What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Clary

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:53 am
JTT wrote:
Quote:
Clary: I think repellent and repulsive are used interchangeably.

No, they're not, Clary.

mosquito repellent

*mosquito repulsive*

Smile

yeah yeah clever clogs, you know we're talking about the adjective here!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:53 am
You've still miss the point, Set. For one thing, the right-wingnut fundy theists don't have the brains to pull off a stunt like that. The history of right-wingnut fundy theists nutcakes is long indeed and 'faith' has survived intact for hundreds of years. It ain't going nowhere.

Why focus on this one little word? Do you have any idea of the number of words, idomatic phrases, frozen formulas that English has lost over the centuries. The issue of words coming into or going out of vogue is of no consequence to language.

In actuality though, the meanings and the syntactic potentials for 'gay' have been expanded. One use has narrowed, while others have expanded.

Probably, these words that get caught up in moralistic/religious considerations seem to be more affected, but again, language will always fill in any void. It's done so forever, and it will continue to do so forever.

McTag nailed it when he said;

"I feel, though, while we may deplore some changes and think them unneccessary and even retrograde (and there are many examples of this in my opinion) change will continue."

Does that mean that people should stop their whining and kvetching? No, of course not. It only means that it will never make any difference whatsoever to language and how it operates.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:18 am
No, JTT, you miss the point . . . few young native-English speakers even know any longer that gay means anything else--those who do would be embarrassed to use the term in any other way. The same thing can be seen to be happening to the word faith in the United States. No matter how few and "nutty" the abusers of the word may be, they condition the debate by their use of the word--and Clary has a point that this may well lead to other definitions of faith being obscured to the point of obsolesence. That is what happened with the word gay, and it may well happen with the word faith.

I know you think simple repetition will lead to you being accepted as the authority here on the English language. Although that may well happen despite the paucity of evidence for such an assumption, that is no basis for your contention here. You are wrong, but are unwilling to acknowledge as much.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:21 am
And it is necessary to point out to you again that the issue of the "birth" and "death" of definitions in English is irrelevant to a topic which concerns itself with "pet peeves." The self-proclaimed excellence of your understanding of language does nothing to remove the annoyance other English speakers feel in the situations described in this thread.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:28 am
I've got a peeve, and it's the peeve of a Brit.

Several times lately I have seen and heard on our meeja the American phrase "from the get-go"- the latest sighting was in The Spectator, of all places.

This sound really terrible to me. What's wrong with saying "from the beginning" or "from the start" or "at the outset", for goodness sake?

I do hope thay drop it soon, and it doesn't get adopted as common parlance...in my opinion, it is not the most elegant or useful phrase to have come our way.

But it's okay with me if Americans want to keep using it. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:56 pm
Just wait'll they pick up on "low down skinny" . . . that should unravel your short and curlies . . .
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
Just wait'll they pick up on "low down skinny" . . . that should unravel your short and curlies . . .

Nothing worse than having long, straight curlies....
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:30 am
Quote:
Setanta:
No, JTT, you miss the point . . . few young native-English speakers even know any longer that gay means anything else--those who do would be embarrassed to use the term in any other way.

You really are a piece of work, Set. You rant up and down the various threads, bloviating on history this and that, chastizing those who would speak erroneously on things historical yet here, on a thread about language, you're more than willing to let any old thing fly.

You mouth many of the old canards and you're willing to let most anything go because you possess a wellspring of ignorance on what language actually is, and it just refuses to be corked.

Quote:

The Decline of Grammar

Geoffrey Nunberg

... while it is understandable that speakers of a language with a literary tradition would tend to be pessimistic about its course, there is no more hard evidence for a general linguistic degeneration than there is reason to believe that Aaron and Rose are inferior to Ruth and Gehrig.

It is absurd even to talk about a language changing for the better or the worse

Most of my fellow linguists, in fact, would say that it is absurd even to talk about a language changing for the better or the worse. When you have the historical picture before you, and can see how Indo-European gradually slipped into Germanic, Germanic into Anglo-Saxon, and Anglo-Saxon into the English of Chaucer, then Shakespeare, and then Henry James, the process of linguistic change seems as ineluctable and impersonal as continental drift.

From this Olympian point of view, not even the Norman invasion had much of an effect on the structure of the language, and all the tirades of all the grammarians since the Renaissance sound like the prattlings of landscape gardeners who hope by frantic efforts to keep Alaska from bumping into Asia.

The long run will surely prove the linguists right: English will survive whatever "abuses" its current critics complain of. And by that I mean not just that people will go on using English and its descendants in their daily commerce but that they will continue to make art with it as well.

Yet it is hard to take comfort in the scholars' sanguine detachment. We all know what Keynes said about the long run, and in the meantime does it really matter not at all how we choose to speak and write? It may be that my children will use gift and impact as verbs without the slightest compunction (just as I use contact, wondering that anyone ever bothered to object to it).

But I can't overcome the feeling that it is wrong for me to use them in that way and that people of my generation who say "We decided to gift them with a desk set" are in some sense guilty of a moral lapse, whether because they are ignorant or because they are weak. In the face of that conviction, it really doesn't matter to me whether to gift will eventually prevail, carried on the historical tide. Our glory, Silone said, lies in not having to submit to history.

Quote:
Setanta: The same thing can be seen to be happening to the word faith in the United States. No matter how few and "nutty" the abusers of the word may be, they condition the debate by their use of the word--and Clary has a point that this may well lead to other definitions of faith being obscured to the point of obsolesence. That is what happened with the word gay, and it may well happen with the word faith.

I know you think simple repetition will lead to you being accepted as the authority here on the English language. Although that may well happen despite the paucity of evidence for such an assumption, that is no basis for your contention here. You are wrong, but are unwilling to acknowledge as much.

You think that you can substitute a profound absence of knowledge with a bullying manner. It may work with some but it doesn't fly with me, Set.

As I mentioned and you missed, or simply avoided, as you are wont to do, it doesn't matter a tinker's damn to language what we lose and what we don't. It matters not at all that some children will grow up with fewer meanings for 'gay' in their mental vocabulary. Nothing is missing, they and their language have all the words necessary to function.

In fact, young people have invented a new usage for 'gay'.

There are thousands upon thousands of meanings that have been lost, meanings that you have no knowledge of. Does that leave you at a loss for words. Hell no! you can be as bombastic as the next person, usually much more so.

As McTag so eloquently said, and you, in your efforts to bring fairness and balance to the discussion, sailed right over;

Quote:

McTag:
"... change will continue. I daresay the pace of that change is nowadays faster, with the pace of modern life and the frenzy of the meeja to find new ways of saying things."

One more small point. It is patently ludicrous to suggest that any one group or any one person can't use the language their dialect gives them in a manner that they see fit.

This silly idea is to deny to language, again out of ignorance, the only method available to change meaning, to add nuances where none before existed.

You don't sound all that sure of yourself with your "may wells".

Clary had a point that I acknowledged; people will whine and kvetch and people have a right to whine and kvetch but that doesn't mean that they are conveying something accurate about language.

When you look at the big picture, it's kinda like complaining about the erosion of mountains, as if the comments have any real significance or even more fatuously, to believe that the comments will put a stop to the erosion.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:35 am
"Clary had a point that I acknowledged; people will whine and kvetch and people have a right to whine and kvetch but that doesn't mean that they are conveying something accurate about language."

My point was mostly about governments and the media. The language is putty in their hands. There was a debate on the radio today because the Voluntary Euthanasia Society has changed its name to "Dignity in Dying", and a man from the Palliative Care Society was annoyed at their appropriation of the word dignity, implying that only euthanasia was dignified. I rest my valise.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:31 am
Clary wrote:
"Clary had a point that I acknowledged; people will whine and kvetch and people have a right to whine and kvetch but that doesn't mean that they are conveying something accurate about language."

My point was mostly about governments and the media. The language is putty in their hands. There was a debate on the radio today because the Voluntary Euthanasia Society has changed its name to "Dignity in Dying", and a man from the Palliative Care Society was annoyed at their appropriation of the word dignity, implying that only euthanasia was dignified. I rest my valise.

Clary,

How have they "appropriated" anything? Doesn't their meaning match perfectly with the situation? Does it automatically exclude other situations corresponding to 'dignity'? Of course not!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be getting personal emotional feelings mistakenly tied up in semantics. 'dignity' has a meaning that we all recognize. One person's connotative feeling of what constitutes dignity doesn't preclude others who may have a different take on what may or may not be dignified.

It's not at all unimaginable that a person can see dignity occurring within both situations. Just because someone complains that his 'word' has been stolen/appropriated doesn't make it so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:44 am
Nor does it lessen the sense of annoyance which the person alledging that a word has been purloined; and annoyance--something which you tend to provide in the simple act of showing up in this thread--is what the thread is all about.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 06:42 am
Setanta wrote:
Nor does it lessen the sense of annoyance which the person alledging that a word has been purloined; and annoyance--something which you tend to provide in the simple act of showing up in this thread--is what the thread is all about.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Set. I reject your uniformed opinion that it is somehow okay to pass on old wives tales and canards about any given issue and I find it astonishing that a man of your seeming intellect can keep on harping on the same old nonsense.

It's also more than slightly distressing that this same man, again, seemingly in possession of a measure of intelligence can either miss the central point or, worse yet, avoid it. It's as if you leave your brain outside when you step into this thread, Set.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:01 am
That's rich . . . you have got to have displayed one of the most pig-headed attitudes i've ever encountered.

This thread is a venue for people to air the things about English usage which annoy them. No one ever asserted that this was a place to get the final, official word on English usage--it's only a play to air one's peeves.

Quite apart from that, there is no official word on English usage, no usage institution having ever been established. And we have no reason to consider you to be a final abitror of usage other than your bald assertion to that effect--an assertion without support.

Once again, see if you can hammer through your thick skull the concept that this thread is for people who are annoyed and wish to express their annoyance, not a stage upon which you display the alledged excellence of your comprehension.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:05 am
Re: What are your pet peeves re English usage?
ailsagirl wrote:
I'm sure that this has been addressed any number of times in this Forum but bear in mind that I am new. As with anyone who cares about his/her language and hates seeing it trashed, I have created a short list of things that irk me concerning English usage.

(after which followed a list of Ailsa's "peeves.")

That is the introductory post of this thread. Miss Ailsa simply provided a venue for the things about English usage which irk people. She does not suggest that this thread is intended to be the official word on English usage.

You only come here to "wow" us all with your immense intellect (insert appropriate rolly-eyed emoticon here), which is why you feel compelled to make a pathetic attempt to insult me on such a basis.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:20 am
Which reminds me that we haven't seen Ms Alisa since Monday 24 May, 2004.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:21 am
Setanta wrote:
That's rich . . . you have got to have displayed one of the most pig-headed attitudes i've ever encountered.

This thread is a venue for people to air the things about English usage which annoy them. No one ever asserted that this was a place to get the final, official word on English usage--it's only a play to air one's peeves.

Then I'm in the perfect place. People who spread falsehoods about language annoy the hell out of me.

If this is going to go on much longer, perhaps we could discuss it on another thread, one wherein you bring your brain with you, Set.

Quite apart from that, there is no official word on English usage, no usage institution having ever been established. And we have no reason to consider you to be a final abitror of usage other than your bald assertion to that effect--an assertion without support.

Yet another uniformed opinion. "usage institutions", [that's a quaint term that no one is likely to appropriate] are a joke. They are similar in nature to much of the stuff that we find on this thread but without the humor.

There has been howver, a great deal of indepth study on language that has gone on over the last half century. It has shown all the old prescriptions exactly for what they were, trash.

How is it that it all seems to have have blown right by you?

Why is it that when we get into these discussions, all you can do is march out the same old tripe? [rhetorical question] You have never once addressed the actual language issues. That tells it all, Set, that tells it all.

Here's a thought. You could TRY to do even a modicum of research and then actually offer something worthwhile in debate on the issues.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:23 am
Oh sure, as though i would willing cooperate in providing you a venue for your bloviation.

(That word has always irked me, simply by its mere existence--how wonderful to find the opportunity to use is so pleasantly.)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:27 am
You have never once addressed the actual language issues. That tells it all, Set, that tells it all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:29 am
Yes, it tells just how out of touch you are with the intent of this thread.

Bold face does not make your case for you--you remain a silly, pompous and irrelevant interjection into a thread which has nothing to do with what anyone could contend is an "official" version of correct English grammar.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:31 am
I think people are far too precious about language. Its only a few vibrations in the air or some squiggles on a piece of paper which we create to convey meaning. Its only when those vibrations or squiggles are new, or change their form that we get excited.

Any road up from the get-go ....

I supposes some sounds are easier on the ear, perhaps more musical. Maybe a nicely formatted paragraph has more artistic merit than a txt msg I dunno, am no artist.

I'm struggling here because I'm no linguist either. What I'm trying to say is I dont give a damn if the old alternative meanings of words like gay or faith are no longer used. But what does trouble me is corruption of grammar, to such an extent that meaning is degraded, lost or even reversed.

I got particularly animated by the (new) phrase

"I could care less"

meaning exactly the same as (the old phrase)

"I couldn't care less"

Here you have two statements, one the direct negation of the other, from which the hearer is expected to get the same meaning.

Is this me being pedantic or is it a frightening example of Orwellian Newspeak?
0 Replies