Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 03:07 pm
Quote:
Cicerone said to Romeo: I can't be responsible for what other people say about the bible. You can't apply what other people say, and apply that to me just because I'm an atheist. I'm an individual with my own ideas, and I can't be responsible for what anyone else says.
How dense are you?

So you're saying atheists are divided with many different views and opinions..Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 03:09 pm
@Setanta,
I am suggesting,

time begins from a certain place.

but all time is a continuum.
Setanta

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 03:16 pm
@RexRed,
If your suggestion doesn't have any evidence, if it doesn't have sound basis in logical speculation, it's just so much hot air.
RexRed

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 03:23 pm
@Setanta,
We only see out of our own times, but there is time above and time below.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 04:04 pm
@Setanta,
I beg your pardon . ...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 04:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wrote:
I take the bible as axiom.
cicerone imposter wrote:
No, you couldn't. That's because of all the errors, omissions, and contradictions in the bible. You have divorced your common sense for a two thousand year old book created by many men who didn't understand what science would reveal thousands of years after their fictional stories were put into print.
I'm not going to do your homework assignments.

Have objections? State 'em and debate 'em.
neologist

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 04:13 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
It seems you are listening for flea farts and calling them God. Smile
Suffering from fear of flea flatulence, Rex?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 04:18 pm
We can all exist together, even if God does not exist. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 04:25 pm
@neologist,
I've been doing that all along, but you refuse to provide any credible response. You can't use the bible to support the bible. Do you understand anything about logic?

In other words, you can't use a fictional book to support the fiction within it.

Miracles in the bible can't be supported outside of the bible. Do you know why?

RexRed

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 04:34 pm
God exists in the answer to the cipher... Pull the sword from the stone.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 06:40 pm
Take this, eat this, this is my body...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 06:45 pm
Drink this Kool-Aid... Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 12:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I've been doing that all along, but you refuse to provide any credible response. You can't use the bible to support the bible. Do you understand anything about logic?
You missed the train on that one, CI. There are basically two ways to question scripture. One is to challenge its account of known events, The other is to challenge its internal consistency. When you say the Bible contains contradictions, I ask you to enumerate them. That would be using the Bible to support the Bible. Capeesh? If you wish to challenge the Bible's account of historical events (or non events), we can do that as well. But you were just ruminating over internal consistency, so get on with it. Show us some of your best stuff. But, if you put up a laundry list, don't be offended if I only answer a few at a time.
cicerone imposter wrote:
In other words, you can't use a fictional book to support the fiction within it.
No writer of fiction would be worth his salt if his works lacked coherence and internal consistency.
cicerone imposter wrote:
Miracles in the bible can't be supported outside of the bible. Do you know why?
That's the other topic. I'm ready for that, also. Do you understand one of your major problems is that, instead of inspecting the bible, you simply take for granted what other people say about it?
Setanta

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 03:51 am
I see Rex is back in his mystical mumbo jumbo mode. It's a shame, he was doing so well for quite a while there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 03:54 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
No writer of fiction would be worth his salt if his works lacked coherence and internal consistency.

The Lord of the Rings is coherent and internally consistent. Do you allege that it is a true statement of the rise of mankind?

By the way, the word you wanted was capiche, not "capeesh."
FBM

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 07:12 am
@Setanta,
A friend of mine asked me to read a book he'd written and give him some feedback. At one point, one of his characters exclaimed, "VoilĂ !" However, he spelled it, "Wallah!"

The rest of the book was just as groan-worthy. I had to be tactful.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 09:47 am
@neologist,
neo, You are being unreasonable on many levels. One fictional book cannot contradict its message then turn around and say you can't use the same book to prove its contradictions or consistency. Your failure at logic is humongous!

What do you think "thou shalt not kill" means? Be specific.

You wrote,
Quote:

Then, why do you do it?

neologist

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 10:33 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The Lord of the Rings is coherent and internally consistent. Do you allege that it is a true statement of the rise of mankind?
No.
But, as an integrated whole, one part cannot contradict the other without reason. A character cannot be good in one scene and evil in the next without explanation.
neologist

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 10:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, You are being unreasonable on many levels. One fictional book cannot contradict its message then turn around and say you can't use the same book to prove its contradictions or consistency. Your failure at logic is humongous!
You claimed one cannot use the bible to prove the bible, yet you insist you can use the bible to disprove the bible. Am I somehow to be refused rebuttal?
cicerone imposter wrote:
What do you think "thou shalt not kill" means? Be specific.
I'm fairly certain the meaning of the command was 'Thou shall not murder"
cicerone imposter wrote:

You wrote,
Quote:
Then, why do you do it?
Waiting for coherence on your part
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 10:40 am
@FBM,
Ah, but did your friend expect you to take his book as a plausible explanation of the origin of the cosmos?