spendius

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But your Bible says your god did it.

I don't think so. It has characters say God did it. Which allows the readers to make their own minds up whether God did it or whether it was a natural event which the characters were exploiting and possibly believed themselves. A prophet is not much different to a shaman.

Credulousness being a general characteristic of the population at the time and which would still obtain now if Christianity had not stepped in to lessen it and educate the masses.

That's a nice irony. That the incredulity Apisa attaches to the stories is a function of Christianity and impossible to imagine him having if he was in the station of life he is in now in a world as credulous as it was 3000--2000 years ago which there is no reason to suppose would not be the case had Christianity been crushed by its many enemies who were all fat cats.

But notice how if God didn't do "it", which, as an agnostic Apisa can't rule out, then He can't be held responsible for doing "it".

An atheist laying the blame on God for the horrible "its" is thus cheating and also assuming a dumb audience.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:13 pm
PHAROAH TO HIS FLUNKIES - "Sheesh, I do my best but God has really got it in for me, so far he's hit Egypt with turning the Nile to blood,a frog invasion, clouds of gnats and flies, livestock plagues,boils on people, and hailstorms..
I only hope that's the last of the hassle.
Now let's put it all behind us and move on with our lives and have a feast of celebration.
Sit down everybody and tuck in!
(cue sound of millions of locust wings as they fly through the windows and settle on all the plates of food)
PHAROAH - "Oh ****"...
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:33 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

PHAROAH TO HIS FLUNKIES - "Sheesh, I do my best but God has really got it in for me, so far he's hit Egypt with turning the Nile to blood,a frog invasion, clouds of gnats and flies, livestock plagues,boils on people, and hailstorms..
I only hope that's the last of the hassle.
Now let's put it all behind us and move on with our lives and have a feast of celebration.
Sit down everybody and tuck in!
(cue sound of millions of locust wings as they fly through the windows and settle on all the plates of food)
PHAROAH - "Oh ****"...

It seems almost as much a sting/set-up as the Garden of Eden story. It appears the god wanted to kill a bunch of kids...and just worked his way through the rest of that stuff to get to what he really wanted.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 07:21 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: It seems almost as much a sting/set-up as the Garden of Eden story. It appears the god wanted to kill a bunch of kids...and just worked his way through the rest of that stuff to get to what he really wanted.

You've definitely gone soft since the days you used to polish and hug nuke missiles mate!
The egyptians were cruel slavedrivers and their bad genes/DNA got passed on to their kids, so God had to zap them out of the gene pool to improve the breeding stock of the human race..Smile
RexRed

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 10:18 pm
It is true the gods of religion are all guilty of some form of malefaction. I am trained to generally think of the biblical god when I think of god. But I have also trained myself to be relatively accepting of other gods and systems of belief and find a certain amount of reverence in them. Yet the third option of god is devoid of all religion and comes purely from nature. Like the the sun, the earth and the spirits of kindness and love. This is the god I generally choose to meditate upon. It should not be assumed that whenever there is a mention of god that the religious gods are meant. Contrarily we are but specks in a grand scheme of things and understanding goes beyond our own ability to perceive.

I choose to humble myself to this world out of a thankful heart and the inexplicable chance that my existence is a gift from the powers that be.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 09:07 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: It seems almost as much a sting/set-up as the Garden of Eden story. It appears the god wanted to kill a bunch of kids...and just worked his way through the rest of that stuff to get to what he really wanted.

You've definitely gone soft since the days you used to polish and hug nuke missiles mate!
The egyptians were cruel slavedrivers and their bad genes/DNA got passed on to their kids, so God had to zap them out of the gene pool to improve the breeding stock of the human race..Smile

Ahhh...so your god thinks it is okay to kill innocent children if they have bad genes...and that doing so makes sense to improve the human race.

Hummm...who else used to think that?
RexRed

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 09:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/545940_479041315545897_1330095692_n.jpg
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 09:55 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Ahhh...so your god thinks it is okay to kill innocent children if they have bad genes...and that doing so makes sense to improve the human race. Hummm...who else used to think that?

Hitler didn't care about improving the gene pool of the whole world, he was only interested in making the German race better than anybody else, so he had to be trashed.
And like I said, the Egyptians were a cruel slave-driving heathen race, so good riddance to them too.
Same with the Cong, they wanted to spread evil godless communism, so your Air Force had to go deal with 'em, that's how it's always been throughout world history and always will be; nasty regimes get zapped and it serves 'em right..Smile

B-52's v Charlie
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/B52-Nam_zps2ab4afff.jpg~original

"Listen, a noise on the mountains, like that of a great multitude! They come from faraway lands, from the ends of the heavens, the Lord and the weapons of his wrath, to destroy the whole country, and destroy the sinners within it." (Isaiah 13:2-9)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/B52-Nam-1965_zpsa7ccc48a.jpg~original
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 10:07 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Ahhh...so your god thinks it is okay to kill innocent children if they have bad genes...and that doing so makes sense to improve the human race. Hummm...who else used to think that?

Hitler didn't care about improving the gene pool of the whole world, he was only interested in making the German race better than anybody else, so he had to be trashed.
And like I said, the Egyptians were a cruel slave-driving heathen race, so good riddance to them too.
Same with the Cong, they wanted to spread evil godless communism, so your Air Force had to go deal with 'em, that's how it's always been throughout world history and always will be; nasty regimes get zapped and it serves 'em right..Smile

B-52's v Charlie
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/B52-Nam_zps2ab4afff.jpg~original

"Listen, a noise on the mountains, like that of a great multitude! They come from faraway lands, from the ends of the heavens, the Lord and the weapons of his wrath, to destroy the whole country, and destroy the sinners within it." (Isaiah 13:2-9)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/B52-Nam-1965_zpsa7ccc48a.jpg~original

You are playing the clown once again, Romeo. Playing the clown is always a tough habit to break. You ought to start working on breaking it now...while you still have a chance.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 10:17 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa's fatherly advice: You are playing the clown once again, Romeo. Playing the clown is always a tough habit to break. You ought to start working on breaking it now...while you still have a chance.

Oh God please make me funny..Smile
Hey, I was born and bred in the English midlands city of Leicester (pronounced Lester), King Lears old home town, (Lear-cester, gettit?) and our family go back generations in the area, my surname goes back unchanged to before 1066 and I sometimes wonder if I've got Lear's jesters blood in me..Wink
"The great secret of the successful fool is that he's no fool at all" - Isaac Asimov
"Become a fool by the worlds standards in order to become wise" (1 Cor 3:18 )

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/jester.jpg
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 10:23 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa's fatherly advice: You are playing the clown once again, Romeo. Playing the clown is always a tough habit to break. You ought to start working on breaking it now...while you still have a chance.

Oh God please make me funny..Smile
Hey, I was born and bred in the English midlands city of Leicester (pronounced Lester), King Lears old home town, (Lear-cester, gettit?) and our family go back generations in the area, my surname goes back unchanged to before 1066 and I sometimes wonder if I've got Lear's jesters blood in me..Wink
"The great secret of the successful fool is that he's no fool at all" - Isaac Asimov
"Become a fool by the worlds standards in order to become wise" (1 Cor 3:18 )

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/jester.jpg

Better "your god" make you funny than make you a slave!

And you ought be sure "your god" knows the difference between "funny" and "laughable."
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 06:21 am
Northern Ireland talks prove fruitless after year of renewed rioting, bombs
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/31/22118744-northern-ireland-talks-prove-fruitless-after-year-of-renewed-rioting-bombs?lite

Want some religion anyone?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 06:22 am
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1520775_737617229582591_88897625_n.jpg
spendius

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:35 am
@RexRed,
Pretty good eh Rex? Imagine no dollars.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:14 pm
@RexRed,
I liked that and showed it to my wife, she was not able to get it. At least she is honest and dies her hair blond to match her honesty. ,lol
neologist

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
My hair is starting to die also.

Except for nose hair and ear hair, of course. Sad
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:29 pm
@neologist,
You should see my eyebrows'.
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:33 pm
@neologist,
Nose hair and ear hair, one of the aggravations of middle age. I hate it! Mad
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:33 pm
@reasoning logic,
Perhaps a little plucking is in order. Razz
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
My eyebrows used to grow heavily together. One of the signs of a werewolf, I'm told.