What are your pet peeves re English usage?

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:56 pm
One of my peeves at the moment is the habit of some newspaper writers to use a pun (the more awkward and maladroit apparently, the better) in the heading of their articles, or even the newspaper headlines.

Now I like a nice pun myself, when it's witty or maybe thought-provoking.
These are not, they're cringe-making.
I think journalism's going to the dogs. (attrib. Emperor Hadrian, A.D. 214)

Can I think of any good examples at the moment? No I can't.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 12:36 am
I was wondering if a peevery could be the breeding grounds for peeves, as much as a rookery is for animals..
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 11:47 am
Merry Andrew wrote-

Quote:
spendius wrote:
You must be kidding JTT.

Do you mean we could spell television like sausages if we so chose and we would get used to it.

Or knickers like rocketry?

That post shows total and abysmal ignorance of what language is all about.

As it is well known that those whose task it is to pass judgment are fully qualified experts I have no alternative, for want of evidence, than to accept your superior opinion MA.

You silly twottie. Your sentence there has no meaning and that is a strange way to use language. In relation to the word "total" very strange.

It's obvious you are a prescriptivist. Which is, to save you looking it up, a person who brays his subjectivities over anyone within earshot. Inanimate objects sometimes too such as the 2@#$47zip set.

You must think that a word like "pinprick" would have been suitable for a soft, gentle caress if only we had thought to use it for that originally.

And "absolutely" is out of all sense
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 04:08 pm
Jesus, JTT seems bound and determined to let no one forget that he is a twit totally lacking in imagination.

Do you suppose that JTT is so thick as to believe that Noah Webster is responsible for the contents of any dictionary to which someone has tacked the name Webster?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 04:13 pm
McT . . . while i agree with you generally, i would point out that the entertainment trade magazine Variety has always made of point of employing, whenever possible, rhyming headlines, headlines with puns, or alliterative headlines--seems to have become a point of pride with them.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 04:55 pm
Yes. Witty ones or whimsical is okay, quite welcome, but we get horribly crass ones imho.
And if the article is serious in intent, they are not appropriate.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 06:02 pm
That's right Mac. The reassurance of the witty and whimsical is comforting I must admit.

What about the corrosive ones?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 09:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
Jesus, JTT seems bound and determined to let no one forget that he is a twit totally lacking in imagination.

I just don't let my imagination run wild like you do, Set. When you do you come up with these truly cockamamie ideas on language.

Setanta wrote:

Do you suppose that JTT is so thick as to believe that Noah Webster is responsible for the contents of any dictionary to which someone has tacked the name Webster?

That's quite the imagination, Set. Did I really say that?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 10:37 pm
Ima support McT for a sec, against his better judgement...

forged is a very interesting bit of English.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 12:32 am
Morning, all.

Glad somebody agrees with me for once. I'm not made of wood, you know.

Tecumseh.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 07:25 am
McTag wrote:
And if the article is serious in intent, they are not appropriate.

You get this with the broadcast news in particular. I don't know if you have this phenomenon in the land of toad in the hole and spotted dick, but here you will have "local" newscasters who are often guilty of approaching serious news in less than grave manner. So, you would have the network news--national and international--at, say, 7:00 p.m., and that will be preceded by (and sometimes also followed by) the local news. If you are watching a CBS station, the local news is provided by the CBS affiliate, and the national newscast comes for the News division of CBS.

One is reminded of the song "Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley, formerly of the group the Eagles:

There's a bubble-headed bleach-blond
Comes on at Five
She can talk about a plane crash
With a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give me dirty laundry . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 07:43 am
Check out the Laughing Policeman song.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 08:31 am
spendius wrote:
Check out the Laughing Policeman song.

Why?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hI1nPd7hezM
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:24 am
spendius wrote:
You must be kidding JTT.

Do you mean we could spell television like sausages if we so chose and we would get used to it.

Or knickers like rocketry?

Merry Andrew wrote:

It's not what JTT said; what he did say is absolutely true. Writing is simply a code, generally [universally?] agreed upon by the majority of users of a given language. When we speak of 'language' qua language, we are speaking of a convention of oral symbols used for purposes of mutually intelligible communication. Writing is always a code, a system of visual symbols. You could spell television as 2@#$47zip. As long as we all knew that these symbols refer to a specific object which we all recognize, it would be the correct spelling.

spendius wrote:

As it is well known that those whose task it is to pass judgment are fully qualified experts I have no alternative, for want of evidence, than to accept your superior opinion MA.

You silly twottie. Your sentence there has no meaning and that is a strange way to use language. In relation to the word "total" very strange.

It's obvious you are a prescriptivist. Which is, to save you looking it up, a person who brays his subjectivities over anyone within earshot. Inanimate objects sometimes too such as the 2@#$47zip set.

You must think that a word like "pinprick" would have been suitable for a soft, gentle caress if only we had thought to use it for that originally.

And "absolutely" is out of all sense

You're complicating things for yourself, Spendi, making it harder for you to grasp this.

Merry said that the symbols are artificial, not the meanings. A whole new set of symbols could be devised to replace our current alphabet. The sounds of English could and would be matched to these new symbols and after a time we'd all be using the new zedabet or soundabet or memabet with no trouble at all.

When we look at a word on a page it makes a connection to the sounds we hold in our brain for that word. The symbols can be anything as long as the symbols match the sound system of our language. Again, and think about it, children learn and know the sounds long before they ever learn what the visual representation is for those sounds.

What Merry explained was not a prescriptive viewpoint.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:11 am
JTT wrote-

Quote:
You're complicating things for yourself, Spendi, making it harder for you to grasp this.

Not a bit. It is a very complicated subject. Complex as well. Anybody who thinks it's simple is simple.

When you provide something satisfactory regarding "pin-prick" not being chosen to represent a soft, gentle caress I'll take you more seriously.

Symbols in our Indo-European West Germanic language are derived from the emotions and the facial shapes, esp mouth shapes, associated with them. You should read Vico and his students.

Merry Andrew's position was prescriptive. It seems almost all N. American language is prescriptive. It's catching on fast here. It comes naturally. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's a strength. As long as you're quickest on the draw.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 11:29 am
spendius wrote:
JTT wrote-

Quote:

Not a bit. It is a very complicated subject. Complex as well. Anybody who thinks it's simple is simple.

When you provide something satisfactory regarding "pin-prick" not being chosen to represent a soft, gentle caress I'll take you more seriously.

Symbols in our Indo-European West Germanic language are derived from the emotions and the facial shapes, esp mouth shapes, associated with them. You should read Vico and his students.

Merry Andrew's position was prescriptive. It seems almost all N. American language is prescriptive. It's catching on fast here. It comes naturally. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's a strength. As long as you're quickest on the draw.

You've still not got it, though you're right that language is incredibly complex.

You remain fixated on the meaning of 'pin prick' in the same way that your mind has told you that you needed a hyphen between 'pin' and 'prick'.

It's not the meaning, it's the symbols.

It doesn't matter where our symbols came from. It's clear that they could have been different. We already know that the symbols are used differently because every dialect of English gives many of the same symbols different sounds.

Japanese uses our alphabet, Romaji, they call it, to describe words in their language.

But a native speaker of English would butcher those sounds because the symbols they would see would be voiced as English sounds. So the same symbols do have different sounds even, as noted above, within the English language sound system.

Andrew's position was not prescriptive. You misunderstand what prescriptivism is.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 03:04 pm
Not got what??

I'm not fixated on pin-prick and I like the idea of something in between pin and prick. It was merely an example. Try dump.

All I know about Japanese is that it has about three times as many onomatopoeia expressions as English.

When dialects give the same symbols to different sounds it reflects interbreeding between different languages and to an extent, as I mentioned earlier, the landscape.

I never said that the symbols "couldn't" be different. All I meant was that the shapes of them were chosen for a reason. The letter P has a phallic shape. Turn it 90 degrees clockwise and you could see it entering a C which is a container on its side. The B in breasts and buttocks is self explanatory.

Bernard Shaw invented a 42 (I think) letter alphabet and left most of his money for a foundation to develop it. No doubt it is being spent wisely but not on the original purpose.

Simply because the reasons for the choices are lost in the foggy ruins of time does not mean there were no reasons and that they were chosen at random. Efficiency of expression and factors relating to recognition being important but that does not imply the absence of wit.

I'll admit to knowing very little about this incomprehensible subject but I think you know even less and from that position you pronounce with certainty and that is prescriptivism because it is invidious. It implies a superiority which I don't recognise.

It is not invidious to claim the superiority of English because English is being selected in by the human race and thus the superiority is just a fact in the evolutionary sense. It is one of England's assets. And it's under attack.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 05:34 pm
spendius wrote:
Not got what??

[No rancor intended]

From reading the following, I'd say a fair bit, Spendius.

I'm not fixated on pin-prick and I like the idea of something in between pin and prick. It was merely an example. Try dump.

All I know about Japanese is that it has about three times as many onomatopoeia expressions as English.

When dialects give the same symbols to different sounds it reflects interbreeding between different languages and to an extent, as I mentioned earlier, the landscape.

I never said that the symbols "couldn't" be different. All I meant was that the shapes of them were chosen for a reason. The letter P has a phallic shape. Turn it 90 degrees clockwise and you could see it entering a C which is a container on its side. The B in breasts and buttocks is self explanatory.

Out of all the possible words in English that start with a 'B' or a "C' or a 'P', you focus on ones with a sexual meaning. Someone has been pulling one of your appendages.

Bernard Shaw invented a 42 (I think) letter alphabet and left most of his money for a foundation to develop it. No doubt it is being spent wisely but not on the original purpose.

Simply because the reasons for the choices are lost in the foggy ruins of time does not mean there were no reasons and that they were chosen at random. Efficiency of expression and factors relating to recognition being important but that does not imply the absence of wit.

I'll admit to knowing very little about this incomprehensible subject but I think you know even less and from that position you pronounce with certainty and that is prescriptivism because it is invidious. It implies a superiority which I don't recognise.

I have to agree with you. It seems clear that you don't know enough about these issues to add useful comment.

[EDITED: I kinda take what I said, above, back. I think that if you think about these issues you may well be able to provide some useful comment]

But there's nothing wrong with not knowing. It is a complex subject and if you have not been involved then you just haven't been involved.

It is not invidious to claim the superiority of English because English is being selected in by the human race and thus the superiority is just a fact in the evolutionary sense. It is one of England's assets. And it's under attack.

Absolute hogwash, Spendi. I can't even discern whether you are saying English is superior to other languages or that BrE is superior to other dialects of English. Regardless, either idea is hogwash.

Rest assured, BrE will survive, it will be much changed, for that is how it goes for all languages.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 06:07 am
I wasn't saying that English or BrE is superior. I just said that the world is choosing them. Announcements at the Olympics are being made in Chinese and English.

The world is saying it. Not me. I'm merely reporting it.

I think can-can dancing is the superior language. When performed properly I mean.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:02 am
spendius wrote:
It is not invidious to claim the superiority of English because English is being selected by the human race and thus the superiority is just a fact in the evolutionary sense. It is one of England's assets. And it's under attack.

spendius wrote:

I wasn't saying that English or BrE is superior. I just said that the world is choosing them. Announcements at the Olympics are being made in Chinese and English.

The world is saying it. Not me. I'm merely reporting it.

The world chooses to use English as the language of business for historical reasons, not because other language groups are somehow recognizing English as some superior method of communication.
0 Replies