What are your pet peeves re English usage?

JTT

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 05:07 am
Could be. Smile

No, but cereally, when a word is borrowed from another language, it sometimes [often ??] comes with a different meaning or at least a different nuance. These new words don't bring with them all the rules that used to govern them in the original tongue. That would be ludicrous, wouldn't it, for how are the French or Germans or Thais supposed to know the rules of English or Yoruba or Croatian or Japanese or Igbo?

English has a singular for litotes because Merry Andrew, strictly adhering to the rules of his language not only dropped the 's' but he added the appropriate article, 'a', exactly as one would predict ... for English that is, not Yoruba.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:20 pm
JTT--

Contact the moderators by clicking "Report" on the post you want to be deleted and make your request there.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 08:38 pm
Clary wrote:
Maybe he's just obsolete...

Not only that, Clary, but archaic and redundant as well.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 05:56 am
cereally, jtt?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 07:08 am
Clary wrote:
cereally, jtt?

Ya don't know whimsy when ya see it, Lass?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 08:23 am
Clary wrote:
And have I mentioned before this phenomenon of saying 'If I'd have known, I wouldn't have come' instead of 'If I had known, I wouldn't have come.' It's very prevalent among the Ozzies.

When something is prevalent, it's kind of silly to simply dismiss it out of hand.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
CGEL:

The descriptivist view would be that when most speakers use a form that our grammar says is incorrect, there is at least a prima facie case that it is the grammar that is wrong, not the speakers.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

SCoates wrote:
What's wrong with "If I'd have known"?

Nothing at all, SCoates, absolutely nothing! It's not standard English but, as we've noted before, that doesn't make it incorrect/wrong.

Clary wrote:
The correct form is: 'If I HAD known, I WOULD HAVE (conditional because it is conditional upon my knowing) killed the bastard.' If I would have known (or I'd have known) is a conditional without anything to be conditional upon.
That sounds over-complex but I think it's true.

Not the "correct" form, Clary, A form. You're skating on pretty thin ice when you tell native speakers of a language that what they're saying doesn't mean what they know it means.

1. a. If you would simply check a reliable grammar source, b. you wouldn't make these mistakes.

There's a 'would' conditional for you. A would in a. and another in b. Part a. can be paraphrased as,

"Under the condition that you check a reliable grammar source"

2. If you would have checked a reliable grammar source, you would not have made such an error.

2A. If you had checked a reliable grammar source, you would not have made such an error.

2B. If you'd 'av checked a reliable grammar source, you would not have made such an error.

In 2. we have another that means precisely the same thing as 2A and 2B. The only difference is that the latter two express nuances that the more neutral 2. can't show.

Quote:

Merry Andrew wrote:
What Mc means is that in "If I'd have known" you're getting redundantly tongue-tied. What you're saying is "If I had have known", which is grammatically absurd.

Things people say are not "grammatically absurd". Language changes and the ONLY ones who can effect those changes are the people who use a language.

This is a truism that is so painfully obvious and yet it escapes so many people.

There is no 'tongue tied' here as Andrew suggests; the elision is remarkably smooth.

For a further discussion of the "if S'd 'av ..." see,

http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/deptlang/fulgor/volume1i1/papers/fennell.pdf

Quote:

SCoates wrote:
No, it's "If I would have known." Still I think I understand, but I'll continue to say it.

Actually both are in common use, SCoates and the likelihood of prescriptivists stamping them out are nil or slightly less than nil. The linguist, G Nunberg likened the effects of prescriptivists on language to landscape gardeners trying to stop the geologic plates pushing into one another.

You use it because it has meaning and that meaning has a nuance that isn't covered by "If S had PP ..."

If, "If I could go I would go" is grammatically possible, and it is, what is to stop us from using an "If S would ..."

By the same token, if, "If I could have gone, I would have gone" is grammatically possible, and it is, what is to stop us from a "if S would have ... "

Peevists, take a look at this brief language course. It may help to relieve you of your burdens.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/courses/Spring_2001/ling001/prescriptive.html
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 04:41 pm
I know this is supposed to be for english, but I heard someone using pig latin on tv, and they said, "ustomercays," which almost made me barf. Of course, the correct form is "ustomerscay."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 12:07 am
That sounds a bit like the eggy language.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 11:15 am
The "loose" vs. "lose" thing is really rampant, even among normally well spoken members of A2K.

This is a failure of our education system.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 11:24 am
cj, often our fingers type before our brain gets in gear. Don't think it has much to do with our educational system. A teacher is only a guide, and the student must follow through.

SCoates: igpayatinlay. Dullfubble tallfalk. Now there's the language of politicians. Razz
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 11:33 am
ightray noway, Ettylay.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 11:36 am
Very Happy

Pig Latin and Double Talk.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 11:47 am
Letty wrote:
cj, often our fingers type before our brain gets in gear. Don't think it has much to do with our educational system. A teacher is only a guide, and the student must follow through.

Nope, it is too widespread not to be the case.
0 Replies

sylvie b

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 03:44 pm
hi Smile i am french girl new in london to learn english

what is pet peeve please

sylvie
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 03:48 pm
Welcome to A2K, sylvie. the phrase " pet peeve" is an expression that English speaking people use to define what they find repulsive in how people use the language. It is referred to as an idiom.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
les conneries que les gens disent en toute bonne foi, genre "un espèce"!
0 Replies

SeattleFrettchen

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 02:49 pm
You guys might be able to answer this:
A friend of mine has a pet peeve about what she calls the "overuse of I". It's become an on-going argument, because the rest of us don't think that she's correct, but we can't prove it. I guess the best way to describe what she means is probably in an example.

<My friends and I> went to the store. (correct).
<...> can be replaced with (meaning changes but grammer is still correct):
<I> went to the store.

She insists that you can say:
That was <me> on the bus.
and therefore also...
That was <my friend and me> on the bus.

I think she's wrong. It sounds wrong, but I don't know why. Does anyone know why or am I wrong Smile? (I'd say "that was my friend and I on the bus")
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:03 pm
I would answer that question in your favor and against the useage of your friend. But JTT has me intimidated lately, so I'll let him explain.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:13 pm
Your friend is correct.

That was my friend and me on the bus.

Just take out "my friend and".
0 Replies

sylvie b

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:23 pm
thank you letty thank you francis Smile

you speak very well french!!!

pet is favourite?