What are your pet peeves re English usage?

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:55 pm
Clary wrote:
I've noticed lawyers who use Anglicized Latin will use English pronunciation, Decree Nighsigh for example, and Quasigh, but those of us with a classical education and no job-related Latinisms go for the more Italian sound, quasee. In our generation we had to pronounce Latin v as w, so it was wainie, weedee, weekee. Bit affected really. And then Catholics use an Italian 'ch' for Latin 'c', in exchelsis.

Sorry, I'm rambling; but it's quite interesting, isn't it?

Clary,

The likelihood that anybody anywhere on the planet today is pronouncing Latin as it was spoken back when it was a living language is exceedingly low, approaching zero.

Even those with a classical education are so deeply influenced by their own native language sound system that it's impossible to capture the sound system of another language, especially a dead one. How old were you when you began the study of Latin?

Have you ever noticed how foreigners sound foreign?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:24 pm
Mame wrote:
Here are two that drive me absolutely batty:

She has already went.

Ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring it to her.

I understand where you're coming from, Mame but as much as it may grate on one's ears this "levelling" is a natural process in language. Here's something that may help to explain how language works and evolves. I've only included a small portion of the article. The sections that are pertinent to verbs continue on after the part I've pasted below.

Quote:

A complex pattern of influences keeps the linguistic pot bubbling. Variation is everywhere. Change never stops. Language gatekeepers cannot control an ever-changing world of diversity. It's hard on them, because in the gatekeepers' world, variation means error and change means decline.

What's more, the very notion of a single standard of correctness in language is quite recent. "Correctness" is based solely on a purist's own notion of what is socially or culturally correct: if it's not in, it must be out. A language purist works from a list of exceptions to the rule, ordinary speakers follow a hierarchy of patterns that reveal analogical similarities.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/correct/gatekeeping/

Here's another excellent article, specifically on verbs.

Quote:

The Verb Machine

So what is happening when someone says "I goed to the store" (instead of went), or "I brang you a glass of water"(instead of brought)? People who say these things are not simply making an arbitrary mistake.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/verbmachine/

Mame wrote:
Bring it to her.

These are tricky little verb pairs; take/bring, go/come and for some, they don't get the "rules" because the rules are different for their language sub-group/dialect. What seems illogical to you or me fully satisfies the logical requirements of that particular dialect/subgroup.

In the right context, your example, "Bring it to her" is perfectly correct even by our "high" standards, but again, our high standards may not be the standard in a couple of generations.

There are much worse things to get excited about.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 10:13 pm
Well, of course language is ever evolving... it is now possible to "grow your business", for example. That gives me the heebie-jeebies. Whoever would have thought that we would use "grow" in that manner?

This thread is about what gets to you, not whether it's right, wrong, explicable, or acceptable.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 11:29 pm
Mame wrote:
Well, of course language is ever evolving... it is now possible to "grow your business", for example. That gives me the heebie-jeebies. Whoever would have thought that we would use "grow" in that manner?

This thread is about what gets to you, not whether it's right, wrong, explicable, or acceptable.

I've heard that many a time, Mame and you're right, that's what this thread has been all about. But the only problem with that is it encourages some to think that these peeves are justified, in the sense of being accurate descriptions of language.

All too often they are not and I can tell you from long experience that these peeves/old wives tales take on an aura of accuracy that they definitely don't deserve. This leads to people being taught falsehoods about language. It's particularly devastating for second language learners.

Surely you wouldn't want to have anyone taught falsehoods about anything, would you?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 01:28 am
plainoldme wrote:
McTag -- I read an article on common errors a loooonnnnngggg time ago that said that one of the worst errors was to use a brand name as a name for product that already has a generic name, e.g., kleenex for tissues, Frigidair for refrigerator and Davenport for sofa.

The use of the word pocketbook -- which is a New England thing -- for purse, is a similiar error although there is no brand name pocketbook. I think the use of pocketbook for purse is due to a conflation of pocketbook (notebook; later soft cover book) and needlebook (a folded and stitched piece of fabric with the flannel insert to which needles are attached). I have politely but firmly clung to the word purse.

I don't think of these examples as "errors", simply regional variations: who are we to say, etc.

Certainly, we freely use hoover and biro and rarely think of Hoover and Biro.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 03:00 am
JTT wrote:

Clary,

The likelihood that anybody anywhere on the planet today is pronouncing Latin as it was spoken back when it was a living language is exceedingly low, approaching zero.

Even those with a classical education are so deeply influenced by their own native language sound system that it's impossible to capture the sound system of another language, especially a dead one. How old were you when you began the study of Latin?

JTT,
Does it never occur to you that register is important when addressing people? If you read what you have written and imagine it was addressed to you, would you not feel that it was patronising?

I am a mature person, and have studied Romance Philology in some depth. I don't choose to pontificate on these matters, because that is inappropriate for the spirit of these threads. You are using lecturer register without, seemingly, being aware that your interlocutors are not students.

Your points are blindingly obvious. But I prefer a discussion, a putting out of thoughts, to a guru-chela system, and judging by the animosity which snakes its way through this thread like a black worm, so do other posters here.

However, I wish you good day and a good digestion.

JTT wrote:

Yes. Is this a rhetorical question, and will it lead to a lecture on phonology?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 04:41 pm
JTT wrote:

These are tricky little verb pairs; take/bring, go/come and for some, they don't get the "rules" because the rules are different for their language sub-group/dialect. What seems illogical to you or me fully satisfies the logical requirements of that particular dialect/subgroup.

.... but again, our high standards may not be the standard in a couple of generations.

Well, these are our standards NOW and it bugs me when people don't bother to learn the correct way to speak our language. I'm mainly talking about native English speakers, here, ok?

I don't care what satifies people who speak a particular dialect/subgroup... I thought we were talking about our pet peeves about the usage of the English Language.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:14 pm
McTag -- I know that on your side of the pond, you use the word hoover for vaccuum cleaner and also as a verb for the act of vaccuuming, but, in America, although people do use kleenex in the same way, it is frowned upon.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:16 pm
In Canada, we all say kleenex... I have no idea why anyone would frown upon it - we all know what we mean.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:17 pm
some people just love to frown... do you say hoover in Canada, Mame? And how about sellotape as a generic term for sticky-backed plastic?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:20 pm
No, we say vacuum, as a verb and a noun, and Hoover only if it is a noun.

And we say, OMG, dare I say it? - Scotch? tape Smile

We do say cellophane, though, for that stiffer, non-sticky stuff you wrap a bouquet of flowers in Smile Go figure... what do YOU call that stuff?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:21 pm
plainoldme wrote:
McTag -- I know that on your side of the pond, you use the word hoover for vaccuum cleaner and also as a verb for the act of vaccuuming, but, in America, although people do use kleenex in the same way, it is frowned upon.

Well I don't know why it should be frowned upon. I bet JTT wouldn't frown upon it.

I think we're led into this by advertising...Did you McClean your teeth today? Did you Simoniz your car? Advertising is insidious and seductive.
A guess...do Americans say Hershey Bar when they mean chocolate bar?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:41 pm
One of the seldom discussed topics of the 60s was how bad for us advertising is and how low culture is insidious. Therefore, to use brand names in place of generic names was a sign of being low culture, or, to use the earlier phrase, low brow.

Actually, Americans of a certain age do say "simoniz the car."

The article I originally refered to spoke of the use of brand names as a grammatical error, but, I have a hard time accepting this sort of nomenclature as a grammatical error.

No, Americans do not say Hersey bar for chocolate bar.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 06:23 pm
I've heard "hoover it up" on TV... likely as a joke. For me it's vacuum all the way. Your cellophane and Scotch tape are the same as mine, Mame. Makes me think of the 'Uni-directional bonding strip!' from Toy Story.

Kleenex... definitely.
Biro.. which I don't say but many do. A brand of pen, right?
Bic.... a favorite brand of disposable lighter.
Webster's.... any dictionary.
Coke.... any brown soft drink.
Champagne.... any bubbly.
There's probably a list somewhere on the 'net if I "googled" it.

I suppose that marketers would love to have their brand be used in this way, even Google.

Bring it to me... that's okay. Bring it to her.... agkk! I wonder if that came about when someone was talking to a small child & repeated most of the sentence to simplify it? I'm seeing Grandma ask for her POCKETBOOK and mom, trying to be helpful. Sad, but it surely is another odd yet maddeningly familiar use.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 07:40 pm
Mame wrote:
JTT wrote:

.... but again, our high standards may not be the standard in a couple of generations.

Well, these are our standards NOW and it bugs me when people don't bother to learn the correct way to speak our language. I'm mainly talking about native English speakers, here, ok?

I don't care what satifies people who speak a particular dialect/subgroup... I thought we were talking about our pet peeves about the usage of the English Language.

Nobody "learns" their native language, Mame. If we had to rely on teachers 'teaching' us our language no one would ever be able to communicate.

The rules that actually guide us in our use of language are much much more complex than
these guidelines that cause people to peeve. Did you not read that article on verbs?

Why is it that people so readily accept that BrE or AmE is correct even when it differs from their own? Perplexing, is it not?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 07:44 pm
Piffka wrote:
I've heard "hoover it up" on TV... likely as a joke.

I think that use refers to eating very fast, Piffka. Similar to 'scarf sth down; 'wolf down'/ etc.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 08:42 pm
Clary wrote:

JTT,
Does it never occur to you that register is important when addressing people? If you read what you have written and imagine it was addressed to you, would you not feel that it was patronising?

I am a mature person, and have studied Romance Philology in some depth. I don't choose to pontificate on these matters, because that is inappropriate for the spirit of these threads. You are using lecturer register without, seemingly, being aware that your interlocutors are not students.

Your points are blindingly obvious. But I prefer a discussion, a putting out of thoughts, to a guru-chela system, and judging by the animosity which snakes its way through this thread like a black worm, so do other posters here.

I appreciate it when people express their thoughts clearly, Clary and I expect that people will pointedly address any shortcomings they find in whatever I say. I feel it's more patronizing when people dance around the issues.

Having studied language as much as you have, I would think it blindingly to you obvious that it's high time that the stories about language end.

I'm not suggesting of course, that you were telling a story. I just thought I'd point up that something that I believe strongly. You can't accurately learn the pronunciation of a 'dead language's sound system

JTT wrote:

Clary wrote:
Yes. Is this a rhetorical question, and will it lead to a lecture on phonology?

No, I've expressed my feelings on this particular issue. I hope you have a glorius day yourself, Clary.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:41 pm
Another pet peeve is the use of redundancies which abound...
here are only a few!

- past history, which speaks as well for past history

- two twin girls/boys

- consensus of opinion

- advance warning (and what is a forewarning, pray tell?)

- end result

- 9:00 a.m. in the morning

And I can't abide:

very true - either it's true or it's not; it can't be very true
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 02:32 am
Well that's true. And you missed out "quite unique"! New innovations, I think I mentioned that one before.
Deja vu all over again ? :wink:

And now we're getting into the realms of Yogi Berra, I believe.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 02:39 am
Piffka wrote:
I've heard "hoover it up" on TV... likely as a joke. For me it's vacuum all the way. Your cellophane and Scotch tape are the same as mine, Mame. Makes me think of the 'Uni-directional bonding strip!' from Toy Story.

Kleenex... definitely.
Biro.. which I don't say but many do. A brand of pen, right?
Bic.... a favorite brand of disposable lighter.
Webster's.... any dictionary.
Coke.... any brown soft drink.
Champagne.... any bubbly.
There's probably a list somewhere on the 'net if I "googled" it.

I suppose that marketers would love to have their brand be used in this way, even Google.

Almost all Britons, I would guess, use the verb to hoover when the sense is to vacuum clean. We freely use hoover as a verb as well as a noun (even when it's a Panasonic....but I think Dyson is slowly changing that!)

Also, all of us know what a Stanley knife is; it's a stout craft knife, sometimes with a retractable blade, a "box cutter" I think is its US name.
0 Replies