Mexican Kid Gets Grief For Singing Star Spangled Banner

mismi

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 07:24 am
@chai2,
Quote:
What kind of pizza?

It was gorgonzola and pears. You put arugula on it when you pull it out. It is so good it gives me chills when I bite into it. Orgasmic.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 07:45 am
@mismi,
Love pears, love gorgonzola, love pizza.

Any chance of a recipe? Or is it just those two ingredients, a pizza base, a bit of seasoning and bob's yer uncle?
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 08:06 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
Love pears, love gorgonzola, love pizza.

Any chance of a recipe? Or is it just those two ingredients, a pizza base, a bit of seasoning and bob's yer uncle?

I had it at The Cheesecake Factory for lunch one time. It was amazing.

Found a recipe that duplicated it pretty well...there are a few ingredients that I swapped out...

Pear Gorgonzola Pizza

Ingredients:

1 (16 ounce) package refrigerated pizza

crust dough

4 ounces sliced provolone cheese

1 Bosc pear, thinly sliced

2 ounces chopped walnuts

2 1/2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese,

crumbled

2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
2. Place pizza crust dough on a medium baking sheet. Layer with Provolone cheese. Top cheese with Bosc pear slices. Sprinkle with walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese.
3. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is lightly browned. Remove from heat. Top with chives and slice to serve
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?recipeID=26897&origin=detail&servings=8&metric=false

This recipe sounds great as it is. But I substituted on mine....used arugula instead of chives....and I had very thinly sliced red onion sprinkled on there when I baked it. Dropped the walnuts. Everything else is the same.

It is amazing. Never buy the frozen kind. The pears and the gorgonzola lose their flavor. It is much better and very easy this way.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 08:24 am
LUVVERLY!

I'll let you know how it goes. Ta very much.
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 08:41 am
@Lordyaswas,
I think you will love it too. You are very welcome. Smile
Lash

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:22 am
@ossobuco,
If people say they are sick of Hispanic pronunciations or this is an English-speaking country - so the Hispanic pronunciations are politically motivated, I'm pretty confident it is purposeful and racist.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:28 am
@Lash,
Well sure, if they say those things.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:39 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It is quite remarkable Foofie. You are someone who claims Jewish heritage but you have a distinctly White supremacist ideology.

I have never seen that before.

You do not understand my position. Being Jewish, my European heritage is nothing I can say reflects any greatness. Jews in Czarist Russia were not exactly loved. Plus, Ashkenazi Jews were once referred to as "Oriental Jews." I might therefore not be "snow white," but "whitish," just like I'm Jewish. The suffix "ish" meaning like, but not quite; like windyish - sort of windy, but not quite windy.

Anyway, I just believe that those that came here first, and did all the "heavy lifting" should get to choose the flavor of society. Otherwise, some might think that as a Jew, I want to "take over." You do not seem to recognize that some might want to take over society? I am quite aware of that epithet, and do not feel comfortable with what might be that behavior in others.

So, you need not call me a White Supremacist. Think of me as a Bellcurve Supremacist, since I know of more highly intelligent Anglos than people from other groups. Not that intelligence is a monopoly of Anglos; however, if they represent a greater percentage of the highly intelligent, I do want to use their culture/language as a role model for my own whitish mindset.

Try to stop the pejorative adhominems. And, you should tell me your ethnicity, since you continually make reference to mine.
Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:49 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

If people say they are sick of Hispanic pronunciations or this is an English-speaking country - so the Hispanic pronunciations are politically motivated, I'm pretty confident it is purposeful and racist.

As an aside, their "macho" attitudes, where great manners are shown to females, but much less, if any, is shown to males, especially in my opinion, an Anglo male, is really not part of the American culture. In my opinion, such a division of where manners are to be shown is only a reflection of social class in American culture. However, it seems that the brand of Hispanic immigrant we often interact with, in the U.S., has this gender distinction a priori.

0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 04:07 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

The solution would be for anglos to learn Spanish well, but maintain the anglo culture. It makes sense, since Spanish is just another European language, not the original language of Mejico.

And English is just another European language, not the original language of North America.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 04:18 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Anyway, I just believe that those that came here first, and did all the "heavy lifting" should get to choose the flavor of society.

Most of those who "came here first" didn't do any heavy lifting. They first used the indigenous people of North America as servants, then quickly caught on to using African-born slaves. This left those "founding fathers" with plenty of time to choose flavors for their society.
fbaezer

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 05:03 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Anyway, I just believe that those that came here first, and did all the "heavy lifting" should get to choose the flavor of society.

Gee, Foofie, I didn't know that the Anglo Ancestors were weightlifters!

Foofie wrote:

You do not seem to recognize that some might want to take over society?

Yes, we doo. We wanna take back California, as a first step, keel as many gringos as we can (but not the cute gringas) and impose our big Macho system.

If you study my avatar, you'll find that it belongs to the teams of Mexico's National University.
And what is the logo of that big University?
"Por mi raza hablarĂ¡ el espiritu" (The Spirit Shall Speak for my Race)
Race, race, race.
But gringos are so dumb they can't see the obvious clues we send in our Reconquista scheme. They even defend the little singing kid who is part of our Plot to weaken them.
The Elders of Sion are nothing compared to us. Nothing.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 09:23 pm
Could you settle for Texas instead? It's much bigger.
0 Replies

RussianMachine

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 11:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
What's the issue? He lives in America and he sang the national song. What's wrong with that? Why does it matter what he wore or where his parents are from?
Foofie

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 11:29 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Most of those who "came here first" didn't do any heavy lifting. They first used the indigenous people of North America as servants, then quickly caught on to using African-born slaves. This left those "founding fathers" with plenty of time to choose flavors for their society.

"Heavy lifting" was a colloquial way to mean those that did all the dying from Yellow Fever, Cholera, hostile natives, clearing forests, etc., etc.

I'm just not in the mood, nor qualified, to advise more "seasoned" American families how to run the country. Perhaps, those with a history of hegemony in Europe could do a better job; my ancestors were of little import in Europe. No real experience of running anything during the Middle Ages, Renaissance or after. I defer to anyone else's heritage of triumphalism.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 11:36 am
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

Yes, we doo. We wanna take back California, as a first step, keel as many gringos as we can (but not the cute gringas) and impose our big Macho system...
...If you study my avatar, you'll find that it belongs to the teams of Mexico's National University.
And what is the logo of that big University?
"Por mi raza hablarĂ¡ el espiritu" (The Spirit Shall Speak for my Race)
Race, race, race.
But gringos are so dumb they can't see the obvious clues we send in our Reconquista scheme. They even defend the little singing kid who is part of our Plot to weaken them.
The Elders of Sion are nothing compared to us. Nothing.

Santa Claus belongs to the Anglos though. Also, all the basketaball players, and football players.

If you like the cute gringas, a future generation of Mejicanos will be quite different. Quizas, sus suenos son solamente suenos? Y, Los Anglos tendran otros Hispanos. Mas amable, como Los Boricuas.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 11:50 am
@RussianMachine,
RussianMachine wrote:

What's the issue? He lives in America and he sang the national song. What's wrong with that? Why does it matter what he wore or where his parents are from?

Nothing "wrong"; however, some might think the attire was inappropriate, since it connotes a foreign culture. So, at best, the song and the attire might be considered incongruous. And, for those that are sensitive to how one effects patriotic songs, the attire was a mockery of what is, by most standards, a non-American mode of dress. By the way, it is not like an Amish American or a Jewish American of Chassidic background sang the song wearing their DAILY dress in simple black clothes; it was a "national costume" that was worn, while singing an American patriotic song.

Sorry, all my early youthful hours watching tv and Davey Crockett just has me feeling closer to the Anglo definition of the American culture, without some revisionist multi-cultural charade, in my opinion.
mismi

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 12:20 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:

Nothing "wrong"; however, some might think the attire was inappropriate, since it connotes a foreign culture. So, at best, the song and the attire might be considered incongruous. And, for those that are sensitive to how one effects patriotic songs, the attire was a mockery of what is, by most standards, a non-American mode of dress. By the way, it is not like an Amish American or a Jewish American of Chassidic background sang the song wearing their DAILY dress in simple black clothes; it was a "national costume" that was worn, while singing an American patriotic song.

It all has to do with how one "sees" things.

American Indians are the original folks who have claim to the word "native". The countries that came to rape and pillage and conquer them formed and settled the land. So you have this wonderful (if you are going to look on the bright side of such a heinous beginning) mix of folks in different parts of the United States. I come from a Scots Irish background that settled in the hills of the Appalachians when they immigrated from Scotland. My great, great, great and maybe another couple of greats grandfather then moved over to Texas. One side of my family descended from him. He was married to a white woman in Tennessee and left her to procreate with an Indian there in Texas. I am from the illegitimate line. Love it.

My husband is of Scottish descent , The McFaydens became McSpadden somewhere along the line and adopted Utile-Dulci as their family motto - which essentially means - we are good neighbors - pretty nice and we can help change a tire...Also wonderful. Someone along the way just happened to marry an Indian who's name had "Hawk" in it. His grandmother added an "e" to it to make it more English. Which I think is hilariously funny.

All of this to say - I love seeing the many nationalities who have chosen the United States as their home. There is a reason they did it. Opportunity, living conditions, whatever - they are here. If they want to wear their native dress while singing The National Anthem - yippee! I don't see it as a slander, or as insulting at all.

Now - there are those who are looking for something to be offended about. There is no pleasing them. I won't even try. I quite frankly know of no way to change them either.

Way too much work to even try.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 05:25 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

I think you will love it too. You are very welcome. Smile

I love arugula, or as lordyaswas would call it...rocket.
chai2

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 05:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Foofie wrote:

and.....Texas, where this kid is from, was taken from Mexico.
So much for choosing the flavor of society by those who did some heavy lifting. Mexico incorporates I think a lot of native american culture, as that is part of their background.

oh, you mean follow the culture of the whites who took mexico away from them.
I see.