neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well, not all of us are eloquent.
I'll see if I can get to this in a day or so.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:19 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Well, not all of us are eloquent.
I'll see if I can get to this in a day or so.

Take as long as you need.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
One of the Jehovah's Witnesses who took on the question here in my house came up with, "Well someone had to do the work."

I thought the senior member of that team was going to have a stroke.

The visit ended almost immediately after that response.

Well--that's understandable. The first appearance of the truth generally does scatter the company. Possibly the senior member hadn't explained to the trainee that they didn't want to recruit anybody who thinks too deeply.

Emancipation came when fossil fuels were a cheaper and more convenient alternative and the problem was then, and still is, what to do with the economically redundant surplus of horses and humans. Horseracing and competitive consumerism of course with status gradations measured by such things as universities attended, volume of accommodation, motor cars, modes of dress, curtains, artistic appreciation, holiday locations, neat lawn edges, and choice of bathroom freshening fragrance. (Not a particularly comprehensive list I know.) Basically, the more other people's wasted efforts are engaged at the behest of an individual the higher up the status hierarchy that individual is deemed to be so long as they are visibly displayed. In the central area of the hierarchy, which expands as mechanical efficiency is raised, a seething flux exists in which individuals change places frequently within a fairly narrow range depending upon who is witnessed doing what at any particular time.

The office of President emerges from this flux, which itself moves up and down depending upon circumstances, or how they are perceived at least, with the outer edges having no say nor wishing to have.

Apisa wallows in the result seemingly unaware that there were much more powerful and much more strident voices raised against slavery than he could ever manage and they had not the slightest effect on the institution in its long history, maybe 200 years, and it was only when mechanical contrivances powered by fossil fuels were developed that the slaves were made redundant.

Those methods of getting work done were what emancipated the slaves and nothing else. Ingratiating and patronising wheedlings from the rocking chair in the service of promoting the wheddler's compassionate and virtue suffused image notwithstanding.

Even the threat of shipping the machines to where the slaves were, or are now, is only short-lived because the more efficient the machines are the less the labour cost as a component in the price of the product has significance. I imagine that just a few cotton pickers are needed now to pick all the cotton the US needs.

If whatever Apisa had said to prompt the trainee to say "Well someone had to do the work." it doesn't mean that he can't tell us what his response would have been had the participants not flown off on their separate ways so precipitously.

It's easy being a sanctimonious ******* saint when you're writing your own script. Apisa should explain to us why he pulled that cheap stunt.
neologist

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 09:55 am
@spendius,
Yeah. But, spendi, that was not the correct answer.
spendius

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 10:06 am
@neologist,
Well--I suppose Apisa would have thanked the trainee for providing him with such fun and that he would be here for him if ever he needed him.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:13 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: If I make sense to any one I am happy

Don't give up the day job mate..Wink
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 08:51 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Oh God please make me funny..

Or smart.
Smart would work.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:37 pm
@neologist,
Neologist wrote: Romeo Fabulini wrote: Oh God please make me funny..
Neologist: Or smart. Smart would work.

Anon wrote: All I feel you can do is pray. Me being sarcastic.
0 Replies

anonymously99stwin

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:44 pm
@neologist,
I hit a damn mine.

mine2 [mahyn]

—noun

an excavation made in the earth for the purpose of extracting ores, coal, precious stones, etc.
a place where such minerals may be obtained, either by excavation or by washing the soil.
a natural deposit of such minerals.
an abundant source; store: a mine of information.
a device containing a charge of explosive in a watertight casing, floating on or moored beneath the surface of the water for the purpose of blowing up an enemy ship that strikes it or passes close by it.
a similar device used on land against personnel or vehicles; land mine.
a subterranean passage made to extend under an enemy's works or position, as for the purpose of securing access or of depositing explosives for blowing up a military position.
a passageway in the parenchyma of a leaf, made by certain insects.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 03:36 am
Quote:
Romeo said: Oh God please make me funny..
Neologist said: Or smart.Smart would work

I'm smart enough to be a free thinker mate, unlike you JW's who have signed over your brains to your JW Big Bosses to let them do your thinking for you..Wink

WIKI- Jehovah's Witnesses suppression of free speech and thought
JW Watch Tower Society publications strongly discourage followers from questioning its doctrines and counsel, reasoning that the Society is to be trusted as "God's organization".
It also warns members to "avoid independent thinking", claiming such thinking "was introduced by Satan the Devil"and would "cause division".
Those who openly disagree with official teachings are condemned as "apostates" and "mentally diseased".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

My pulsating dynamic free brain in action-
RexRed

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 06:02 am
I had a door to door ministry, a couple of older woman come to my door once.

I opened the door and no, I was not dressed in pink bunny slippers with curlers in my hair.

Well, one of the woman blurted out that, "God is going to reign destruction down upon the earth and the vengeance of the Lord will be swift and merciless...." I interrupted the woman and said, "Maybe your God is a killer but mine is not" I said, no thanks, and gently closed the door in their faces.

We are mirrors of what we think God is, if God does not exist, neither do we exist then. If God is a cruel tyrant imputing sins then so will we be. If God forgives and is charitable in our perceptions then so too will we be charitable and forgiving.

Tell me what you think of God and I can tell you what you think of yourself...
spendius

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 06:15 am
@RexRed,
I presume you think God is forgiving and charitable then? In which case a round of applause is your due.
RexRed

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 06:24 am
@spendius,
If I did not believe God was forgiving and charitable I would not feel right with myself...

Many years ago I had to reconcile what God meant to me before I could in good conscience try and preach the nature and essence about this God to others.

Sometimes we preach the goodness of God to others and people see this through their own interpretation that changes this God to suit their way of perceiving justice and liberty.

They say that being evil is justified by the ends and they attribute this evil with God, saying, God permits me to be evil because evil was done to me.

People get to the point of using God to justify their endgame. They say, "You stole my land so (God and) I will steal it back..."

Any thoughts on this?
FBM

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 06:33 am
So much air-wank. Arguing about the number of angels that can dance on the tip of a pin when the real question is whether or not angels (read: gods) even exist in the first place. If you don't have evidence, why do you even bother? Just because the fantasy feels good? That's just mental masturbation. Nothing wrong with masturbation, but please do it in private. Nobody wants to see you getting off in public.
RexRed

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 07:13 am
@FBM,
The very heart of Christianity is a parent with their child. The creator with the creation.

How this creator chooses to relate itself to this creation is a point of discussion.

People who argue that a creator does not exist are surely oblivious to the universe around them. Of course there is a creator or there would not be any existence. But what is this creator? Is it a tiny molecule of matter? Is it a tiny wave form? Is it energy? What is the creator of our world?

To relate this creator to some mythological being is not outside the possibility of possibilities.

That the creator exists in the matter of our minds and our earth is like a thought in the mind of God circling around the energy life giving source of our creator's heart, the sun.

Was it a single word that caused the big bang? What was this word? Was it the flapping of a butterfly's wings?

We may never find God or the creator but there is no doubt that we are here and something put us here. Some argue that that something is nothing but in the strict sense of what nothing is, that seems untrue.

Yet the universe may be the product of two parents and the universe is their unique offspring.

Are the parents of the universe matter and energy? Something is the cause of the universe. Many people like to think that that something is either not alive or not conscious. Well I like to admire the universe for the very brilliance and awe of its architecture. Sure there are some odd concepts of design also but overall it is fully functional model of the physical and biological strata of matter and energy combined.

So as Christianity is a parent with it's child (creator with its creation) we are also children of this universe.

Just because one mythological system of religion or even many systems have proven to be silly and barbaric does not negate that there IS one scenario that IS the truth concerning the beginning all existence. Does this scenario involve a God? We do not know. Does it involve creators? YES this is proven scientifically. If there were no creators we would not exist.

To deny creators you would have to deny existence. Are these creators things or intelligence? Are they capable of uttering a word? Did they simply form a bond and become matter in space? It was something like this.

Did light and matter form out of nothing? Something put them into the chemistry of our universe. Something started a long process that would end up where it is today.

We have it within in our nature to look back to our creator in reverence. As we also revere our parents for our lives. We also look forward towards an uncertain future and we have it within our nature to survive.

All of these natural inclinations lead us towards the understanding that there is a universal set of deities. These deities may not be consciousness but only chemical or atomic in nature.

Or they could be energy itself and in thus being are self aware of all things.

We don't even understand where gravity comes from. According to the laws of the speed of light gravity is not supposed to be able to exist.

Believing in gravity as a scientist is like believing in ghosts and esp as a biologist. Yet no one will argue that gravity does exist.

Do we have a natural propensity to seek out after a deity to commune with? Is this deity a mirror of our values and good sense?

Many prayers are sent skywards to heaven yet they get so close and then something weighs the prayers down and it falls back earthwards. This is because our prayers are not hitting the target. They are being sent to some dogmatic system of mind control rather than to the simplicity of a person just communing with nature.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 07:47 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
Any thoughts on this?

No more than what I said in the post you replied to.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 08:02 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
But who would dream that spiritual lile was at all concerned in asserting these human and local values, or in supposing that they were especially divine, or bound to dominate the universe for ever?

George Santayana.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 09:56 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
I had a door to door ministry, a couple of older woman come to my door once.

I opened the door and no, I was not dressed in pink bunny slippers with curlers in my hair.

Well, one of the woman blurted out that, "God is going to reign destruction down upon the earth and the vengeance of the Lord will be swift and merciless...." I interrupted the woman and said, "Maybe your God is a killer but mine is not" I said, no thanks, and gently closed the door in their faces.
That was not a JW.
RexRed wrote:
We are mirrors of what we think God is, if God does not exist, neither do we exist then. If God is a cruel tyrant imputing sins then so will we be. If God forgives and is charitable in our perceptions then so too will we be charitable and forgiving.

Tell me what you think of God and I can tell you what you think of yourself...
Three of God's predominant qualities are love, justice, and wisdom. I don't claim superlative wisdom; but I do believe God's quality of justice means he is, above all, fair.
neologist

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 10:06 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
WIKI- Jehovah's Witnesses suppression of free speech and thought
JW Watch Tower Society publications strongly discourage followers from questioning its doctrines and counsel, reasoning that the Society is to be trusted as "God's organization".
It also warns members to "avoid independent thinking", claiming such thinking "was introduced by Satan the Devil"and would "cause division".
Those who openly disagree with official teachings are condemned as "apostates" and "mentally diseased".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses
If you really want to find out what JWs think, you can go to JW dot org. You will get a better answer than I can give, unless I cut and paste.
And, you know how lame it is when folks just cut and paste, right?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 10:15 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Three of God's predominant qualities are love, justice, and wisdom. I don't claim superlative wisdom; but I do believe God's quality of justice means he is, above all, fair.
[/quote]

Obviously you are not talking about the god described in the Bible. I am not sure of any other gods...but that one certainly has none of those qualities.