neologist

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 05:49 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
And Jesus asked Peter, "Do you love me?" and Peter answered, "Yes I do love you lord." then Jesus replied, "Feed my lambs.".
Don't give more to the text than it contains, Rex. John 21:16 Reads:
Quote:
Simon son of John, do you love me?
Check any Greek text and you will find the word used here for love is agape, or principled love.
RexRed

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 06:14 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

RexRed wrote:
And Jesus asked Peter, "Do you love me?" and Peter answered, "Yes I do love you lord." then Jesus replied, "Feed my lambs.".
Don't give more to the text than it contains, Rex. John 21:16 Reads:
Quote:
Simon son of John, do you love me?
Check any Greek text and you will find the word used here for love is agape, or principled love.

You are not actually correct Neo, the words Jesus used are both agape and phileo...

Check again. I don't even need to look it up.

And "Simon son of John (or Jonah)" is none other than err, Peter,

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 06:25 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
You are not actually correct Neo, the words Jesus used are both agape and phileo...

Check again. I don't even need to look it up.

And "Simon son of John (or Jonah)" is none other than err, Peter,
You only cited one verse. I figured either 15 or 16. 17 is only slightly different, using philea, brotherly love, or family love. Eros, or erotic love is not mentioned in the Bible.
RexRed

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 06:40 pm
@neologist,
Yes phileo is used many times and is also used in the very verses I stated.

You are wise Neo, you know there is something more to this. For this you need to be commended.

Let me paraphrase the discussion between Jesus and Peter.

Jesus asked Peter, Do you agape (the love of God) me?

Peter answered, I phileo (human love) you lord.

Jesus asked Peter again, do you agape (the love of God) me?

Peter answered again, I phileo (human love) you.

Jesus then came down to Peter's level and said Peter do you even phileo (human love) me?

Peter answered and said I just told you lord, I phileo (human love) you.

The Jesus said, feed my lambs.

The theological explanation for this is that agape had not come yet.

The disciple Peter was the best love had to offer at the time. Still, Peter denied Jesus three times...
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 08:22 am
The word "love" can have several meanings. For example we can love Elvis but that doesn't mean we're gay, right Elv?

"Uh-huh"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/elvis-lip.jpg
RexRed

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 08:33 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Love is a many-splendored thing... Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 09:41 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
Still, Peter denied Jesus three times...

Understandable so in the circumstances. The commies deny Marx left, right and centre and not many make a big deal out of that.

It's obvious, Rex, that your big deals are out of proportion and always lean in one direction.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 01:16 pm
@spendius,
spendi, Marx has absolutely nothing to do with the Peter-Jesus story; NONE.

Drinking again?
spendius

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 01:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He has. He's the alternative guru isn't he?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 01:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wasn't it the duty of the man designated the "Rock" to not get crucified?
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 04:03 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed, your view could be used to argument against the trinity.........also in the past there were animal sacrifices....so animals died because man sinned, although it was only symbolic of the future sacrifice of Christ. Would you agree with this?

Enaj
RexRed

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 08:21 pm
@Enaj,
It might seem that way but Peter's disbelief does not verify the actual divinity of Jesus.

Just like being an atheist in itself does not prove or disprove the existence of God.

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part [phileo], and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come [agape], then that which is in part [phileo] shall be done away. 11 When I was a child [phileo], I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man [agape], I put away childish things.

Comment:
Before the crucifixion the Jews would never have considered a man as God but after the crucifixion many Jews and all of Asia believed in the divinity of Jesus.

Does this mass "belief" in Jesus' divinity make it so? No more than an atheist's disbelief negates this divinity.

The Epistles in the Bible have grave warnings against the Trinity.

It is no wonder, the act of proclaiming a man as God is a dangerous ideal.

Yet in the Epistles the redemption of man exceeds even the glory of the angels.

Once again we are left with the ideal that ambiguity and uncertainty is better than faith.

I might add that even ambiguity is criticized in the Bible. The certainty of ambiguity is also a travesty.

If there is a resolution to all of this it is above my own ability to discern, other than, love, liberty and tolerance are the way...

Some radical Christians say the Bible does not teach tolerance.. I will assure you it does...

Does being grown up spiritually mean we no longer have human love or that human love is wrong?

I don't think that is the case either. Everything in its season. Smile
anonymously99

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 08:12 pm
@RexRed,
God exists. You're so completely brainwashed by the neverending anger and hatred you dwell on to even know if love exists. Unbelievable. But it's right before my, your, everyone's eyes.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:11 am
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/q75/s720x720/1609740_10152320138375155_866962505695394237_n.jpg
anonymously99

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:11 am
@RexRed,
God lives in heaven. Rr.

Living your life based on love is better than not living your life based on love.
RexRed

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 01:17 pm
@anonymously99,
You are entitled to your beliefs and opinions.

I do completely agree with you about love Anon. Smile

An ATHEIST does not believe in God, I am NOT an atheist.

I am an AGNOSTIC which means I don't know if God exists or not. I prefer to keep it that way.

I don't belong to ANY religion and I have varying degrees of respect or disdain for each religious thought in particular.
anonymously99

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 01:54 pm
@RexRed,
Do you believe you have done all of the things you've done in the past that aren't recorded in a book, on film, or like material?

Did you believe you could sing, and or make music before you started?

How well are you at what you do?

How well accomplished, how far have you came from where you started?

You had to believe in yourself. You had to have had confidence, supporting individuals maybe, but in all a healthy mindset.

I personally don't need supporters I believe I can manage my own. It is the fact that my mental health isn't as healthy as I know it can be, that it should.

Depression. Can hit you, anyone hard. Depending on how well developed an individual's mind is there are certain extremes. The Lord won't allow you to suffer more than you can handle. There's always a way out. Just as there is always help. Same as understanding. You have to want to understand so that you will understand. Otherwise you're an ignorant bumpkin/yokel. Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:26 pm
@anonymously99,
That's easy for you to say. Not everybody is born with a silver spoon in their mouth, have all the necessary healthy body and mind, nor live in the right kind of environment that provides all the necessary ingredients for a successful life.

Over 80% of the world population lives in poverty. If you live in any one of the developed countries that have provided democratic freedoms, you can count yourself amongst the lucky ones.

Everything else is biology and environment.
anonymously99

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Says the imposter.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 08:59 pm
@anonymously99,
Yes, says the imposter. You can only use an ad hominem in response, because you're too stupid to provide a reasonable response.

Figures.