reasoning logic

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 08:07 pm
@neologist,
Well I was told that I have three mustaches, my wife says that my eyebrows are thicker. she says I look like Groucho marx "who ever that is.
neologist

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 08:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/groucho_marx.html#tvCHi8utGv1q8xdi.99
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 08:38 pm
@neologist,
Do you like TED?

neologist

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 12:28 am
@reasoning logic,
Just checking the title.
Responding to pastor Rick Warren, I can see a straw man.
I guarantee you that whatever Rick Warren says, I cannot defend him.
In fact, I would have a more coherent argument against.
Same with a lot of believers on this forum.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 12:06 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Well I was told that I have three mustaches, my wife says that my eyebrows are thicker. she says I look like Groucho marx "who ever that is.

A brand of Marxism that even David can support! Smile

http://lakitusdevcartridge.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/marxism-groucho-marx.jpg
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 05:21 am
Hubble Telescope Reveals Deepest View of the Universe Yet
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=hubble-telescope-reveals

two pages
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 05:55 am
Lebanese Library Torched After Blasphemy Accusation
http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2014/1/7/lebanese-library-torched-after-blasphemy-accusation
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 06:09 am
Just checking in to see if anyone had found any evidence for a god yet. No? OK. I see. I'll keep waiting.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 06:32 am
Quote:
FBM said: Just checking in to see if anyone had found any evidence for a god yet. No? OK. I see. I'll keep waiting

I told you mate, there's NO evidence an atheist would accept, think it through..Wink
spendius

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 06:57 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Just checking in to see if anyone had found any evidence for a god yet. No? OK. I see. I'll keep waiting.

There is no evidence than any atheists built any civilisations and as there are civilisations their existence is evidence that God/s exist.

How else explain civilisations?
neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 03:09 pm
@FBM,
Where along the continuum of naive realism to epistemological certainty do you wish to judge our evidence?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 03:48 pm
@spendius,
Apisa wrote this on another thread which only has a tenuous connection to this one. There is no difficulty guessing what he was on about.

Quote:
...especially in the case when "the existence or non-existence of gods" is the issue.

If God did not exist Apisa would not, could not, write those words. That he did write those words is proof the God exists.

One really does have to wonder why he has the slightest interest in whether God exists or not. He must be concerned about it. He gives proof of that in bucket-loads. Maybe in his youth he pondered whether bogeymen existed and decided that he didn't know one way or the other as he had no evidence on which to decide and not being prepared to guess on a matter of such importance he lay stiff in bed all night alert to a pin dropped a block away. It didn't help despite the boldness of the decision.

I can assure him that if God does not exist he has nothing to worry about. And in that event the Christian teachings on sexual matters can be seen for what they are. They were a system to improve the manners of European ladies so that men would become imbued with the admiration of conquest, and the patience, cunning and tribulations of bringing them off, and thus would conquer the world and bring back from it all manner of spices, scents, pigments, unguents, dress making materials, psychotropic substances, exotic flowers and anything else it was thought might amuse them. It would be very bad taste to mention the difficulties of the voyages because ladies are very compassionate creatures and would be slightly upset to hear about them.

Thus, by a simple deduction, those undermining Christian morality and blasphemously using God to do it, are seeking to return ladies to their pre-Christian condition of being neither use nor ornament except for a couple of minutes twice a day and to keep the joint in order.

And when Mrs Robinson came upon the scene, a part incidentally that Doris Day refused, saying it was "too naive", it looked as if secularism was gaining serious momentum and events since then have not shown it to be slowing its acceleration. Except in Russia.

So "misogyny" is two opposite things depending on what a man thinks is best for women, as a whole. And the popularity among women of bonnet movies and literature in that genre suggests to me that they know what is best for women. They like being ladies who can make a line of officers swoon simply by a quick flash of an ankle. And that's not easy to do.

And I'm not saying what I think and I can hardly be accused of not being objective. I know what those Jane Austen fanatics in the US would say. It is a lady's privilege to be subjective and a man's burden to have to work with it.

neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 04:02 pm
@spendius,
I believe Frank is hoping to bejeesis that the god his catholic upbringing taught him about is not real. He seems eager to grasp any straw to pad his raft.
spendius

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 04:22 pm
@neologist,
Yes indeed neo. My hopes are in the same place.

I might be also trying to persuade you to consider the possibility of the JWs putting out tentative feelers towards the Vatican. You have some mighty fine churches to offer.

Reaching out. Negotiating a dignified return to the fold.

What do you think would be the main difficulties?
neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 04:49 pm
@spendius,
JWs can't abide lies
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 05:17 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I believe Frank is hoping to bejeesis that the god his catholic upbringing taught him about is not real. He seems eager to grasp any straw to pad his raft.

I think you are just looking to take a shot...which you did.

You missed.

It was an enjoyable miss, though, so I guess thanks are in order.

Thank you.

If you would like to actually discuss what each of us knows about the existence of gods, Neo...I am more than willing to do that. I used to have lots of conversations with the Jehovah's Witnesses that travel regularly in the neighborhood in which I live. Always courteous, friendly discussions. And since I have a shelf full of Bibles (Catholic, Protestant, and Hebrew) we were never lacking for source material.

They seem a bit more distant these days.

That seems to be a direct result of the discussions I've had with them.

So...would you like to engage?
neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 05:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I was wondering how long it would take for you to hear your name dropped. I hope my brothers have not given up on you; but they do try to concentrate on those who are seeking. With me, I know my posts are read by others besides you. If I make sense to any one I am happy. I promised to get back to your slavery question and will soon. I think it would fare better as a new topic, though.
spendius

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 05:51 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
JWs can't abide lies

Nah--it goes deeper than that. "Time flies and the rest is lies", Omar said.

See how eager Apisa is to engage with you.

Not with me though. Apisa will never miss a pot at a sitting duck.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 06:54 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
FBM said: Just checking in to see if anyone had found any evidence for a god yet. No? OK. I see. I'll keep waiting

I told you mate, there's NO evidence an atheist would accept, think it through..Wink

Not yet, anyway, because theists keep bringing fallacious arguments, like question-begging.

@spendius: "There is no evidence than any atheists built any civilisations and as there are civilisations their existence is evidence that God/s exist.

How else explain civilisations?"

Who makes the claim that atheists built any civilizations? Why can't theists make civilizations and still be wrong about the existence of a divine creator? I don't see how one logically impacts the other.

@neologist: "@FBM,
Where along the continuum of naive realism to epistemological certainty do you wish to judge our evidence?"

Depends on the evidence. Whatever's most appropriate. Why would someone make a decision like that before knowing the nature of the evidence? If, like spendius, you try to use a priori reasoning and make a flawed argument, then a logical critique would be appropriate. If you point to physical evidence, then a different approach would be appropriate.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 07:51 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I was wondering how long it would take for you to hear your name dropped. I hope my brothers have not given up on you; but they do try to concentrate on those who are seeking. With me, I know my posts are read by others besides you. If I make sense to any one I am happy. I promised to get back to your slavery question and will soon. I think it would fare better as a new topic, though.

I already is a new topic...or at least a separate topic.

One of the Jehovah's Witnesses who took on the question here in my house came up with, "Well someone had to do the work."

I thought the senior member of that team was going to have a stroke.

The visit ended almost immediately after that response.