What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:19 pm
Letty wrote:
and then there are words with double meanings that often get used incorrectly. One would think "cavalier" to denote a singer of songs, but then we find that cavalier treatment, especially to a lady, is anything but that.

Singer of songs?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:22 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
McTag wrote:
Do you mean wrongly?

Ba-da-BING!

Liaise is a stupid word anyhow. It's just another example of making an inappropriate verb out of a perfectly respactable noun -- liaison.

Double ba-da-bing, Merry Andrew. Smile

Making verbs out of nouns is perfectly natural. It is one of the things that makes English English and if we were to englishify, say Japanese, they could increase the number of verbs in their language dramatically.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:23 pm
Just making a point, Walter:

The Spanish Cavalier,
Stood in his retreat,
And on his guitar played a tune, dear.
The music so sweet,
Would oft times repeat,
The blessings of our country, and you, dear.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:30 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
McTag wrote:
Do you mean wrongly?
... wrongly it is.

Both 'wrong' and 'wrongly' are adverb forms.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:29 pm
JTT wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
McTag wrote:
Do you mean wrongly?
... wrongly it is.

Both 'wrong' and 'wrongly' are adverb forms.

Oh bloody hell look out, JTT's back. I must of done summat wrong.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:31 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Letty wrote:
and then there are words with double meanings that often get used incorrectly. One would think "cavalier" to denote a singer of songs, but then we find that cavalier treatment, especially to a lady, is anything but that.

Singer of songs?

Yeah it's a horseman innit? "Chevalier".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:41 pm
No, the Cavalier is the mascot of The University of Virginia, and they don't allow equestrians on the field there.

Another peeve: irregardless
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:41 pm
Right. Or a 'galant' (That's the way, how it's used as a German word, btw.)

In history, it's an adherent of Charles I of England as contrasted with a supporter of parliament (roundhead).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:59 pm
I know, Walter. That's why the cavaliers came to Virginia to start with. Laughing They escaped the wrath of the Lord Protector.

Love Milton, however:

"They also serve who only stand and wait."

another peeve: reborn again.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 04:23 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Right. Or a 'galant' (That's the way, how it's used as a German word, btw.)

Interesting how that meaning has evolved differently in the two languages, because it's mainly used here nowadays in the sense of careless, not serious, slipshod; as in "cavalier attitude"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:24 pm
JTT wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
McTag wrote:
Do you mean wrongly?

Ba-da-BING!

Liaise is a stupid word anyhow. It's just another example of making an inappropriate verb out of a perfectly respactable noun -- liaison.

Making verbs out of nouns is perfectly natural. It is one of the things that makes English English and if we were to englishify, say Japanese, they could increase the number of verbs in their language dramatically.

Y'know, JTT, the very instant that I hit the 'send' button, I knew, absolutely knew that you'd pick up on that. What better way to bring ol' JTT back into the conversation? Smile [As a matter of fact, I'm well aware that one of the ways the English language has grwon over the past few hundred years is by 'verbalizing' nouns. It still grates on my ear, though, and I can't help despising words e.g. access used as verbs. There you are. I can't help it (and I disagree that 'wrong' may be used as an adverb without the -ly suffix).]
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:29 pm
I'm not familiar with the word "grwon", Merry, and I have long considered myself a student of the english language.

Would you be kind enough to offer the meaning of the word, and, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you use it in a sentence?

Gus(trying to act like Joe Nation and always curious about new words)Ratzenhofer
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:45 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I'm not familiar with the word "grwon", Merry, and I have long considered myself a student of the english language.

Would you be kind enough to offer the meaning of the word, and, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you use it in a sentence?

Gus(trying to act like Joe Nation and always curious about new words)Ratzenhofer

Glad to oblige, Gus

grwon (interj.) a corruption of 'aw, go on!'

Example: Aw, grwon, Gus, yer a-pullin' me lge again.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:32 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
JTT wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
McTag wrote:
Do you mean wrongly?

Ba-da-BING!

Y'know, JTT, the very instant that I hit the 'send' button, I knew, absolutely knew that you'd pick up on that. What better way to bring ol' JTT back into the conversation? Smile [As a matter of fact, I'm well aware that one of the ways the English language has grwon over the past few hundred years is by 'verbalizing' nouns. It still grates on my ear, though, and I can't help despising words e.g. access used as verbs. There you are. I can't help it (and I disagree that 'wrong' may be used as an adverb without the -ly suffix).]

I understand the grating on one's nerves, MA. It happens to all of us old fogeys; "Why in tarnation can't they do it right?"

Actually the 'double' on the ba da bing referred to "respactable", but unlike Gus, I'm simply too charitable a soul to point out such egregious errors. Smile

Have a good 'un, MA.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 02:29 am
Americanisms

wanna
gotto
aluminum (there should be a second 'i' in it)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:03 am
Bohne wrote:
Americanisms

wanna
gotto
aluminum (there should be a second 'i' in it)

It's 'gotta', not 'gotto.' If you're gonna speak Yank, get it right, mate.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:44 am
I am not going to, though, so it does not matter to me!

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:08 pm
If you listen to old Motown songs recorded by artists from Maine to Georgia then West as far as Texas, you can hear the same word pronounced different ways such "gotto", "gatta" "gonna" all intended to mean the two actual words "going to". It's the way you would hear it, but not the way you would spell it. Regional accents in the US are so astonishingly different even with everyone speaking American English that sometimes we communicate better thru written words than by spoken words.

My husband was born and raised in North Carolina and I was born in Baltimore Maryland. We've been married close to 30 years and we still have to do the occasional interpretation for each other. There was definitely a little culture shock for each of us as we introduced our families and we were only about 600 miles from each other growing up.
Things that seemed to stay the same were large family dinners and gatherings, but the food served could be worlds apart depending on the family/local custom.

Anyhow, these are simply my own observations. And maybe it's possible that I find it all interesting because of all the different cultures we were exposed to growing up near Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:14 pm
glitterbag wrote:
If you listen to old Motown songs recorded by artists from Maine to Georgia then West as far as Texas, you can hear the same word pronounced different ways such "gotto", "gatta" "gonna" all intended to mean the two actual words "going to". It's the way you would hear it, but not the way you would spell it. Regional accents in the US are so astonishingly different even with everyone speaking American English that sometimes we communicate better thru written words than by spoken words.

My husband was born and raised in North Carolina and I was born in Baltimore Maryland. We've been married close to 30 years and we still have to do the occasional interpretation for each other. There was definitely a little culture shock for each of us as we introduced our families and we were only about 600 miles from each other growing up.
Things that seemed to stay the same were large family dinners and gatherings, but the food served could be worlds apart depending on the family/local custom.

Anyhow, these are simply my own observations. And maybe it's possible that I find it all interesting because of all the different cultures we were exposed to growing up near Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

Hi, Glitter!

A Baltimore accent is in a class by itself (much like a Boston accent). I can identify a Marylander immediately where most Yankees think it's just a Southern accent. There is no such thing as a "Southern" accent. A Tidewater Virginian sounds nothing whatever like a Louisinana Creole. And don't get me started on Texans. But Maryland is quite unique. If you have an ear for the spoken word, you can't miss it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:03 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
glitterbag wrote:

Hi, Glitter!

A Baltimore accent is in a class by itself (much like a Boston accent). I can identify a Marylander immediately where most Yankees think it's just a Southern accent. There is no such thing as a "Southern" accent. A Tidewater Virginian sounds nothing whatever like a Louisiana Creole. And don't get me started on Texans. But Maryland is quite unique. If you have an ear for the spoken word, you can't miss it.

Merry, Baltimore and the surrounding areas have at least 5 different accents, possibly more, I can only think of the 5 in my head right now. It gets confusing to me when someone with an old West Baltimore accent, marries a person with an Eastern Shore accent and then those two accents are mingled. Some areas of Pennsylvania close to the border sound like Marylanders to an extent, or maybe Marylanders sound like folks from South Pennsylvania. And as far as I know, the pronunciation of the name Baltimore, can be either "Balt-ta-more", "Balt-ti-more or Ballmere. We have a park in the city that most people refer to as Drudle Park, it's actually Druid Hill Park. Some will pronounce the word dollar as dolwars, but I don't know why. Also the Days of The Week sometimes suffer the indignity of being spoken as Mundi, Tuesdi, Wensdi, Thursdi, Friday (?) Sundi.

On the Baltimore Parkway just as you cross city line, there is a welcoming sign that says "Welcome to Baltimore", locals not content, continue to tape, ", Hon" next to the welcome and the roads people keep taking them down.
0 Replies