What are your pet peeves re English usage?

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 03:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Stony ground here, I'm afraid. The only De Quincey I know was one of the dogs' names in The Lady and the Tramp, as far as I remember.

Or maybe that was De Lacy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 04:19 am
@McTag,
That 's probably who Spendius had in mind.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 06:44 am
@McTag,
If there's anything in that article that points up that you weren't mistaken in your latest prescriptive gaffe then it's incumbent upon you to bring it forward.

If there's anything else of interest, then by all means bring it forward.
spendius

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 07:48 am
@McTag,
Quote:
The only De Quincey I know was one of the dogs' names in The Lady and the Tramp, as far as I remember.

A nice witticism if it was De Quincey.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 11:34 am
@JTT,

You can lead a horse to water....
JTT

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 09:02 pm
@McTag,
You mean horse's ass. Smile
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 10:24 pm
@McTag,
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/30/10-grammar-rules-you-can-forget

Thoroughly enjoyable, particularly this excerpt from the first paragraph, (tut tut and egads the Guardian indeed) , what say you old bean?

Quote:
And none more so than the one that says the particle to and the infinitive form of the verb should not be separated, ... "to boldly go ... ".
McTag

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 07:10 am
@Miss L Toad,

It's very good. Shame I couldn't get anyone else to read it.

If you-know-who read it, he would realise that no-one who promotes that could possibly be guilty of all the things he is fond of accusing me of.

See? Preposition at the end, even.
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 09:19 am
@McTag,
It's a start, McTag, but that article again illustrates that folks like Marsh shouldn't be offering advice on language.

Quote:
To simplify things, here's my easy-to-remember formula:
Restrictive clauses: that (desirable), no comma (essential).
Non-restrictive clauses: which, comma (both essential).

You still have your 'may/can' to live down.
McTag

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:13 am
@JTT,

Any comment of yours must be considered in light of the fact that you are off your chump.
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 08:46 pm
@McTag,
You post nonsense on language of your own or you post articles with nonsense on language in them. You can't defend or even discuss either.
McTag

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 03:42 am
@JTT,

I certainly ignore questions which you dream up, because you are antisocial and off your chump. However well-educated.
Like I told you before, you need commonsense too.
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:07 am
@McTag,
Ive found that English majors in US schools, unless they are able to convert their "Skills" into something usable, are a saad lot. Full of diagrams and advice on the "proper ways of saying this or that". More alcoholics reside in English Departments (IMHO).

Just as likely, Most technical writing is stilted and full of "inside" jargon. Its usually so unentertaining it even puts the intended audience to sleep. Fortunately, technical writing is just a delivery boy bringing you a pizza
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:13 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ive found that English majors in US schools, unless they are able to convert their "Skills" into something usable, are a saad lot. Full of diagrams and advice on the "proper ways of saying this or that". More alcoholics reside in English Departments (IMHO).
disproportionately litigious
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,

Quote:
SPECTACULARLYdisproportionately litigious

You've gotta move on Dave , your days of making two sides out of every declarative statement are well past you.
RELAX

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:31 am
@farmerman,
I 'm enjoying my golden years,
but I remember my experiences.
Litigation was FUN! Somewhat lucrative, too

David
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I thought you got paid even if you lost.
I don't have that luxury, because my fortunes are based upon me being an instrument of production. (That's why I found teaching best suited for losers)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:09 am
@farmerman,
That depends on the deal u make
when the client retains u.

Qua plaintiffs counsel,
it can be a percentage of the recovery
or it can be payment by the hour.
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I count 2 atty's as friends who represented plaintiffs in all the asbestos litigation. Neither of them has had to work for the rest of their lives based on that one batch of cases.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:32 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I count 2 atty's as friends who represented plaintiffs in all the asbestos litigation.
Neither of them has had to work for the rest of their lives based on that one batch of cases.
That does not surprise me.

David