What are your pet peeves re English usage?

The Pen is

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:50 pm
If you think English radio is ****, try French, Spanish, American and Italian for size.
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 05:00 pm
Le Pen is mightier than... ?

We can only hope that France's voting public will eventually come to its senses and reclaim its nationhood back from the imported alien hordes.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:10 pm
herberts wrote:
Le Pen is mightier than... ?

We can only hope that France's voting public will eventually come to its senses and reclaim its nationhood back from the imported alien hordes.

This thread started out badly and it has now gone completely down the shiteroo. I've seen dickheads in my time but ...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:38 pm
Well hello, friend JTT. I see the dyspepsia is no better? Never mind, I'm sure you can improve the thread with a few well-couched posts.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:57 pm
McTag wrote:
Well hello, friend JTT. I see the dyspepsia is no better? Never mind, I'm sure you can improve the thread with a few well-couched posts.

Howdy McTag. It's always nice to hear from you.

Actually, I've licked the former. What you saw expressed was a deep disfavor of an ignorance so profound it defies description.

Am I missing something? Is this stupidity major tongue in cheek? Why the silence?
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:42 pm
Yes, JTT - give us a few well-couched posts. Amaze us with your wit and wisdom.

Meanwhile you might like to cast your eye over this disgraceful statistic...

Quote:
Last year, a French study revealed that Muslims make up between 50-70% of prisoners in the French jails.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2005-05/04/article04.shtml

While Muslims comprise only 10% of France's population they even so account for '50-70% of prisoners in French jails'.

JTT...
Quote:
Am I missing something? Is this stupidity major tongue in cheek?

No, it's a solid statistic you moron.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:46 pm
herberts wrote:
Yes, JTT - give us a few well-couched posts. Amaze us with your wit and wisdom.

Meanwhile you might like to cast your eye over this disgraceful statistic...

Quote:
Last year, a French study revealed that Muslims make up between 50-70% of prisoners in the French jails.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2005-05/04/article04.shtml

While Muslims comprise only 10% of France's population they even so account for '50-70% of prisoners in French jails'.

JTT...
Quote:

No, it's a solid statistic you moron.

Maybe I'm unusually dense today, but what does any of that have to do with pet peeves re: the English language as she is spoke? I thought that was what this thread is about.
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:51 pm
'Howdy McTag' indeed. Notice the hat and the suspicious overcoat he's always wearing winter and summer?

When he's not at the computer he's frollicking about in his local park...

http://www.kurilka.com/cards/flasher.gif

http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/33169692409fd4a6138aa.jpg
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:05 pm
Merry Andrew - you're quite correct and I do sincerely apologise - mia culpa.

So, what can I say to compensate you and get this thread back on track... ?

Pet peeves.

I absolutely hate it when while someone is talking they are constantly filling in their pauses and giving themselves 'thinking time' by making 'bridging' noises like...

mmmmmmm... and eeeerrrrrrrr....[/i] and 'you know... ?'.... 'know what I mean... ?'... 'know what I'm sayin'... ?' [/i]
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:06 pm
Some of our contributors are more valuable than others. Some are more aggressive than others. Some are more racist than others. Some are more opinionated than others. Some are more often wrong than others. How could it be otherwise? People are different. But I would prefer rather than discussing personality traits, or individuals competence, or French immigration policy, just to discuss English peeves.

Herberts, I agree that the "noises" habit is very annoying....politicians do it in conversation, when it generally seems to mean "Don't interrupt me, I've not finished"

BTW it's not a coat I'm wearing in my avatar picture, it's an anorak....err- Embarrassed ...an all-weather jacket.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 12:11 am
Just catching up with the thread. Seen this which contradicts the figures I had in mind.

herberts wrote:
While Muslims comprise only 10% of France's population they even so account for '50-70% of prisoners in French jails'

A quick check leads to this:

"Pourtant, au 1er juillet 2003, 12 231 étrangers étaient incarcérés. Ils représentent ainsi 21,4% de la population carcérale, bien au-delà de leur représentation dans l'ensemble de la société française [1]."

Prisons

This mean that only 21.4% of the prisoners in French jails were foreigners.
One can imagine the percentage of Muslims.
But now, the nitpickers will tell us that the prisoners are "French" Muslims...

Let's get back to the right track..
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 01:40 am
Errrr..... McTag.... mmmmmm... it's reassuring to know... errrrrrrrr... that you.... errrrrrrr.... mmmmmmm... concur with my opinion on this.

As a matter of fact, Francis would know better than any of us just what a pain in the arse are the...... 'mmmmmm'.... 'errrrr'...... people. Nobody drags out a sentence more than do the French.

Using interminable repetition and paraphrasing they will spin out a single point they wish to make with demonic persistent determination until they are quite certain their message is tatooed indelibly upon your brain for all the rest of eternity.

And this they accompany with an endless series of grunts and nudges and primordial noises from every part of their oral equipment and throat.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 01:53 am
herberts wrote:
mia culpa.

We are not going to start a su-thread about peeves in Latin, aren't we?

Meouw!
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 05:12 am
Walter...
Quote:
We are not going to start a sub-thread about peeves in Latin, are we?

Certus non! http://www.liquidninjas.com/bbs/images/smilies/klan/cool.gif

http://www.millan.net/anims/giffar/hug.gif
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 05:17 am
Bonum est!
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 05:30 am
As promised to Merry Andrew I will now get back on topic.

It really pisses me off to the enth degree that our TV and Radio media presenters - and the print media - nowadays refer to actresses as 'actors'.

This reeks of PC feminazi garbage which you would think would have run its trendy little course by now, and reverted back to 'actresses'.

It is a major irritation to hear media flunkeys of both sex referring to actresses as 'actors'.

The absurdity of this feminist bullsh*t is further highlighted by the fact that the Oscars have the category of best female actress...

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actress

The Oscars
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 05:33 am
Don't you swear at me, Walter! Here, take this!!... http://fool.exler.ru/sm/lam.gif

http://www.armageddononline.org/forums/images/newsmilies/smokin.gif
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 07:27 am
herbert, If you express your art thru painting still life, nature, whatever and you are female, does that make you a paintress? Of course not, you are a painter. When people speak of actors and actresses as a group they are called actors, as in the Actors Guild. The actors guild is not restricted to males. Ergo, my pet peeve is the word feminazi, unless of course you hope to irritate women. OK, I didn't express myself correctly, of course you are trying to irritate or insult women. Feminazi is not a word women rally around. Here's another tip, the message you send by using that word is powerful and not lost on women. I've formed an opinion and I don't even know you. I hope my instincts are wrong, it could be that no one has ever explained the impact of that word.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 10:31 am
I'd say that Herberts has a suitable avatar but that would unfairly malign the simian group.

Quote:
Herberts: I absolutely hate it when while someone is talking they are constantly filling in their pauses and giving themselves 'thinking time' by making 'bridging' noises like...

mmmmmmm... and eeeerrrrrrrr.... and 'you know... ?'.... 'know what I mean... ?'... 'know what I'm sayin'... ?'

Everybody, that's every living speaker of every language uses place holders such as these. It's as natural to language as breathing is to life.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 10:45 am
herberts wrote:

Meanwhile you might like to cast your eye ...

JTT...
Quote:

No, it's a solid statistic ... .

Sadly, oh so sadly, I was right. It is the former, in spades! You really don't have the faintest idea what racism is, do you, Herberts!

No reply necessary, it's a rhetorical question. Please take your tripe to some other location.
0 Replies