What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Piffka

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 11:27 am
In Bins??
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 11:40 am
Piffka wrote:
In Bins??

In all sizes from trashcans to dumpsters (US)

Think missing apostrophe.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 11:50 am
Ahhh, haha. Thanks - I'm a dolt. I was reading re-fuse rather than ref-use (which is rarely used in the U.S. of A.). Without the apostrophe it makes less than no sense to me, specially if they are refusing to do it.

I received my very own copy of Eats Shoots and Leaves for Christmas this year. Lovely book. I think you, McTag, were the first to mention it here. You're about a year ahead of me!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:48 pm
... or more.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 03:57 am
There was a skit of that book including the word Shite, anyone know its name, or has read it?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:03 pm
Not I.

(by Shere Hite?)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:05 pm
Should have been but no, it wasn't. She did naughty sex books in the 70s I remember...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:16 pm
I hear the actors on TV and my local news station use the phrase "continue on." That is unnecessary and redundant.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:30 pm
Quite common in the USA I think, and we are following suit.

How about "beat up on"?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:37 pm
which brings us back to 'Meet with' and other US redundancies

Eats, Shites and Leaves by Antal Parody - Crap English and how to Use it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:44 pm
Ooh yeah ha ha well done Clazza how did you find it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eats-Shites-Leaves-Antal-Parody/dp/1843170981
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:01 pm
Gee, it's too bad (for me) when I stumble upon an interesting thread that is already more than 300 pages long.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:04 pm
Just pace yourself, p o m. You can read it in less than a year if you start now, a page a day.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:23 pm
That's true. However, at work, this site is blocked and I can not read it there. Boo!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:24 pm
That's interesting. I just realized the same sound -- boo -- is used as a sign of fright (doubt that it scares anyone) and of disapproval.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 12:42 am
I disagree...
Clary, I beg to differ. "To meet" is to be introduced to someone for the first time. "To meet with" is to have a meeting with someone you know.

Consider: "I met my fiancee last Friday." "I met with my fiancee last Friday."

The first is an example of an extremely short courtship!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:05 am
Re: I disagree...
Wy wrote:
Clary, I beg to differ. "To meet" is to be introduced to someone for the first time. "To meet with" is to have a meeting with someone you know.

This is interesting, but wrong. :wink:

At least, hereabouts it's wrong.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:09 am
Wy wrote:

Merriam-Webster gives some couples of definitions, both for the transitive as well as for the intransive form of to meet / to meet with.

Quote:
transitive verb
1 a : to come by accident into the presence of : fall in with : come upon : FIND <met> b : to come near or in touch with by approach from another direction <the> c : to come into contact or conjunction with : JOIN <there> d : to present a sense impression to : impinge on : CATCH <a> <a>
2 : to collide with : encounter as antagonist or foe : fight, cope, or grapple with : OPPOSE <met>
3 : to join (a person) in conversation, discussion, or social or business intercourse : enter into conference, argument, or personal dealings with
4 : to conform to the wishes or opinions of <expressed>
5 : to discharge or pay fully : SATISFY, SETTLE <could> <did>
6 : to contend successfully with : cope with : MATCH <true> <refiners> <this>
7 : to provide for : FILL, FULFILL <natural> <public> <studied>
8 : to be introduced to or made acquainted with <an>
intransitive verb
1 a : to come together usually from different directions : come face to face <it> b : to hold a session : convene for worship, business, or other purpose : ASSEMBLE, CONGREGATE <the>
2 : to join as contestants, opponents, or enemies <the>
3 : to form a junction or confluence : follow or enter an identical course <at>
4 : to occur or appear together : UNITE <many>
synonyms FACE, ENCOUNTER, CONFRONT: meet, in the basic sense pertinent here, usually implies no more than to come into the presence or company of whether by chance or design <meet> <the> <as> <arrange> CONFRONT and FACE both imply a direct, usually square, meeting in opposition. CONFRONT stresses the unavoidable, face-to-face nature of the meeting <the> <the> <stared> often, when the subject is personal, suggesting such a meeting resolutely entered into out of a determination to face a difficulty or settle a matter <one> <a> <confront> FACE emphasizes more the resoluteness, often courageousness, of the meeting as with something one might reasonably hesitate or dislike to meet <not> <the> <the> <the> <a> synonym see in addition SATISFY
- meet her : to use the rudder to check the swing of a ship's head in a turn
- meet one halfway : to make concessions to : compromise with <the>
- meet up with : to encounter by chance
- meet with 1 : to come upon : FIND 2 : to join in company with 3 : to be subjected to (fortune or vicissitude) : UNDERGO, EXPERIENCE 4 obsolete : to encounter as an enemy : grapple or cope with : OPPOSE

[text coloured by WH]
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:10 am
Chill out
finish up
"luck out"

any more?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:14 am
McTag wrote:
Wy wrote:

This is interesting, but wrong. :wink:

At least, hereabouts it's wrong.

You could say, to "meet" could be a chance meeting.

To "meet with" could be an arranged meeting.

But I think that's stretching it a bit. No, I think American English and the real McCoy will have to differ here (again!)
0 Replies