Mexican Kid Gets Grief For Singing Star Spangled Banner

Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:29 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Yes of course, viva la raza.

Why would a civil rights organization be called The Race?
Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This stuff really bothers me.

Please lower your brain's thermostat. You might have better health?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:32 pm
@Foofie,
I, like most Americans, like the fact that you can find bagels and lox, and synagogues, along side taco stands and polka bands. America is the land of the free.

There is no excuse for race based hatred such as these attacks against Mexican-American kids singing the national anthem.

"Some anglos" can go to hell.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:35 pm
@Foofie,
I don't understand how you can defend racism based on fear of those in the so-called "anglo" culture. Most of us like the fact that you can find bagels and lox, and synagogues, along side taco stands and polka bands. America is the land of the free.

There is no excuse for race based hatred such as these attacks against Mexican-American kids singing the national anthem.

Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:37 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I, like most Americans, like the fact that you can find bagels and lox, and synagogues, along side taco stands and polka bands. America is the land of the free.

I do not think you are like most Americans, since most Americans are too busy about mundane personal concerns to get all upset about someone else's problems. By the way, can you tell me your ethnicity, so I can develop, in my mind, some generalizations to muse over?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:39 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

"Some anglos" did all the hard work, to make this country fit for my family to arrive in the late nineteenth century, and live a comfortable life. Not being an ingrate, I hope those anglos are somewhere in Heaven, not hell. Perhaps, you need to think about the word "gratitude," in my opinion.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 01:01 pm
@Foofie,
The "anglos" (as you call them) who are spreading the race-based hatred you are repeating, and making these attacks on Mexican-American youth, are not the people who helped your family arrive. There were plenty of Americans who supported the rights and respected the culture. They weren't the ones spreading hatred or provoking fear of other ethnic groups.

The people who are making hateful fear-based attacks on Mexicans are the same people who launched the same attacks against Jews and Asians and Catholics.

The attacks are the same and in most cases the people making them are the same.

The Anti-Defamation league says that the propaganda you are spreading is Neo-Nazi based hate speech. Doesn't that give you any pause? Or, are you OK with that.

Why anyone with immigrant roots would hop into bed with Neo-Nazis to justify race-based hatred toward this kid is beyond me.
mismi

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 01:11 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
America.
Full of sad, white, stupid, ignorant, assholes.

All protected by the Goddamned First Amendment.

Joe(but still assholes in the morning)Nation

You know most countries have plenty of ignorant assholes. Given - some more than others. Americans are just not ones to hold back their feelings given their freedom of speech. Which is a blessing and a curse in some ways...however. I would much rather be able to speak my mind without fear of being put in jail for it. I can ignore the ignorant assholes. Do it all the time.

I was in Albania for a summer one time and was shocked when one of my friends there told me their "black people" were gypsies and were not as cool as our black people. They hated and made fun of them. I thought before that it was just an American thing....racism is rampant everywhere. And these days it seems so much worse because we have all of the media that loves to report it all.

Anyway - the child has a beautiful voice and I loved hearing him sing. I am sorry people can be as mean as they are sometimes.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 01:26 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

The word "race", here, is used with the meaning of "a people united by common history, language cultural traits, etc." which is also used for the commemorative Dia de la raza--better known in the US as Columbus Day--which is observed throughout much of the Latin American world.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 01:27 pm
@InfraBlue,
Thank you for explaining that, as I get apoplectic from time to time and words failed me.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 01:29 pm
@mismi,
And I am sorry I didn't edit my posting...hate posting on these threads without double checking but I had pizza in the oven and had to get it out...

priorities you know...eh...screw punctuation.

chai2

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 07:24 pm
@mismi,
What kind of pizza?
Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 07:30 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The Anti-Defamation league says that the propaganda you are spreading is Neo-Nazi based hate speech. Doesn't that give you any pause? Or, are you OK with that.

Why anyone with immigrant roots would hop into bed with Neo-Nazis to justify race-based hatred toward this kid is beyond me.

I am not spreading any propaganda. I am just stating what I've read regarding how alienation from the mainstream culture will balkanize the U.S.

Everyone other than Native Americans has immigrant roots, so I do not understand your statement above. However, your fallacy is that Neo-Nazis want a white America. That is not what I am saying. I want one culture, and language in America as dominant. Not where ethnic enclaves, based on fecundity eventually make a balkanized America.

You really need to realize that your premise is false regarding the claim that anyone that does not care for the Mexican American culture superseding the American Anglo culture is spreading Neo-Nazi propaganda. That is because Neo-Nazis would take "undesirables" and send them elsewhere. I am just saying that immigrants/ethnics should assimilate, since too many cooks spoil the stew, so to speak.

You still haven't told of your ethnic heritage, so I can muse over any generalizations, considering you are so quick to make references to Jews.

Also, your references to individuals and Neo-Nazis is not an argument that has any merit, since you have not disputed whether America should have one main culture and language that people should aspire to assimilate into. For example, which culture produces more Phds.? Which culture has a bellcurve that has more average and above average scores? Which culture has individuals functioning in more professional positions? I would say that in Mexico there are many professionals; however, it appears by the images I see in the media, California right now has a huge underclass of people where many are wasting their time in ethnic pride, rather than spending the time picking themselves up from their bootstraps, as those that subscribe to the Anglo culture have done in the past (i.e., Jews, Irish, Italians, Polish, Germans, etc., etc.)

Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 07:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Foofie wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

The word "race", here, is used with the meaning of "a people united by common history, language cultural traits, etc." which is also used for the commemorative Dia de la raza--better known in the US as Columbus Day--which is observed throughout much of the Latin American world.

The word "raza," in my opinion, connotes an alienation from los blancos que hablan Ingles.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 07:49 pm
@Foofie,
Oh, well.

Chai -
thin tomato slices over mozzarella with some roasted red onions
Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 07:52 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Oh, well.

Then complete the sentence, "Oh, well, you are correct."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 08:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso - It is so weird that you continue to make an issue of my abbreviation of California. I am quite aware of your opinion is that only newbies use the shortened term - and you are wrong. Period.

You've shared your opinion about this about five times. Please don't waste my time with it again.

It's nice that you and your associates weren't actively trying to minimize belonging of Hispanics. I can tell you that heated arguments are taking place about pronouncing a multitude of street and location names - as well as Nevada - in a way that dials back Mexican/Hispanic heritage - because they should sound "more American."

I don't know what ridiculous idea you have about me "teaching" this - I am hearing and seeing it.
Lash

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 08:35 pm
@mismi,
Absolutely.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 08:44 pm
@Foofie,
It is quite remarkable Foofie. You are someone who claims Jewish heritage but you have a distinctly White supremacist ideology.

I have never seen that before.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 08:46 pm
@Lash,
Not everyone who calls a street the way it was said by people from Iowa in the early nineteen hundreds, continued with more arriving masses, is a bigot.

I'll grant some are, but I do not connect those two things, the non spanish pronunciation as a clue of bigotry, as strongly as you seem to.

I'm aware of prejudice against Mexicans, oh, and Japs, and Chinks, so called.

I see I've bored you about the Cali ****.