What are your pet peeves re English usage?

sarius

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:31 am
"Your welcome" and "you're welcomed".

"Civilization is a youth with a Molotov cocktail in his hand. Culture is the Soviet tank or L.A. cop that guns him down."
-Edward Abbey, "Desert Solitaire", In Civilization.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:44 am
lie -> lye, plain->plane, red -> rat and countless others. I very often make orthographical errors that convert the word I mean into a word I don't mean, but which is nevertheless a valid word that passes the spellchecker. Very annoying.

My favorite grammatical error: Misdeclining verbs to fit the wrong part of the sentence. "I'm the kind of guy who do (not 'does') that kind of thing".
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:22 pm
yes, their and there and they're get mixed up all the time. My new fave grammatical error is
If he would have seen the notice, he wouldn't have gone swimming.
Instead of If he had seen the notice...
I love any error that automatically complicates the sentence - overcompensation!
I like your Bushism, Thomas, mind if I quote it?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:28 pm
I cannot abide changing a noun into a verb....e.g.
I'm parenting or I'm all hockeyed out.....ohferchrissakes!!!!!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:34 pm
Yep but don't you get used to them? I remember hating accessing (acceding would be more appropriate) and parenting and keyboarding and clubbing... but yet we say booking, bottling, canning, shelving... are we just holding onto what was around when we were kids?
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:54 pm
I am from Missouri SCoates, and That is one of my peeves too.

I say Heighth instead of height... I think that may be a regional thing. A couple more I thought of...

People who say lenth instead of length.

Rench as apposed to rince.

Worsh instead of wash.

And song that would say Without you like Withoutchew
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:58 pm
Heighth I have heard in England too, by analogy with breadth and width I suppose - logical but wrong! But rench is interesting - where did that come from? Ill-fitting dentures?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:59 pm
I'm wit you soserene...anyways instead of
anyway!
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:01 pm
Clary...yer right of course, I need to change my
attituding.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:10 pm
.......the expression.... " a bunch of" in any kind of
context......to me its flowers, bananas, grapes or balloons.......
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 04:54 pm
While we're on the subject of peeves, I can't stand when there is a song on the radio with childish rhyming. I mean, you can tell whoever wrote the song was thinking, "Now, what rhymes with 'sing'," rather than taking the time to make the song meaningful. there is a song that is popular where I live right now where the rhyme is something something... "...like an ocean, I can feel it like a notion."
That literally makes me cringe! What absolutely horrible rhyming! I never remember it's coming, so it always catches me off guard... yeck!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:44 pm
shepaints wrote:
Clary...yer right of course, I need to change my
attituding.
Very Happy Very Happy

No, you don't have to. It's fun to have peeves (and where did that rather nasty but actually quite useful little word come from? Back formation from peevish, I suppose. Wonder who invented it. I first heard it only 6 or 7 years ago). Only change if you find it CONFLICTING or PRESSURING you. Just today I read they are TRIALING some new drug...
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:16 pm
In a college english class I once did a paper where I had a line something to the extent of "We are obsessed with progress." And the teacher counted it incorrect, and said the word should be "Progression." Can someone explain that to me, or was she incorrect?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:23 pm
She was wrong. Progression and progress are both perfectly good words, but have different uses/meanings. She must have been barking! The Progresse of the Soule is a respectable John Donne poem written in 1601, and so she can hardly say it's a modern coinage.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:21 am
to be fair, marking scores of papers, when a 'progression' of other jobs beckon, is a tedious task; and, if one doesn't run somewhat on auto pilot, it is hard to make any 'progress'! Laughing
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:22 am
Thanks for the support Clary......here's another.....
"Drive decent" in stead of "Drive decently"
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:31 am
Sorry to say it, but...............American spelling.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:37 am
where?
(not according to my 'Oxford'.)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:11 am
So many guys often overuse "then" instead of "than", and "could of" instead of "could've". Very Happy
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:39 am
What about "get that off of me".....
0 Replies