What are your pet peeves re English usage?

McTag

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:24 pm
Mame wrote:
Clary wrote:

We also use a long I in privacy Smile And I know you Brits don't, but you're wrong I tell you, WRONG!!

So is your place of easement a pr-IVY? I think it's probably a privvy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:25 pm
George wrote:
I say short-lived with a long "i". Anybody else do that?

No, i don't. And i had it out with a snooty and snotty "language maven" on a radio call-in show on that topic once. I used the short "i" because it is the past participle of to live. We don't say that Abraham Lincoln "l-eye-ved" in the 19th century. I think this is just an affectation of supercilious nattering nabobs of linguistic negativism.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
George wrote:

No, i don't. And i had it out with a snooty and snotty "language maven" on a radio call-in show on that topic once. I used the short "i" because it is the past participle of to live. We don't say that Abraham Lincoln "l-eye-ved" in the 19th century. I think this is just an affectation of supercilious nattering nabobs of linguistic negativism.

Long "i"? I think maybe that pronunciation came from a misunderstanding, from the reasoning that someone who had a short life was short-life-ed
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
I think this is just an affectation of supercilious nattering nabobs of linguistic negativism.
And I'm not sure what to think after that. What was the other phrase you came up with set? the phrase I said I would employ at every opportunity? anyway SNNOLN probably surpasses...well done. Night all late(ish) here.

dear oh dear its only just past half past nine, am I gettin old? ok I hear ya.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:45 pm
McTag wrote:
...Long "i"? I think maybe that pronunciation came from a misunderstanding, from the reasoning that someone who had a short life was short-life-ed

I don't think it's a misunderstanding.
Someone who had a short life was short-lifed.

...and we prefer to be known as an effete corps of impudent linguistic
snobs, I'll have you know, Mr. Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 04:49 pm
Sorry George, i do want to give your your props . . .

Steve, i don't recall now, but i think it referred to incompetence.

I was shamelessly ripping off one of the speech writers in Nixon's White House. They used his first Vice President, Spiro Agnew, as an attack dog, and a fledgling speech writer, one day to become a respected journalist, William Safire, came up with that gem ("nattering nabobs of negativism") for Agnew to use as an attack on a hostile press.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:24 pm
McTag wrote:
Mame wrote:
Clary wrote:

We also use a long I in privacy Smile And I know you Brits don't, but you're wrong I tell you, WRONG!!

Of course it's a privy, McT - but it's a PRI-vate one Smile Unless you pronounce 'private' the way you would a 'privet' hedge???? Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 10:20 am
Setanta wrote:
George wrote:

Quote:

short-lived

USAGE NOTE: The pronunciation [long i] is etymologically correct since the compound is derived from the noun life, rather than from the verb live.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/46/S0364600.html

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 03:49 pm
JTT wrote:
Setanta wrote:
George wrote:

Quote:

short-lived

USAGE NOTE: The pronunciation [long i] is etymologically correct since the compound is derived from the noun life, rather than from the verb live.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/46/S0364600.html

Oh yeah? Sez who? I suppose the compound long-lasting comes from a piece of shoemakers' equipment?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 03:51 pm
Mame wrote:
McTag wrote:
Mame wrote:
Clary wrote:

Of course it's a privy, McT - but it's a PRI-vate one Smile Unless you pronounce 'private' the way you would a 'privet' hedge???? Laughing Laughing

I can see I'm about to lose this argument, so I'll only say that pronunciations are irregular and regional, and Americans are wrong. Smile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 09:40 pm
JTT -- Bartleby's may be quite right in pointing out that the long i pronunciation in long-lived is "etymologically correct." But you're usually among the first to point out that etymology has little to do with common useage and that useage generally trumps etymology by a wide margin.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 09:48 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
JTT -- Bartleby's may be quite right in pointing out that the long i pronunciation in long-lived is "etymologically correct." But you're usually among the first to point out that etymology has little to do with common useage and that useage generally trumps etymology by a wide margin.

And my position hasn't changed one little bit, Merry. I only showed that both were possible. Was there something I wrote in that posting that led you to believe I was discounting the short i pronunciation, the very pronunciation that I've used my entire "longlifed" life? Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 08:03 am
Btw: In America, the word privy, when used to mean a place of easement, places that place out of doors.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/misc/privy/priv_img.jpg

I always thought privy was a slang term derived from privacy, but then I was given information prior to which I was not privy. It was brought to me by the High Sheriff from the Office of the Privy Council and wasn't my face red?

Joe(I also thought for a time that Omar Shariff was a cop)Nation
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 11:13 am
McTag wrote:

I can see I'm about to lose this argument, so I'll only say that pronunciations are irregular and regional, and Americans are wrong. Smile

Careful, there! I know you Europeans like to lump all of us North Americans into one category, that of Americans, but we Canadians are quite particular about this - we are not Americans, we are Canadian! Razz
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 03:57 pm
Mame wrote:
McTag wrote:

Careful, there! I know you Europeans like to lump all of us North Americans into one category, that of Americans, but we Canadians are quite particular about this - we are not Americans, we are Canadian! Razz

Yes of course, silly me, sorry. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:07 pm
Hey, no problem, McT :wink: Everywhere I've been in Europe, people call us Americans, even after we say we're from Canada Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:12 pm
Canadians are Americans, just as Mexicans are Americans--they're just not citizens of the United States.

We in the United States accept and understand that Canadians cannot correctly pronounce schedule, nor correctly spell center--it's one of those things which makes them so cute.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:15 pm
Mame wrote:
Hey, no problem, McT :wink: Everywhere I've been in Europe, people call us Americans, even after we say we're from Canada Smile

Well, yes - we had a couple of Canadian barracks here, and the soldiers were from America as well :wink:
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:23 pm
Setanta wrote:
Canadians are Americans, just as Mexicans are Americans--they're just not citizens of the United States.

We in the United States accept and understand that Canadians cannot correctly pronounce schedule, nor correctly spell center--it's one of those things which makes them so cute.

Well, not to split hairs or anything, but....

You may be right, technically, but I've never heard anyone refer to a Mexican as an American, have you?

Likewise, a Chilean would not be referred to as an American, would he? He'd be more generally referred to as a South American, would he not?

By the same token, we Canadians consider ourselves North Americans, not Americans. Big difference.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 06:14 pm
Mame wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Well, not to split hairs or anything, but....

You may be right, technically, but I've never heard anyone refer to a Mexican as an American, have you?

Likewise, a Chilean would not be referred to as an American, would he? He'd be more generally referred to as a South American, would he not?

By the same token, we Canadians consider ourselves North Americans, not Americans. Big difference.

Not really that big a difference, Mame. While I don't think I've ever heard a North American refer to a Mexican as an American, I do know that some Mexicans get irritated when a US citizen says he's an American. They are likely to reply, "Yoi tambien. Su esto Norte Americano.." (Or close that; my Spanish has grown awfully rusty through disuse.)
0 Replies