What are your pet peeves re English usage?

solipsister

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 07:59 pm
Is JTT set to give birth to nuance?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:19 am
JTT wrote:
McTag wrote:
I really think Webster did you guys a big disservice, all kidding aside.

We've got checks and cheques, checkers and chequers. You haven't.

The distinctions are useful. They mean different things.

While some letters may have disappeared, McTag, the distinctions haven't necessarily. They may have gone, of course if the word was no longer useful.

'get' has but one spelling and some, what is it, ..., 150 different meanings. Lots of words have multiple meanings. Consider how many different meanings the word **** has.

Here's an example where even with the "wrong" choice, most people unconsciously inserted the "right" meaning.

British "UFO" Hacker Faces 70 Years In US Prison For Military Breeches

Yeah, okay, the military really has some weird clothing but isn't 70 years a bit much. Given this 99% of fashion designers should get life. Smile

Point taken. JTT, but I don't think you should dumb down the language and expect to be praised for it.
There was something in the news about that yesterday, coincidentally.
Somebody was saying that since undergraduates' work was so full of mistakes, alternative spellings (!) should be acceptable.
Like twelth for twelfth, for example.

Bleedin' Nora. Or Norah.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/mortarboard/2008/08/does_spelling_matter.html
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 02:26 am
"Forge" is a good one, for different meanings I mean.

Forge links- promote

forge documents- falsify

forge ahead- progress

forge in the fiery furnace- fashion

fashion, there's another.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 02:32 am
When Americans wash up it's their faces, while we wash up our dishes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:16 am
The only context in which i've ever heard an American say "wash up" was in an imperative--"go wash up," which means to wash one's hands, not one's face. I always find it hilarious when the English make apparently authorative statements about the meaning of a word or expression in the American language.

Noah Webster rules.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 01:47 pm
That's all very well Settin'.

You seem to think language is just a flag to wave.

How do you know Webster is not having a deleterious effect on you. Like rust in a girder. Language carries a sort of DNA. They can alter the shape of your face even. And I once heard a screechy American Woman like the one in The Man With Two Brains say "diaper" and I had to run out of the room. I didn't want to show myself up. Like you don't. You know. When spoken it might not actually strangulate the throat but just partially. Make it less easy to swallow.

I have two or three Webster's and I've looked into them from time to time and something's not quite right. "Outta whack" as Dylan has it. Meanings are given, and then not all of them, which have a distinct mark of pedantry. You can tell they have been composed by a bunch of po-faced Presbyterians. There's no wit.

To which you will rightly reply, if you have your wits about you, that wit was not needed to turn a wilderness into a superpower. Wit is effete. Hence a residual anti-intellectualism which doesn't half show.

Under "Slime", for example, my Webster's makes no mention of phlegm or mucus or semen as the Oxford does. It's as if there's some shame attaching to those naturally occuring substances.

And no other meanings which the Oxford does give --" To smear or cover with slime. To make one's way in a slimy fashion. To crawl slimily; to become slimy.

Then it misses out Slime-pit. And that stuff about being morally defiled.

It's like the only slime there is is the underfoot mud and the only thing to do with that is wait until it dries and pave it over.

That alters your sense of humour. Oliver Hardy tried to restore it but it was a losing battle.

I'm not saying which is superior. I think both languages are evolved out of the landscape. But your's is a graft and resistance to the Mother Tongue draws you deeper into that landscape. Your position demands that you campaign to reduce the number of English teachers from New England. (I think it was N.E.) Up East. They are a bit like those eccentric Americans who keep cricket's flag flying.

You only have to compare place names.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 02:48 pm
I'll tell you what. It's a bit complicated, my feelings about this, but maybe a simple example will serve.

We have socks, one sock, one pair of socks.

When an American writes "sox" when the meaning is socks (and not some oxide of sulphur not sulfur), I don't feel superior, I feel kind of sad.
It's like someone had taken a chisel to Michaelangelo's "David" and cut off a piece. It's a kind of sacrilege, to me.

So I don't hold Mr Webster in the same regard.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 03:32 pm
That's rather clever Mac I must say.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 03:32 pm
spendius wrote:

I have two or three Webster's and I've looked into them from time to time and something's not quite right. "Outta whack" as Dylan has it. Meanings are given, and then not all of them, which have a distinct mark of pedantry. You can tell they have been composed by a bunch of po-faced Presbyterians. There's no wit.

Under "Slime", for example, my Webster's makes no mention of phlegm or mucus or semen as the Oxford does. It's as if there's some shame attaching to those naturally occuring substances.

And no other meanings which the Oxford does give --" To smear or cover with slime. To make one's way in a slimy fashion. To crawl slimily; to become slimy.

Then it misses out Slime-pit. And that stuff about being morally defiled.

It's like the only slime there is is the underfoot mud and the only thing to do with that is wait until it dries and pave it over.

I'm not sure what good it would do to list every natural or unnatural substance that is of this nature, Spendius. The point isn't to encyclopediize the dictionary, it's to get the definition across. The human mind can make the necessary leap to other things slimy.

I'm not sure which M-W you have but from my experience M-W lists the various meanings under different parts of speech headings.

I'm not saying which is superior. I think both languages are evolved out of the landscape. But your's is a graft and resistance to the Mother Tongue draws you deeper into that landscape

And BrE is a multiple graft of many other languages, Spendi. Not to suggest any higher order here, but if I'm not mistaken, AmE has been described as being closer to older forms of English than BrE.

[quote]

Does this spell the end of proper English?

It is, of course, not a new worry, as Professor David Crystal, author of the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language, points out. "American English has been been influencing British English for the last 150 years. With the internet you see a huge amalgam of spellings from all over the place, and the old American v British idea seems to be much less prominent."

Though in some ways, it turns out, the advertisers of this film are actually correct. "Middle English (Chaucer etc) uses the French spelling 'centre'," notes John Simpson, editor of the Oxford English Dictionary. "After that, between the 16th and 18th centuries, we tended to respell it "as pronounced - center."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jun/23/britishidentity.usa

This resistance that you speak of is non-existent. "resistance" only comes up in these discussions about language but no one learns their language from these, or for that matter from the discussions, aka, grammar lessons that they take in school.

[/quote]
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 03:42 pm
McTag wrote:
We have socks, one sock, one pair of socks.

When an American writes "sox" when the meaning is socks (and not some oxide of sulphur not sulfur), I don't feel superior, I feel kind of sad.

This is exactly the kind of tripe i'm talking about. The use of the word "sox" is restricted by tacit consent to references to one of baseball's major league teams who have once had "stocking" in the name. They are the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox. The Cincinnati team have simply become the Cincinnati Reds, dropping any reference to stockings.

If anyone in America uses "sox" when they ought to be using "socks," it's no different from people in England who butcher the language for the purpose of texting, or out of native stupidity.

All remarks of this character are given in a willful contextual void, as though Chavs and others of limited education and intelligence don't exist.

Quote:
So I don't hold Mr Webster in the same regard.

You can be assured that where you bestow your regard is of little moment to Americans, whether or not they are well educated. For the record, the use of "sox" by certain specific sports teams in the United States has absolutely nothing to do with Noah Webster. As i have also often pointed out, you have sufficient regard that i suspect you write magic and music, just as Webster enjoined his countrymen to do when the English were writing musick and magick.

Setanta wrote:
I always find it hilarious when the English make apparently authorative statements about the meaning of a word or expression in the American language.

Noah Webster rules.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 03:58 pm
I said it was a simple example. Shall I think of a more complicated one, or shall we just drop it for now?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 04:28 pm
I don't care if you drop it or not. I'll tell you what though, the next time you or any of the others in Merry Olde start this crap about the failings of the American language, i think i'll just trot out to search for some examples of Chav-speak to post here.

People who live in glass houses, you know . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:18 pm
Settin' Aah-aah wrote-

Quote:
dropping any reference to stockings.

Fancy dropping any reference to stockings when there's sheer nylon black stockings, with even blacker seams, sold in every high street in the nation.

You've got a guilt complex.

When "stockings" were first invented nobody had envisaged what advantages a certain type of lady might turn them to.

Noah Webster rules alright.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:28 pm
Setanta is quite right. Except for its use in the names of two baseball teams, 'sox' is hardly standard AmE spelling. Any schoolboy writing the word like that in a writing assignment would immediately be marked down a grade for frivolous misspelling. And I'd bet the use of 'sox' in text-messaging is just as prevalent in UK adolscent circles as among their US counterparts. A semi-humorous intentional misspelling for simplicity's sake, that's all.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:40 pm
McTag wrote:

Point taken. JTT, but I don't think you should dumb down the language and expect to be praised for it.
There was something in the news about that yesterday, coincidentally.
Somebody was saying that since undergraduates' work was so full of mistakes, alternative spellings (!) should be acceptable.
Like twelth for twelfth, for example.

Bleedin' Nora. Or Norah.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/mortarboard/2008/08/does_spelling_matter.html

Good day, Sire. I'm not suggesting that we dumb down the language. I think that good spelling is an admirable thing.

My point is that the written system is a highly artificial part of language. We don't store the meanings for words in our mental grammar like they are in a dictionary. We could pretty much spell words anyway we wanted to and it would make no difference once everyone became accustomed to it.

We know this to be true because there have been many attempts to "make English spelling more sensible". These attempts have come about as a way to make the words more reflective of the actual pronunciation.

And even the worst speller, in fact, even for those who cannot read at all, they all know the pronunciation and the meaning of those words that are within their ken.

These facts illustrate that the symbols on the page are not what's important. We recognize the symbols merely as being a reflection, a code, if you will, and certainly not perfect ones, for words that already have the pronunciation and meaning stored in our mental grammars.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:03 pm
You must be kidding JTT.

Do you mean we could spell television like sausages if we so chose and we would get used to it.

Or knickers like rocketry?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:11 pm
spendius wrote:
You must be kidding JTT.

Do you mean we could spell television like sausages if we so chose and we would get used to it.

That post shows total and abysmal ignorance of what language is all about.

It's not what JTT said; what he did say is absolutely true. Writing is simply a code, generally [universally?] agreed upon by the majority of users of a given language. When we speak of 'language' qua language, we are speaking of a convention of oral symbols used for purposes of mutually intelligible communication. Writing is always a code, a system of visual symbols. You could spell television as 2@#$47zip. As long as we all knew that these symbols refer to a specific object which we all recognize, it would be the correct spelling.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:15 pm
Setanta wrote:

This is exactly the kind of tripe i'm talking about. The use of the word "sox" is restricted by tacit consent to references to one of baseball's major league teams who have once had "stocking" in the name. They are the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox. The Cincinnati team have simply become the Cincinnati Reds, dropping any reference to stockings.

If anyone in America uses "sox" when they ought to be using "socks," it's no different from people in England who butcher the language for the purpose of texting, or out of native stupidity.

What has got your knickers in such a twist, Set, that humid eastern weather?

Mr Webster, sitting in a ruling position, has overruled you, as has Mr AHD. and Ms Cambridge.

Quote:

M-W

Main Entry:
sox

plural of sock

Quote:

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

sox

NOUN: A plural of sock1 (sense 1).

Quote:

Cambridge
sock (CLOTHES)
noun [C] plural socks or US ALSO sox
a piece of clothing made from soft material which covers your bare foot and lower part of the leg:
a pair of socks
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:23 pm
spendius wrote:
You must be kidding JTT.

Merry has more than adequately explained this.

Let me just add, and I hope this might make it clearer to you, Spendi. Some would never get used to it, some would scream about it until their dying day and possibly, even a bit thereafter.

But this is crucial. Language change isn't for the old fossils like you, me, Merry, McTag and Set. It's for, ... see the next paragraph.

New users of the language, ie. children, who were taught to read 'knickers' as 'r-o-c-k-e-t-r-y', would never utter the slightest complaint. Well at least, until they grew up a bit and encountered A2K's pet peeves thread. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:30 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:

It's not what JTT said; what he did say is absolutely true. Writing is simply a code, generally [universally?] agreed upon by the majority of users of a given language. When we speak of 'language' qua language, we are speaking of a convention of oral symbols used for purposes of mutually intelligible communication. Writing is always a code, a system of visual symbols. You could spell television as 2@#$47zip. As long as we all knew that these symbols refer to a specific object which we all recognize, it would be the correct spelling.

Also Merry's right that I wasn't the originator of that thought.

You spelled '2@#47zip' wrong, Merry. It doesn't have a dollar sign in it.
0 Replies