What are your pet peeves re English usage?

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 03:32 pm
I'm spending entirely too much time thinking of why Brits go to hospital and Americans go to the hospital.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 03:40 pm
Because we mostly have a choice of hospital?

Mind you, our lawyers are called to the bar. Cool

But then they take silk.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 03:56 pm
But, our lawyers are just lawyers, not barristers or solictors and they wear neither wigs nor gowns. That's because we don't have a Medieval court tradition.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 03:56 pm
But, our lawyers are just lawyers, not barristers or solictors and they wear neither wigs nor gowns. That's because we don't have a Medieval court tradition.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 04:39 pm
So do you say COMparable or comPARabale?

I say the former

Do you say CONtroversy or conTROversy?

I say the former

Do you say CONtractor or conTRACtor?

I say the former
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 01:24 am
Mame wrote:
So do you say COMparable or comPARabale?

I say the former

Both, I'm afraid

Do you say CONtroversy or conTROversy?

I say the former

latter

Do you say CONtractor or conTRACtor?

I say the former

latter

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 07:45 pm
Yep, it's official - you're from GB Smile

We Cdns seem to be half and half; half UK in our speaking and spelling and half American (oh, there's that word again!)...

But I'm so used to the British shows we get here (yes, we have BBC Canada !!) that I understand conTRACtor, even though it sounds weird (read WRONG!! lol) to me.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 03:04 am
My father, a Classics teacher and stickler about language, always said that CONtroVERsy was 'better' than 'conTROversy'; and that COMparable beat comPARable. I have to admit I've never heard CONtractor, even find it difficult to say. And my particular beef, that conTRIBute beats CONtriBUTE.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 03:42 am
Sounds good to me.

What about anti? Why ann-tie? Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 04:16 am
A bit like quas-EYE for the Americans perhaps
Lots of them say anti like us though Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 04:29 am
McTag wrote:
Sounds good to me.

What about anti? Why ann-tie? Smile

Smile All too many Americans also say Eye-raq and Eye-ran. Grates on my ears but it's become so common it's almost standard now.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 04:42 am
Ooh yes, hate that! Eye-Rack... might as well say Aim-ricker
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:07 pm
What's worse is EYE-talyun. I usually hear that from old Yankees here in NE who think unless you are white, Protestant and of English (Scots and Welsh are acceptable; Irish is not) origins, you are barely worth a nod.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:13 pm
Clary wrote:
My father, a Classics teacher and stickler about language, always said that CONtroVERsy was 'better' than 'conTROversy'; and that COMparable beat comPARable. I have to admit I've never heard CONtractor, even find it difficult to say. And my particular beef, that conTRIBute beats CONtriBUTE.

ooops, I say CONtroversy Smile but also say ant-ee, so guess I'm half okay Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 04:00 am
No, my father would have thought you totally OK!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 07:17 am
I'm still in a snit -- more like a rage, actually -- over hearing and seeing BBC, NPR and the Boston Globe using the word "translator" when they clearly mean "interpreter." Doesn't anyone know the difference any more?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 07:33 am
I'd go a navy (NATO) licence generations ago to interpret up to medium difficult talks and translate up to nearly (sic!) difficult texts.
(Same as for military attachés.)

No one actually bothered about that - I suppose, the didn't want to set up a committee judging about those difficulties in advance :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 07:42 am
The above response reminds me of the day when I made my "exams":

at first, it was in a nearly totally unknown part of the garrison and hard to find - so I just called a car Laughing

And when I entered the waiting room, there were four staff officers (lieutenant commander and higher).
They seemed to be pleased that someone wanted to take care of them ... and ordered me to bring some coffee.
They believed, I was the stewart Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 10:38 am
Walter, you old barsteward...did you bring them the coffee?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 10:44 am
No, of course not.
I was ... I had ... I mean, you get some routine how "to take care" of officers when you'd had a good apprenticeship as popil re teachers :wink:
(I was later told my my commanding officer - who heard that story in some officer's mess - that even without knowing it was me, I had been his first choice.)
0 Replies