What are your pet peeves re English usage?

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 03:19 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
You haven't learnt much, then?

On the contrary, McTag, I've learned a great deal. I've learned that you will do anything to avoid actually addressing the language issues. I've learned that you have no qualms about resorting to dishonesty to cover the fact that you can't defend your language theories.

I've learned that you will gather all manner of idiot around you, [you've even got OmSig on your side] kibbitz with them about anything and everything except the issue under discussion, even when they have made right fools of themselves on the very issues under discussion.

I've also learned that you will make a big pretense of being the rational, cool , collected one when that's not the case at all.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 03:25 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Just for amusement, I reproduce a JTT post here, addressing another contributor, with some of the text removed for illustrative purposes:

As dishonest as anything you have done to date, McTag. What's next, accuse me of being a pedophile, a rapist?

Quote:
What do you think, bearing in mind he is developing a rant based upon a remark of mine which he has, perhaps wilfully, misunderstood.
The remark was "An alternative? We live and learn.", which was followed by an obvious joke. (no emoticon, though. Some people seem to need those.)

Here goes the "I am the saint who has been shamelessly attacked" routine.

As McTag and I discussed in a post prior to this one of his, and he has failed to mention, he and I had a discussion on the same thing, the spelling of 'miniscule/minuscule' months ago or even a year or so ago. That makes his claims that his remarks were completely innocent ones a sham.

I shan't say what else this means.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 03:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI, Thomas asked you,

"And why do you sneer at people, however colorful and flawed, who expose its abuses?"

and you never replied.

You illustrate your honesty, in a bold and manly fashion in the Snowdon[sic] thread, then you go right back to being dishonest.

Quote:
and develops something to blindside people we Ignore, so they can't see our posts. Damn good idea.

What is it with this rubber ball phenomenon?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:32 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I will certainly answer any honest, helpful, worthwhile question.

I asked:

Who was prescriptive in our discussion? Who was descriptive?
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:46 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
One of the reasons I no longer interact with JTT is its inability even have a moderate discussion without being introduced to its deranged view on world politics and US and UK"genocide" in particular.

My guess is, Farmer, though I could be wrong, is that you won't receive much sympathy from McTag on this issue.

Did you see this, Farmer? Oops, silly of me - you're an academic. Actually, it caused me to wonder why you seem to avoided that whole thread, considering you're an academic and all.

Quote:
JPB: ci asks what the NSA has done to me personally. They've proven that JTT has been right all along. You can imagine how much that pisses me off.

http://able2know.org/topic/217301-6

Quote:
On the same note though, it is completely condoning ofthe acts of genocide by GErmany and Japan during the pre WWII days..

A bald faced lie, but what can one expect from an academic who won't interact. And how does an academic who doesn't interact know that I "completely condone acts of genocide by Germany and Japan"?

Quote:
I find it sad that I can carry on gut busting arguments with all sorts of nastiness and differences of opinions with , say, gungasnake, and gunga and I don't seem to HATE.

I too, find it sad that a professed academic who says he is willing to view all sides can't "carry on gut busting arguments with all sorts of nastiness and differences of opinions".

Quote:
Im waiting for Robt to initiate the new :ignore" where,if I ignore someone, they cannot see any of my posts. Imagine, JTT will just disappear into the ether.

Precisely what we want to see from every academic, Farmer.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Damn good idea. JTT is a ******* BORE who repeats the same refrain a million different ways.

Well- on the subject of US foreign policy it may well stand repeating as often as it takes to bring about some changes. You being in a bit of a fluster about it is not sufficient evidence to call it a bore. Never mind a BORE.

It is not an issue I am prepared to battle JTT about.

I assume it's the foreign policy issue with you because I don't see you having anything useful to say on the language issue. You won't even admit to the Japanese position on same sex "marriage" because it is not your position despite you being Japanese.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:02 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You won't even admit to the Japanese position on same sex "marriage" because it is not your position despite you being Japanese.

I don't see how that is pertinent, Spendi. I don't feel any need to support the positions of countries from which my ancestors came.

I appreciate your honesty, not for me, on the other things you mentioned. I hope you will address these same concerns to Farmer, or has the academic got you on 'ignore' too?
McTag

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:02 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
Who was prescriptive in our discussion? Who was descriptive?

I don't know. I don't know exactly what you are talking about.

I know I complimented, in jocular terms, a guy for spelling "minuscule" as I spell it.
That's a plus in my book.
Had I known, however, about the arrival of the Spanish Inquisition, I doubt I would have had the temerity to utter such an inflammatory statement.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:08 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I know I complimented, in jocular terms, a guy for spelling "minuscule" as I spell it.
That's a plus in my book.
Had I known, however, about the arrival of the Spanish Inquisition, I doubt I would have had the temerity to utter such an inflammatory statement.

Quote:
As McTag and I discussed in a post prior to this one of his, and he has failed to mention, he and I had a discussion on the same thing, the spelling of 'miniscule/minuscule' months ago or even a year or so ago. ...

Do you remember this?
McTag

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:22 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
Do you remember this?

I do not remember this, although you have referred to it a couple of times recently. I am happy to believe it happened, though.

Although its happening is not disputed by me, I have not changed my view that "minuscule" is the spelling preferred by me, and seeing it in print gladdens me. I'm not liable to change in that respect, and I reserve the right to mention it if the spirit moves me.

Is this correspondence going to end anytime soon? We will get into the national papers I fear, and not for any good reason.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:25 pm
@farmerman,
I'm mixed on the new possible ignore, in that I put some people on ignore for a rest for myself. I've used this explanation before: I think of it as sending some people to the cloak room, a common occurrence at St. Nicholas grammar school of my youth. Spendius with his **** words to provoke. Sort of the modern time out stuff. But.. I tend to bring those people back when I've sufficiently girded my loins towards calm, it was me with the time out.

I've not read JTT much in a long time - as between the language prince roiling and the flaming anti US hatred, I punted years ago. I look once in a while, but that's something like once every three months.

I have said that I think I thought similar to JTT before he or she ever did, his schooling of us on US wrongs actually being boring to me. I know some good matters about the US too, but never mind. It wasn't the takes on our behavior that sent me away, it was seeing JTT spume all over the place all the time, totally out of control in a continuing hate fest.

I guess I'd like the new Ignore to have temporary and full aspects.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:39 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I do not remember this, although you have referred to it a couple of times recently. I am happy to believe it happened, though.

And, with this information now in your possession, you think there might have been a reason for my response. Do you not think that your remarks could easily have been taken as direct and pointed rudeness - "children will laugh and point at you in the street"?

Quote:
Although its happening is not disputed by me, I have not changed my view that "minuscule" is the spelling preferred by me, and seeing it in print gladdens me. I'm not liable to change in that respect, and I reserve the right to mention it if the spirit moves me.

It's certainly fair for you to choose your preferred spelling. People do it all the time. It's part of the beauty of language.

But is it fair to malign others choices when spelling variations abound and you know full well that they do?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, and I wish many would learn to not quote all the time. All you have to do to see what someone said is check the little green/blue letters at the top of a reply.

Talking to you, Farmer. Why do you insist on quoting someone many ignore?
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:48 pm
JTT, a very high percentage of your responses consist of direct and pointed rudeness. usually unprovoked. Don't be surprised if you get it back. If you don't think that's the case, just read thru your responses in your profile.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I guess I'd like the new Ignore to have temporary and full aspects.

Osso, can you explain to me why it seems that it's only Americans that seem to be screaming for this?

Did you see Thomas's question to CI, Osso?

"And why do you sneer at people, however colorful and flawed, who expose its abuses?"

If you need or want more context, you can check it out at,

http://able2know.org/topic/217301-6

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 05:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
JTT, a very high percentage of your responses consist of direct and pointed rudeness. usually unprovoked. Don't be surprised if you get it back.

Typical of your selective thinking, MJ. I don't deny that I can blast with the best of them, but this, coming from you, is outlandish.

Quote:
If you don't think that's the case, just read thru your responses in your profile.

Again, your highly selective use of information to give a distorted view. These have been some contentious days.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 06:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Oh, and I wish many would learn to not quote all the time. All you have to do to see what someone said is check the little green/blue letters at the top of a reply.

Engineer wrote a splendid reply to Finn that you might have missed, Osso. What kind of a person do you think it is that would seek to prevent others from viewing information they may well want to see?

Quote:

Talking to you, Farmer. Why do you insist on quoting someone many ignore?

Farmer quoted me? Where?

The majority decides what others should/will see, Ossobucco. Is that one of the founding father's principles?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 06:12 pm
You seem to ignore your highly selective use of information yourself, JTT. You repeatedly cite dictionaries, but when every dictionary's definition of a word disagrees with you, then youstart claiming that dictionary compilers are prone to mistakes (I'm thinking here of "probably", which you blew big time.) You also refuse to even countenance the fact that "could" functions as the pas tense of "can", though numerous dictionaries and grammarians disagree with you. You have your own little coterie of ESLians whose word you accept slavishly, and you give no credence to the legions who disagree with you. You are estraordinarily selective yourself.
farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 06:29 pm
@ossobuco,
I didn't quote JTT, I was quoting McTag. Ive quit reading anything JTT says.
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 06:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
You seem to ignore your highly selective use of information yourself, JTT.

Well, I'm happy to see you're honest enough to recognize that in you, MJ.

Quote:
You repeatedly cite dictionaries, but when every dictionary's definition of a word disagrees with you, then you start claiming that dictionary compilers are prone to mistakes

Are you suggesting that that is impossible?

Quote:
(I'm thinking here of "probably", which you blew big time.)

Please feel free to discuss it and point out where you believe I am wrong with respect to this issue.

Quote:
You also refuse to even countenance the fact that "could" functions as the past tense of "can", though numerous dictionaries and grammarians disagree with you.

Please feel free to discuss it and point out where you believe I am wrong with respect to this issue.

I must point out that even native speakers agree with me because none of them have provided any examples of that.

Quote:
You have your own little coterie of ESLians whose word you accept slavishly, and you give no credence to the legions who disagree with you. You are estraordinarily[sic] selective yourself.

The folks of The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language aren't ESLians, Jack. The linguists at Language Log are also not ESLians. The authors of The Longman Grammar of Spoken and Written English are not ESLians.

There's a very good reason why folks in the field of ESL write on these issues, which is one of the many things you don't have any understanding about.

When ESLs follow the "rules" you and folks like you prescribe, they produce unnatural English. It only stands to reason that a person witnessing such an event would begin to question those "rules". Doncha think?

0 Replies