neologist

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:06 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
Errantly so... Science has also revealed the Bible's feeble attempt to define life. So shall we now trust the Bible's word on the human Spirit?

And Jesus in so many words said, When one builds their house on the sand the rains come and wash it away...
What shall we opine of one who quotes scripture from a text he does not believe?

You mourn for those massacred in Burma, and rightly so. There is no question you have God given empathy and principled love. However it is not enough to prophecy and perform powerful works in his name. You must also do his will. -- Matthew 7:22. That verse appears just a few lines before the one you referenced.
spendius

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 05:02 am
@RexRed,
I bet Seeger didn't really think being in the woods felt like being in a church Rex. He just thought it was a clever thing to say.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 11:00 am
Quote:
Calamity said:@RF- on the other hand they could always join you in the celebrations to all of your gods, you might need to share some of your idols mind, I dont think they keep any. But of course how many gods you may wish to join in celebrations to is none of my business

I think you've got me mixed up with Seeger, HE was the Jesus-rejecter who worshipped a mixed bag of "gods", in the hope that he was bound to find the right one in there somewhere..Smile

Wiki- Seeger was a member of a Unitarian Universalist Church in New York.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Seeger

Wiki- The theology of individual Unitarian Universalists ranges widely, including Humanism, Atheism, Agnosticism, Pantheism, Deism, Christianity, Judaism, Neopaganism, Buddhism, and many more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism
Calamity Dal

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 12:43 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
oh so you don't join in any pagan festivities? I thought most of you christian types had no problem mixing it up with Ishtar and enjoying a little druidic action here and there. Its one of those hilariously ironic things most christians join in while trying to claim that their god was the one that was so strict back in Israelite times, you know the jealous god that would not permit the celebrations and worship of anyone but him.
Well Mick, I might start respecting you more
spendius

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 02:16 pm
@Calamity Dal,
What sort of atheist fetivals might we enjoy in the future when all the wonderful arguments atheists have at their disposal, not all deployed of course due to nervous dispositions, have finally won through.

When will they take place?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 03:42 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

RexRed wrote:
Errantly so... Science has also revealed the Bible's feeble attempt to define life. So shall we now trust the Bible's word on the human Spirit?

And Jesus in so many words said, When one builds their house on the sand the rains come and wash it away...
What shall we opine of one who quotes scripture from a text he does not believe?

You mourn for those massacred in Burma, and rightly so. There is no question you have God given empathy and principled love. However it is not enough to prophecy and perform powerful works in his name. You must also do his will. -- Matthew 7:22. That verse appears just a few lines before the one you referenced.

Doing the will of the divine starts with unconditional love, not, my "way" or the highway...
neologist

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 03:55 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
I think you've got me mixed up with Seeger, HE was the Jesus-rejecter who worshipped a mixed bag of "gods", in the hope that he was bound to find the right one in there somewhere..
Yeah, but Romeo, you worship Saturn on Dec 25 and Astarte at Easter time. What makes you different?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 03:56 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
Doing the will of the divine starts with unconditional love, not, my "way" or the highway...
Did God have unconditional love for Adam and Eve? What do you think?
spendius

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 04:04 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:

Rubbish Rex. You're getting starry-eyed again.

Read Ted Hughes's book Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being. That deals with unconditional love. So does another book but I won't mention its title.

The Divine Will is what you see. Jesus hangs as an example for all time to those who play that card.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 04:06 pm
@neologist,
Does a loving parent tell their kids, they must be killed if they did one thing wrong against their wishes?
spendius

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 04:28 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Quote:
I thought most of you christian types had no problem mixing it up with Ishtar and enjoying a little druidic action here and there.

Of course not. Ishtar and Easter take note. Ishtar was Goddess of rumpy-pumpy. I was conceived on Easter Monday after two days of revels starting with Mass with all the trimmings. Or so my father told me once. I never asked my mother to confirm it mind you.

The festivities surrounding both these entities are not mixed up at all. They are both determined by the sap rising at that time of year in the northern hemisphere. When spring is springing. Pure biology. The further north, or south, one goes the more surprising the effect and the more reason to celebrate. At the equator I suppose there is no effect. Or not enough to be striking. Which is bound to have an effect on the religious beliefs in those regions.

I have a few snowdrops out. They always remind me of chaste novice nuns with lowered gazes.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 05:48 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Actually Cal, I think you are taking the piss out of us by attempting to palm off a very superficial understanding as wisdom.
neologist

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 05:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Does a loving parent tell their kids, they must be killed if they did one thing wrong against their wishes?
Death was a consequence, not a punishment.
spendius

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 05:55 pm
@neologist,
The correct answer to ci.'s question is "no, you silly gump".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 05:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
Death was a consequence, not a punishment.

"Death"...in that absurd story, Neo...was the result of a sting. It was an attempt by very superstitious, relatively unsophisticated, relatively unknowledgeable people trying to explain the human predicament.

I understand why they did it...and I understand the defects in some of their explanations.

What stumps me is why people of this day and age (such as you) actually think about their attempts the way they do!
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:01 pm
@neologist,
Read the bible about children who does not a) obey their parents, and b) does not profess Jesus as their savior.

Quote:
He that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death. -- Exodus 21:15
He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death. -- Exodus 21:17
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:12 pm
Quote:
Calamity said:@RF- oh so you don't join in any pagan festivities? I thought most of you christian types had no problem mixing it up with Ishtar and enjoying a little druidic action here and there...

Like I've said before, I've got a soft spot for Wiccans for burning Edward Woodward and Nic Cage in wicker men, they thoroughly deserved it for their bad acting.
As for Ishtar, I googled and found out she's an ancient love goddess, so if you can wangle me an invite to one of her parties I'd appreciate it..Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
He that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death. -- Exodus 21:15
He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death. -- Exodus 21:17

That was to prevent children smiting and cursing their parents. I imagine it worked ci. and possibly saved your life.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:16 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: Romeo, you worship Saturn on Dec 25 and Astarte at Easter time..

Funny, I could have sworn that Christmas was all about celebrating Jesus's birth, and Easter was about celebrating his brave self-sacrifice on the cross?
Or don't you Jehovah's Witness think that was worth celebrating?
Calamity Dal

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:16 pm
@spendius,
So Easter is called Easter because...

Would you say that christians reject all pagan festivities?