What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:09 pm
I dunno . . . sayin' somebody is a Newfie might be considered slander in some circles . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:46 pm
Interesting that this 'bubba' conversation should be going on at this specific time. This very morning the Boston Herald had a headline about Bill Clinton having made a phone call to Gov. Deval Patrick and identified Clinton (in the headline) only as Bubba. An unflattering photo of the ex-pres. next to the headline left no doubt as to who the story was about.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:19 pm
Well that's all very interesting. Thanks to all contributors. All I ever wanted to know about bubba is there.

A few years ago now, a schoolboy rugby team from the USA visited my son's school as part of a tour and one of their biggest players was billeted with us. He was not slim, and his nickname was "Bubba". Mabe this coloured my thinking. I've got it straight now.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
I dunno . . . sayin' somebody is a Newfie might be considered slander in some circles . . .

And what circles might those be? Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 10:14 am
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may tend to get me in a hell of a lot of trouble . . .
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:14 am
Re: What are
Tomkitten wrote:
Yes, I invented "Blubba" for the pun of it.

Seriously, my understanding of "Bubba" (and I'm in the Northeast, and have lost touch with much of life in the deep South over the years) is something like "Good Ol' Boy"; it doesn't imply the highest level of sensitivity, education or culture. Using it in relation to Bill Clinton is only partly a reference to his geographical background, and although not written so, when applied to him it has mental quotation marks if you see what I mean.

Bubba, to me, means an uneducated male from the South. I was born in Michigan and now live in Massachusetts.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 05:52 pm
Setanta wrote:
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may tend to get me in a hell of a lot of trouble . . .

Laughing Are you familiar with Shawn Majumbder? Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 06:24 pm
Yeah, i've heard him on CBC (psst, his name is Shaun Majumber)--but he's funny because of who he is, not because he's a Newfie. I believe his humor is more dependent upon the character "Raj" than on the fact that he's a Newfie.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 06:45 pm
By the way, i've been listening to Randy's Vinyl Tap--it's a great show tonight, he's been playing other groups' covers of Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive songs.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:21 pm
Thanks for the name correction, Set. I liked him from the very first time I saw him... gentle, self-deprecating humour. It's good to see him go as far as he has. Soon he'll be a Cdn (or CBC) icon, though!

In the first comedic routine I saw him do, he said he was a product of the two most-made-fun-of peoples - newfies and east indians... the way he said it was just cute.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 12:44 am
The witty part of his nature can perhaps be traced to the Bengali father, since the Bengalis are known as the Irish of India - loquacious, poetic, brilliant.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:06 pm
I heard two howlers on the same NPR newscast this morning, both having to do with the tragic shooting at Virginia Tech. First, a nescaster said that "grievance counselors" had been brought in to counsel the survivors. (I think she meant "grief" not "grievance.") Continuing the report, another reporter informed us that the first two victims had been "a woman and a male." Shouldn't that be "a woman and a man" or "a female and a male"? Is this reverse sexism of some sort? Are parallel constructions out these days?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:57 pm
I would easily overlook the second one.

Tonight I heard: "...he had a great future ahead of him"
0 Replies

The Pen is

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:58 pm
What's wrong with that?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:01 pm
The Pen is wrote:
What's wrong with that?

It sounds clunky and awkward (to me at least) and is tautological....isn't it? But you hear it quite a lot.
0 Replies

The Pen is

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:03 pm
Yes, tautology of course but lots of things are. Anyway, I respect your peeve. That's what this thread's all about. I think last time I visited there were some people objecting to peeves which is wrong of them.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:17 pm
McTag wrote:
I would easily overlook the second one.

Tonight I heard: "...he had a great future ahead of him"

'Twould be interesting, indeed, if he had a great future behind him.

It reminds me of the sign I saw last winter, placed next to some trees loaded down with snow. It said: "Warch for tree branches falling from above." Could they possibly fall from below?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 09:55 pm
I'm about hyped out. 24/7 news is too much. I knew it was time to turn off the tv when I saw:

BREAKING NEWS:

Authorities have not yet revealed the identity of the shooter.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 06:16 am
Um...are you on the right thread, Roberta? I.e., the one you intended to post on?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 06:19 am
Yes, I'm on the right thread. How is not knowing something breaking news?
0 Replies