cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No, Frank, it eliminates all gods. I don't believe in any god created by man or thought to exist by man or woman.

That also includes your agnostic god - whoever you imagine that may be.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

No, Frank, it eliminates all gods. I don't believe in any god created by man or thought to exist by man or woman.

That also includes your agnostic god - whoever you imagine that may be.

Merry Christmas, ci.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
MERRY CHRISTMAS, Frank. Mr. Green
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 12:15 am
FRONTLINE
From Jesus to Christ: The First Christians (Pt. 1)
http://video.pbs.org/video/1365214164/

A friend just sent this to me, haven't watched it yet. Thought I would pass it on anyway.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 10:09 am
Quote:
Cicerone said: Why I'm an atheist:
1. The bible is full of errors, omissions, and contradictions.
2. The bible is based on Egypt's book of the dead.
3. Religions have been around long before the "birth" of Jesus
4. I believe in this planet's geographic and life forms based on evolution.
5. Prayers do not work.
6. Humans do not have all the answers, but science has done a pretty decent job considering homo sapiens, human knowledge, and science is "young."
7. I try to base my understanding of this planet, universe, and my life through logic and common sense.

1- In one breath atheists say the bible is full of contradictions, then in the next breath they say it's been tidied up over the centuries to make it look good, wish they'd make up their minds. Fact is, the contradictions PROVE it hasn't been prettied up but has come down to us through the centuries warts and all. For example some of Jesus's gigs flopped-
"..he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief" (Matt 13:58 ) which makes him look bad, yet nobody edited it out..Smile

2- God TRASHED and humiliated the egyptian "gods" bigtime with the 10 plagues to show they don't exist, so I can't see how the bible was supposedly based on the egyptian Book of the Dead whatever that is!

3- When cavemen were freaked by things like lightning storms, no wonder they had to invent "gods" to explain it.

4- Most modern christians believe in evolution, but at the same time they can see God's guiding hand and tweaks behind it to keep it on track.

5- Who says prayers don't work? If you mean you got zilch when you prayed for a lottery win I'm not surprised!
Prayer works much more subtly than that, for example if reality is just a dream we can regard Jesus as a 'Master of the Art of Dream Manipulation', seemingly bending the laws of physics to produce what people saw as "miracles", and he said we could do it too!
So in a sense, prayer is "thought-pressure" that can affect the 'Reality-Dream'

6- Yes scientists do a good job, I got College of Preceptors exam passes in General Science and Advanced Science myself in 1963, and also see religion as a "science" in itself! For example Jesus said- "I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going...I am not of this world" (John 8:14/ 8:23)
so surely that must whet scientists appetites to look into him and religion a little deeper?
It's almost as if Satan has twisted many scientists against religion (like Dawkins) to stop them using their brainpower to unlock the secrets of the bible.

7- If an alien lands on earth and says "I'm not from this world", and does things beyond our technology to prove it, our socks would be blown off.
Jesus said and did exactly that, so in a sense he was an "alien" visitor who's been and gone..Smile
However he did say "I'll be back" (Mark 13:26)
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 10:14 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
2- God TRASHED and humiliated the egyptian "gods" bigtime with the 10 plagues to show they don't exist, so I can't see how the bible was supposedly based on the egyptian Book of the Dead whatever that is!

Actually, another interpretation could be that the god inflicted great suffering and horrors on the common people of Egypt for no reason other than that their Pharaoh did not meet the exacting standards of the god.

And the god then slaughtered all the innocent first-born children of these people...to show what a powerful god it was.

Hell of a god.

If you love that god...you must absolutely adore Hannibal Lecter.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 10:32 am
Quote:
Frankie Apisa said: Actually, another interpretation could be that the god inflicted great suffering and horrors on the common people of Egypt for no reason other than that their Pharaoh did not meet the exacting standards of the god.
And the god then slaughtered all the innocent first-born children of these people...to show what a powerful god it was.
Hell of a god. If you love that god...you must absolutely adore Hannibal Lecter.

Pharoah was an "egyptian Hitler" and he and the egyptians were slave-drivers who were keeping the Israelites as slaves, so God sent Moses to warn Pharoah to free them or be in a world o' hurt, he couldn't have been fairer than that!
But Pharoah ignored the warning and told Moses "On yer bike mate", bad call..
In a sense, Eisenhower, Roosevelt, Churchill and Truman were modern-day Moses who God used to bust the nazis and japs asses..Smile
"Raise a banner on a bare hilltop, I have summoned my warriors to carry out my wrath..they come from faraway lands..to destroy the whole country..and destroy the sinners within it" (Isaiah ch 13)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/iwoflag.jpg
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 12:03 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frankie Apisa said: Actually, another interpretation could be that the god inflicted great suffering and horrors on the common people of Egypt for no reason other than that their Pharaoh did not meet the exacting standards of the god.
Hell of a god. If you love that god...you must absolutely adore Hannibal Lecter.

Pharoah was an "egyptian Hitler" and he and the egyptians were slave-drivers who were keeping the Israelites as slaves, so God sent Moses to warn Pharoah to free them or be in a world o' hurt, he couldn't have been fairer than that!
But Pharoah ignored the warning and told Moses "On yer bike mate", bad call..
In a sense, Eisenhower, Roosevelt, Churchill and Truman were modern-day Moses who God used to bust the nazis and japs asses..Smile
"Raise a banner on a bare hilltop, I have summoned my warriors to carry out my wrath..they come from faraway lands..to destroy the whole country..and destroy the sinners within it" (Isaiah ch 13)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/iwoflag.jpg

Right...the god punished the people of Egypt...for the "sins" of the Pharaoh...tortured them using all sorts of afflictions and torment.

And then, to make sure "they" got the message...he slaughtered their innocent young first-born babies.

No sparer of the rod, that god.

Kicked the **** out of the Egyptians, though. Gotta give him that.

A beautiful move for the god.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 12:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
RF, The Israelites were not slaves in Egypt. Those who built the pyramids were paid. There are many discoveries that challenged old myths about the Israeli's building the pyramids of Eqypt.

http://news.discovery.com/history/ancient-egypt/pyramids-tombs-giza-egypt.htm
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 12:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

RF, The Israelites were not slaves in Egypt. Those who built the pyramids were paid. There are many discoveries that challenged old myths about the Israeli's building the pyramids of Eqypt.

http://news.discovery.com/history/ancient-egypt/pyramids-tombs-giza-egypt.htm

As you mention here, ci, many archaeologists and historians think the Israelites were NOT slaves in Egypt. And many think they were not "lead out of captivity by Moses"...but were expelled as unwanted guests by Pharaoh.

Wish we could know for certain.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 12:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You,
Quote:

The only "certainty" we have are the archaeological finds and the interpretation of the experts of those finds. That's good enough for me!

There is no proof the pyramids were built by slaves. NONE.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 01:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You,
Quote:

The only "certainty" we have are the archaeological finds and the interpretation of the experts of those finds. That's good enough for me!

There is no proof the pyramids were built by slaves. NONE.

I agree, ci. There is no proof the pyramids were built by slaves...none whatsoever.

I was talking about the possibility proposed by some scholars that rather than being lead out of Egypt by Moses...the ancient Hebrews were expelled from Egypt...if they ever were in Egypt.

There are lots of things I would love to be certain about...because I am not nearly as satisfied by some of the things that satisfy you on these complex questions.

spendius

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 02:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I agree, ci. There is no proof the pyramids were built by slaves...none whatsoever.

One might have to assume they were madmen if they weren't slaves.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 02:14 pm
Moses actually KILLED an Egyptian slave-driver earlier in his career..Smile

MOSES (to Egyptian foreman) - "Hey mister, maybe you'd like to stop beating up that poor slave and try me on fer size?"
EGYPTIAN - "You talk mighty big mister, but can you walk the walk?"
MOSES - "Your move"..
Bam!....Bam!...Bam!...Bam!
EGYPTIAN (dying) "ugh..i'll get a good nights sleep tonight..."
ONLOOKER - "Hey Mose you'd better git outta town real fast, Pharoahs gonna be comin after yer fer sure"..
MOSES - "I know it old-timer, I'm a-headin fer them thar hills"
PHAROAH (on hearing the news) "Looks like we got ourselves a fugitive..Average foot speed over uneven ground, barring injury, is four miles an hour. That gives us a radius of six miles. What I want out of each and everyone of you is a hard target search of every residence, warehouse, farmhouse, hen house, outhouse and doghouse in that area.
Go get him!"

("One day Moses went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. Glancing this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand" (Exodus 2:11)

And hey Frankie baby, you say God was cruel for zapping the "innocent" Egyptian men/women/children but in your Air Force days you were quite prepared to wipe out whole Russki cities with your nuke-carrying B-47 bombers..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub4/Tsar-bomb.jpg
spendius

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 02:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
That wasn't fair Romeo. He was only following orders.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 02:32 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Moses actually KILLED an Egyptian slave-driver earlier in his career..Smile

MOSES (to Egyptian foreman) - "Hey mister, maybe you'd like to stop beating up that poor slave and try me on fer size?"
EGYPTIAN - "You talk mighty big mister, but can you walk the walk?"
MOSES - "Your move"..
Bam!....Bam!...Bam!...Bam!
EGYPTIAN (dying) "ugh..i'll get a good nights sleep tonight..."
ONLOOKER - "Hey Mose you'd better git outta town real fast, Pharoahs gonna be comin after yer fer sure"..
MOSES - "I know it old-timer, I'm a-headin fer them thar hills"
PHAROAH (on hearing the news) "Looks like we got ourselves a fugitive..Average foot speed over uneven ground, barring injury, is four miles an hour. That gives us a radius of six miles. What I want out of each and everyone of you is a hard target search of every residence, warehouse, farmhouse, hen house, outhouse and doghouse in that area.
Go get him!"

("One day Moses went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. Glancing this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand" (Exodus 2:11)

And hey Frankie baby, you say God was cruel for zapping the "innocent" Egyptian men/women/children but in your Air Force days you were quite prepared to wipe out whole Russki cities with your nuke-carrying B-47 bombers..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub4/Tsar-bomb.jpg

Yeah, but I am not a god that people like you worship.

Your god is a god that people like you worship.

Hell of a lesson he taught that nasty Pharaoh, though...even if it did mean torturing the people of Egypt for all those years...and killing all those innocent babies.

The god of the Bible, Romeo...is one of the most barbaric monsters ever. The god makes Hitler and Hannibal Lecter look like reasonable people.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 02:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
There's never been vengeance like god's vengeance in all of human written history.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 02:51 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Hell of a lesson he taught that nasty Pharaoh, though...even if it did mean torturing the people of Egypt for all those years...and killing all those innocent babies

Wait a minute Charlie, there was a TV docu a few years ago which atheists claim "prove" that all the 10 Plagues may simply have been perfectly natural occurences caused by freak weather conditions and stuff.
So come on you aths and ags, were they natural, or did a nasty God do them?..Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 03:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

There's never been vengeance like god's vengeance in all of human written history.

That's for sure, ci! Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 03:26 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Hell of a lesson he taught that nasty Pharaoh, though...even if it did mean torturing the people of Egypt for all those years...and killing all those innocent babies

Wait a minute Charlie, there was a TV docu a few years ago which atheists claim "prove" that all the 10 Plagues may simply have been perfectly natural occurences caused by freak weather conditions and stuff.
So come on you aths and ags, were they natural, or did a nasty God do them?..Smile

Beats the piss out of me. But your Bible says your god did it.