They may also have been and probably were racist. But the two aren't an equation. (Have you yet read Island on the Land? It's by Carey McWilliams.)

I'm of irish heritage. I married, so help me, an irish american. His brother, father of my niece, taught her to call me Augnt. What?

People do use pronunciation for other than racist motives. You're teaching this stuff?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
On Carey McWilliams, I have no idea if I'd agree with him fully by now, but his book was a primary waker up, sort of like Jane Jacobs and Death and Life of American Cities. If you read it, either of those, get an old copy, wrinkled is good.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 06:02 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:

You do know that the organization called La Raza means "The Race"? And, that is supposed to ingratiate themselves to mainstream America?

If some white Americans might feel that La Reconquista is happening in California, do you blame them?

Pure racist idiocy Foofie.

NCLR (National Council of La Raza) is a civil rights organization that is pretty mainstream. They do advocacy for education and housing and they have support of corporate America and are well respected for the work they do. You can see their website at www.nclr.org.

Racists attack NCLR for the same reason they attack other mainstream groups from the NAACP, and ADL.

The conspiracy theory about "La Reconquista" is no different than the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" (which instead of a Hispanic conquest, proposed a Jewish conspiracy of conquest). It is propaganda designed by neo-nazi groups to justify and stir up race based hatred.

It makes me upset that anyone in this community would support this neo-nazi bullshit.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 06:11 pm
Just so no one thinks I am overreacting by claiming that Foofie is spouting neo-nazi propaganda. I am not exaggerrating. By neo-nazi propaganda I literally mean neo-nazi propaganda.

This is from the ADL website (ADL, or Anti-Defamation League, is a Jewish civil rights organization that is similar to, and works along side of the National Council of La Raza). I highlighted the part that was relevant to Foofie's post.

The Anti-Defamation League wrote:

http://archive.adl.org/NR/rdonlyres/ek33mqpazwp6ig3rxdfnlwzrrxsw6englq5vstsvenpxhf3giarmkwk7v4wuot47wnwio2hwr3cail/NEWP.gif

North East White Pride (NEWP), a Massachusetts-based white supremacist group with a membership presence in seven states in the Northeast, has exploited the on-going debate over immigration in the United States by vilifying non-white, particularly Latino, immigrants and citizens in East Haven and New Haven, Connecticut. For years, other neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups have demonized non-white immigrants as a scourge on American society worthy of deportation, and even death. NEWP has distributed literature on this issue in other states and has held anti-immigration rallies in the Northeast.

On March 7, 2009, NEWP members left fliers at homes and Latino-run businesses in East Haven and at a church in New Haven. The church is an especially significant target because its priest, Father James Manship, had recently made public statements alleging or claiming racial profiling by police that targets Latinos in the town of East Haven.

The fliers use demonizing rhetoric to invoke classic anti-Latino, anti-immigrant stereotypes. They reportedly argued that undocumented immigrants carry out "organized crimes such as theft of prescription drugs from pharmacies, black market gun sales, assaults against police officers and witnesses, assassinations, and human trafficking." The fliers also reportedly claimed that unimmunized, undocumented immigrant school children and restaurant workers expose Americans to diseases including "whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio, and hepatitis."

Another flier, titled "Immigration or INVASION?" featured a map of the United States with its Southwestern states highlighted in red and arrows indicating that the red area will expand. This image symbolizes an anti-immigrant conspiracy theory known as the "Reconquista," an alleged plot by Mexicans in the United States to annex the Southwestern part of the country (also referred to as the Aztlan territory) for Mexico and eventually gain control over all of America. This flier also made a number of derogatory accusations that undocumented immigrants bring crime, disease, and drugs into the country and subsequently transform the United States into a "third-world slum."

Source: http://archive.adl.org/main_Extremism/ws_fliers.htm
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 06:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes of course, viva la raza.

I wasn't into it, but sort of got it. A friend's family was divided, one part rad.

Oh, wait, I'm a tourist. Ne vaah dah.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 06:22 pm
@ossobuco,
This stuff really bothers me.

If we want the race based hatred, such as that directed at this kid, to end, then we need to strongly condemn the people who are justifying it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 06:28 pm
@maxdancona,
I haven't read about all this in a long time.

I need to strongly condemn hotheads reacting decades ago to get rid of hatred?
Smooth out questions?

What are you saying, be mellow if you are latino?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 06:33 pm
@maxdancona,
The hatred to that child has nothing at all to do with any efforts of the past to deal with the situation. It has to do with fear of other.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 06:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I think I am saying the opposite of what you are thinking Osso. The hatred directed at that child comes from conservative ideology.

The neo-nazis go spouting off hate-filled invectives about "La Raza" and its "Reconquista" to demonize Hispanics in the US an Mexico. The Tea Party takes this hate and tempers it a little to make it sound a bit more acceptable. And the GOP takes the Tea Party hate and polishes it a bit. You see the same themes running through neo-nazi literature that you see in Tea Party sites and even in speeches from Republican congress members.

We need to condemn the hate-filled rhetoric against the Hispanic community, including the polished version, if we want to stop attacks against Mexican-American kids like this.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 06:54 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't even get rhetoric against the hispanic community, is that some kind of news flash? I don't have patience.

I'll just call it lame.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 08:19 pm
@Setanta,
Really?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 08:24 pm
@maxdancona,
It should bother you and others and we should condemn it, but there is no need to go off on an hysterical tangent about Republicans and conservatives.

Stick to the miscreants and resist the urge to ideologically expand your condemnation.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:11 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Just so no one thinks I am overreacting by claiming that Foofie is spouting neo-nazi propaganda. I am not exaggerrating. By neo-nazi propaganda I literally mean neo-nazi propaganda.

I have no idea what neo-nazis espouse. However, in mainstream publications I have read that some of the Hispanics in California might use the pre-Columbian name of California, to refer to California. You are being close-minded, in my opinion, to not admit that there are Hispanics in California that want to make California a Spanish speaking cultural region within the U.S.

For some reason they are against assimilation into the Anglo culture. Now that is not "nazi," since if you remember history, Jews were not allowed to assimilate in the Third Reich new world order. They had to die. No one is calling for the genocide of any Hispanics. Some people might just prefer they stop claiming that their culture is so precious that they should not aculturate into the dominant culture.

Perhaps, you are not "overreacting" to my post; however, you seem to be accusing me of motives I do not have. I just believe that the best way for the U.S. not to devolve into a balkanized society, in the future, is to agree that there is one American culture. The only diversity is really our religions that is protected by the Constitution. Otherwise, in my opinion, let's all get with the program and understand that the U.S. has one dominant language, and one dominant culture.

Have you ever noticed how some Hispanics are so attracted to la rubias (blondes)? I suspect there might be a little secret admiration for anglos and their genome?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

[The conspiracy theory about "La Reconquista" is no different than the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" (which instead of a Hispanic conquest, proposed a Jewish conspiracy of conquest). It is propaganda designed by neo-nazi groups to justify and stir up race based hatred.

"The Protocols" was a forgery, possibly of Russian origin, during the Czarist times. However, the concerns of many plain anglos citizens, that there is a conspiracy to make California a Spanish speaking region, might reflect the less visible form of conspiracy, as shown in the movie Gentleman's Agreement, whereby with a wink and a nod, all the doctors at the hospital knew not to help the young Jewish intern.

So, one doesn't need neo-nazis to harden attitudes to the alienation felt by some anglos in California.

When people are alienated from the dominant culture and language, there is no need for neo-nazis. California seems to be going through a change, whereby one group seems to be applauding their success, based mostly on fecundity, in my opinion.

The solution would be for anglos to learn Spanish well, but maintain the anglo culture. It makes sense, since Spanish is just another European language, not the original language of Mejico.