What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 01:35 am
left: soft pedal
middle: muffler pedal
right: damper pedal
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 04:40 am
So the piano is always on LOUD unless you 'soft pedal' the music.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 04:43 am
No completely correct answers received so far.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 04:45 am
McTag wrote:

Hint: when the music (sheet music/ score) calls for Tre Corde or Una Cordi, what is happening?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:27 pm
McTag wrote:

According to Britannica

Quote:
http://i7.tinypic.com/2eeh0mf.jpg

and the The History of Piano Pedals my short reply wasn't soooo bad at all :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 01:07 pm
Well, I don't have a concert grand, nor a baby grand, I have a spinet, but I just went in and played a few chords and found that the right pedal was FORTAY. <smile>
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 03:27 pm
Mygawd! How did a language thread transmogrify into a thread on pedaling one's pianer? Gotta love a2k. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 03:33 pm
I'm afraid that I started it all, Andy, with fort and forte.

How do you pronounce this word?

Caricature: odd word, too. I looked everywhere for it thinking it was spelled differently.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 04:14 am
McTag wrote:
McTag wrote:

Hint: when the music (sheet music/ score) calls for Tre Corde or Una Cordi, what is happening?

Most notes on a piano are made up of 3 strings. The very bass notes are single string but the use of one of the pedals means that 2 strings are damped while the other one is still allowed to vibrate.

The "honkey tonk" sound of pub pianos is usually because not all 3 strings are in tune with each other, giving the strange sound. Of course, this can be artificially replicated by a tuner or on a sythesiser.

Irving Berlin - without searching, the answer doesn't appear to me.

KP
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 04:38 am
kitchenpete wrote:
McTag wrote:
McTag wrote:

Hint: when the music (sheet music/ score) calls for Tre Corde or Una Corda, what is happening?

Most notes on a piano are made up of 3 strings. The very bass notes are single string but the use of one of the pedals means that 2 strings are damped while the other one is still allowed to vibrate.

The "honkey tonk" sound of pub pianos is usually because not all 3 strings are in tune with each other, giving the strange sound. Of course, this can be artificially replicated by a tuner or on a sythesiser.

Irving Berlin - without searching, the answer doesn't appear to me.

KP

Well here's what I was getting at. The mechanism for "soft" in an upright piano is different from that on a grand. On an upright, the rack of hammers is simply moved closer to the strings, so that they have less distance to travel, and so make a quieter sound.
On a concert grand, the whole rack of hammers is moved a small distance to one side, so that an individual hammer will strike only one string (hence Una Corda) instead of all three (Tre Corde)

In the case of Irving Berlin, he apparently could play the piano fluently in only one key. To overcome this, as he sometimes had to transpose a tune, he had a special piano built in which the hammers could be moved a considerable distance sideways. So, for example, he could play in C and the piano would sound in F

Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 05:04 am
McTag wrote:

In the case of Irving Berlin, he apparently could play the piano fluently in only one key. To overcome this, as he sometimes had to transpose a tune, he had a special piano built in which the hammers could be moved a considerable distance sideways. So, for example, he could play in C and the piano would sound in F
bloody hell did he have arm extentions too?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:48 am
Quote:
Caricature: odd word, too. I looked everywhere for it thinking it was spelled differently.

I spelled it as CHARACTER-ture in a term paper once. Made sense to me.

Joe(C-)Nation
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:07 am
Hey, Joe. Thanks for the acknowledgement, and thanks to edgarblythe for helping me spell the word correctly. I have a good friend here, teacher as well, who pronounced it caRACature. I didn't correct her, but I felt rather smug until I started a search and found that I didn't know how to spell it. Doesn't seem to be any special emphasis on any one syllable except maybe the vowel, "a". We all know the meaning, I am quite certain.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:54 am
I remember when my daughter came home from school and in her English book, the teacher had corrected her spelling of cemetery to cemetary???
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:04 am
My word, smorgs, I hope you visited your daughter's teacher. Rolling Eyes

Spelling is quite difficult in the English language; i.e. stationery as opposed to stationary.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:07 am
I go through a lot of C.V.'s and application forms in my job and liaise is frequently spelt wrong...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:48 am
Do you mean wrongly?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:17 am
McTag wrote:
Do you mean wrongly?

Ba-da-BING!

Liaise is a stupid word anyhow. It's just another example of making an inappropriate verb out of a perfectly respactable noun -- liaison.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:42 am
McTag wrote:
Do you mean wrongly?
however Lianaise spells it you are dead right, (as usual McT), wrongly it is.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:09 pm
and then there are words with double meanings that often get used incorrectly. One would think "cavalier" to denote a singer of songs, but then we find that cavalier treatment, especially to a lady, is anything but that.
0 Replies